Kirkster's Lefty Lounge - Lefties, share your stories.

kirkster57

• Members

Originally posted by Mr_GoodBomb

Yeah, but the real hell is finding a lefty amp!

You might be joking, but.....

the biggest pain i find is when I'm plugged into a bunch of pedals in front of me (either using an amp without a loop, or with the big muff, which i always put in thru the front ewnd, between the guitar and the amp) - the lead is always diagonally across my body. I've seriously considered having the pedals i would be using between guitar and amp rewired to other way around....

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by kirkster57

Someone said they were made in the same plant. That's wasn't me. I have never seen a Tokai in person, so I can't comment on quality. The MIJ ones are expensive. I am sure the are outsanding quality.

the MIJ Tokais differ from the Gibsons only in that they are cellulose not nitro like the US Gibbies - otherwise, they are apparently often more "historically" accurate than a gibson. In Europe, as in Japan, they even have the "correct" Gibson headstock. The only guitar I would really consider putting up against them would be the MIJ Epiphone Elites, also Gibson beaters.

I don't know about US standards, but here a very beautiful Tokai LP Std can be had for between just under a half and a half of the cost of a new Gibson. Epi elites, so far, are a little more expnsive - maybe one to two hundred pounds sterling, depending on model.

• Members

Originally posted by Tokai-Guy

Edward, it's a Korean model.I bought it from a place in Swansea called Hunters Music.

Cool, i might look them up if there aren't any in London.

There's so many things i want at the minute and so little cash, but I'm due a bit of a windfall (got a few things to sell - couple of old guitars, old amps, and a diamond engagement ring that was only worn for a few weeks among em, heh), so once i have a nice new guitar amp i can settle with sorted, somethingl ike that could be high up my list.

Would be interested to hear how you get on with that guitar.... I'm not too worried if i can't find one in London (or can save a significant chunk by going mail order) - hell, how often can we lefties say that we were able to buy off the peg without having to order in and commit there and then... and Tokais have a rep for good QC.... Interested, though. What were the finish options like? I'd love Pelham blue if i could get it...

• Members

Dude, Empty your PM mailbox so I can reply to your PM form the other day.

kirkster

Originally posted by Derelict King

Here's my family:

Fender American Standard Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard, Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport, G&L Rampage, G&L Invader XL & a Fender DG-10 acoustic.

DK

• Members

Edward, I got a Vintage Sun-Burst model. according to Tokai UK, the FB-45 only comes in Vintage Sun-burst and Black.But they boast on there custom-shop page that they will do any guitar, in any colour given three months notice.I dont know if they charge extra for this, but they also say on the same page that they will make any model in Left-Hand for no extra cost, so maybe there would'nt be an up-charge for the different colour? All I do know is that the major companies should take a look at their site, the colour options alone are fantastic!If you dont get one on Charring Cross Road, I dont think you'll get one anywhere else in London, I certainly doubt if you'll get one cheaper off a dealer than

• Members

just got an e-mail form my buddy Jason from Drum City Guitarland. He said that the NAMM show was nuts and he has a BUNCH of new lefties coming. I will keep you all posted. DCGL is a very lefty friendly place.

kirkster

Good to hear; I've always been impressed by their lefty-friendliness.

• Members

Thanks all for helping to make this thread a success so far. Things are much more relaxed here than on the FDP. Would you all agree?

Let's keep it going!

kirkster

Yow! Ya hit a nerve there, mentioning the FDP. Not that I was ever a member there, but it reminds me of my late, lamented Tele , which was ruined by a local music store when I took it in for a routine neck adjustment.

• Members

Thanks all for helping to make this thread a success so far. Things are much more relaxed here than on the FDP. Would you all agree?

Let's keep it going!

kirkster

FDP is going to full "pay to play" system where you must pay money to post. Take a look at your "edit registration" link and at the bottom you'll see :

"Your posting priveledges expire on...."

• Members
Originally posted by Edward

the MIJ Tokais differ from the Gibsons only in that they are cellulose not nitro like the US Gibbies - otherwise, they are apparently often more "historically" accurate than a gibson. In Europe, as in Japan, they even have the "correct" Gibson headstock. The only guitar I would really consider putting up against them would be the MIJ Epiphone Elites, also Gibson beaters.

Is that soooooo.....Well that explains why these are not available for our American friends.
what about the Korean made Tokais then? According to Tokai Bob the only difference is that the MIJ have more expensive wood, like Japanese Mahogany or Maple. Would that explain a 100% price difference? What about the pickups, hardware and general construction like fretwork, bindings etc?

hear you later...

:cool:

• Members

Let's keep it going!

kirkster

Kirkster, I just gotta get used to all these buttons, options asf, but this thread has got a cool vibe and it's thanks to you for starting it, and being a fine coach!!!

Rico

:D

• Members
Originally posted by Tokai-Guy

Edward, I got a Vintage Sun-Burst model. according to Tokai UK, the FB-45 only comes in Vintage Sun-burst and Black.But they boast on there custom-shop page that they will do any guitar, in any colour given three months notice.I dont know if they charge extra for this, but they also say on the same page that they will make any model in Left-Hand for no extra cost, so maybe there would'nt be an up-charge for the different colour? All I do know is that the major companies should take a look at their site, the colour options alone are fantastic!If you dont get one on Charring Cross Road, I dont think you'll get one anywhere else in London, I certainly doubt if you'll get one cheaper off a dealer than

• Members
Originally posted by Rico

Originally posted by Edward

Is that soooooo.....Well that explains why these are not available for our American friends.

what about the Korean made Tokais then? According to Tokai Bob the only difference is that the MIJ have more expensive wood, like Japanese Mahogany or Maple. Would that explain a 100% price difference? What about the pickups, hardware and general construction like fretwork, bindings etc?

hear you later...

:cool:

Yeah, I'm not certain of the exact differences between MIJ and Korea Tokai, as I've not had the chance to back to back to any extent. The MIJ pups and things are certainly different, different electronics.... though i suspect much like MIM and US Fender, it's down to taste to quite some degree whether the price gap is worth it. I'm sure the same Epi to Gibby law of diminishing returns applies - I guess the difference is that the MIJ tokai stuff still comes out at a price that I would be prepared to consider paying for a great guitar, whereas the Gibbys are beyond what i could (or would) stretch to, especially given the competition.

The Japanese range, at least as far as i can see from what reaches the UK, is more select than the Korean one, concentrating more on the most popular gibby designs - LP, SG, and semies. The Korean operation seems to run the full gamut including Firebirds and the rest - Fenders I think are all over. (It's actually not easy to tell fvrom the website what is built where).

I've not researched the Korean LP copies fully, though AFAIK they can have laminate tops, that sort of thing (a la Epi). I'm sure i remember reading the spec is different on a number of Korean guitars as well - some are nato not mahongany, or have a maple neck or an alder body or whatever instead of mahogany, whereas the Japanese stuff is built exactly to the "correct" design. Not that that alone would make the Koreans any lesser of a guitar, just different. I doubt the Koreans could be beaten for the price - just a more cost-effective built with less expensive parts (and labour, obviously).

The Tokai MIK SG - can't remember the model number, think it's the SG-60, but basically it's the small-pickguard early SG design - sells in the UK for

Archived