I ordered a $1400 guitar, got a $5600 gutar instead and I'm bummed :-(

Notes_Norton

• Members

I ordered a Parker Dragonfly from an on-line music retailer (who shall remain nameless) and the salesman on the phone tells me I got the last natural colored one in stock.

The shipping is fast, priority mail, I get it, open it and the first thing that I see is that it's dark mahogany instead of light alder. Then I notice it's not a DragonFly at all, but a Parker Mojo MIDI Fly guitar with a list price of $5,600.

So following the "do unto others" ethic, I immediately call the retailer and inform them of their mistake. I tell them I would gladly send them the Fly back for the guitar that I ordered. The customer service rep tells me I got the last one, and they will not be getting any more for at least 99 days.

So I ask them what can I do? I really wanted the DragonFly. They said I can (1) Keep the Mojo (2) Send it back for a refund on my credit card (3) Send it back for store credit, and I have 45 days to decide (they didn't even offer to pay return shipping).

I am an excellent sax player. I was first in the state each and every year I was in school, and I've logged decades of professional work since then - it's what I do for a living. I've played either rhythm guitar (barre chords) or bass for years when the songwriter didn't have the wisdom to include a sax part. A couple of years ago I decided to get serious on the guitar and put some serious practice time in, and now I can bang out a decent rock/blues/country solo consisting of predominantly pentatonic, blues, and major scales. In other words, I ain't no Slash by any stretch of the imagination.

So me owning a Parker Mojo MIDI is like owning a Ferrari to take to the grocery store and back. Nothing wrong with that.

But I like the pickup configuration of the DragonFly better and I definitely need the light color. I wear black on stage, and switching instruments is good show-biz. The dark mahogany will not show up.

So I flip-flopped, hemmed and hawed, paced the floor, talked to my spouse (also a guitarist) and finally decide to order the DragonFly from another dealer who is having it shipped direct from the Factory, and sell the Mojo.

I'll try to take some pictures soon and put it up for sale. I'm gigging all weekend (with my old LTD guitar so that I don't scratch the Fly).

I figure if I sell the Mojo MIDI Fly for about $3500, I can pay for both and end up with a free guitar. The Mojo without MIDI sells for about $3500, and the MIDI sells for about $4200.

It would make a great Christmas present.

So how lucky can a guy get?

What would you do?

If you want to be informed when I put it up for sale, let me know.

Notes ?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No worries you did the right thing first and let them know about their mistake in your favor. In your favor money-wise anyway, as yeah, it IS a much better guitar, but not the one you want.

So sell the Mojo to pay for the Dragonfly (and more), and enjoy the good luck. :thu:

• Members

Do you remember the name of the rep you talked with? Write down as much as you can remember about the phone conversation. They may attempt to bill your card for the difference. So you'll need this info if/when you need to dispute the charges.

At least you were honest with them. Good Karma will ensue.

• Members

Same thing happened to me when I bought my first guitar. I ended up getting the next model up which cost 2x as much. Thing is I didn't figure it out until two years later (I was a total noob). Still play that guitar, so it worked out and I don't think I was dishonest about, being I didn't even know.

• Members

All I know is that when life gives you lemons, you're supposed to make lemonade.

So mash that midi and get some juice out of it.

But I'm sorry, this thread kinda sucks with out at least some web-shots, I just got out of bed and it's too early to get by on imagination so -

Are they like these?

DF524.jpg

P1007056-front-l.jpg

Didn't see a darker one on the web than that unless is was an odd color or black

I have an older Parker Fly Classic that I got on a blowout sale for $1100. Don't care for its tone though, except for the piezo/acoustic tones. It's electric guitar tones are rather "bleh". Mine has DiMarzios in it. Usually I like that brand, but not so in this guitar. Do like the feel of a Fly though.

• Members

I think you'll have a hard time getting $3500 out of that, maybe $2500 if you're lucky but $2000 is probably a more realistic estimate.

Parkers recent price increases have made the new prices of Fly's insane and the resale value of them has not really increased proportionally - regular Fly Mojos are selling for ~$1500 on eBay. Add to that the fact that MIDI functionality is a very niche market.

• Members

Am I missing something ,surely if you keep it they will charge the price to your credit card .

If it's a reputable company, they charge you before the order is picked for shipment. So, presumably, he was charged for the guitar he ordered and not for the guitar he actually received.

I'm guessing the Dragonfly was no longer on hand, so the company fulfilled the order with the next higher model available.

• Members

Aside from the guitar issue...

now I can bang out a decent rock/blues/country solo consisting of predominantly pentatonic, blues, and major scales. In other words, I ain't no Slash by any stretch of the imagination.

...doesn't that mean that you ARE quite Slash-like by any s.o.t.i.?

Heck of a deal as far as retail value goes that's for sure. You'd think that the big name retailer wouldn't worry about those strings that they 'about-faced' on.

• Members

Devil's advocate: professional musicians require professional equipment. It may be a ferrari that you're driving to the grocery store but you have a piece of professional gear that will suit you well for your chosen profession.

Or return for credit.

Or sell for $.

I'm concerned that someone will notice the error after the fact and all of sudden you've got a huge charge on your credit card.

Let us know how it turned out.

Pictures of this guitar?

• Members

I don't think that they can bill him after the fact for their mistake. It'd be pretty easy to dispute or else companies would be pulling this kind of tactic all the time. Order an Epiphone, get a Gibson and then two weeks later a mysterious charge shows up on your credit card bill.

• Members

I don't think that they can bill him after the fact for their mistake. It'd be pretty easy to dispute or else companies would be pulling this kind of tactic all the time. Order an Epiphone, get a Gibson and then two weeks later a mysterious charge shows up on your credit card bill.

Exactly. The law frowns upon the bait and switch. It's one thing to send out a comparable product of clearly higher value at no upcharge -- hardly anyone complains of getting a lot more for the same money -- but to arbitrarily decide that a customer should pay a higher price than they agreed to is a big no-no.

(And before anyone decides to jump on that last part, I was referring to this specific example. I'm not talking about the broader tactics of salesmen.)

Archived