I ordered a $1400 guitar, got a $5600 gutar instead and I'm bummed :-(

Notes_Norton

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Man, some people just like to argue to their wits end. He's already done this. Every time he comes back with one thing, you add in another. Cripes.

Waiting for the post where you're telling him to drive down to the store in person.

Of course he should do this.

He is legally required to drive there, guitar in hand, and beg them to take it back.

The begging must include at least three bouts of weeping in front of nine witnesses.

After doing this a minimum of four times he then must duct tape the guitar to the store owner's car windshield and set off no less then three cans of air horns while wearing a 'take this guitar back' sandwich board.

If they *then* send him the guitar back in the mail, he can start the process of possibly keeping it.

• Members

I don't know why this has been on my mind, but I went down to the local law school and talked with a professor there about this. :D In my defense, I work with this guy on standardized test preparation and we had a prior appointment.

(all quotes from here on out are paraphrased)

He gave a really complicated answer, but the gist was most courts would side with the OP due to several legal principles with funny latin names.

He mentioned that cases like this, 99% of the time, are ruled in the purchaser's favor. "Consumer protection laws are pretty strong."

And then he mentioned the very same FTC article that a few in this thread were decrying as not applicable. "I think a lawyer could argue that it doesn't count considering he DID request something from the seller, but the problem is he didn't request THAT particular item. So I think most courts would say it's a 'free gift' and tell the company to move on." :o

He also said, "If this is a big box type of company they probably won't even bother dealing with it."

• Members

Didn't have time to read the whole thread, but I see this two ways:

1) You tried to do the honest thing, they said keep it. Your credit card was billed the correct/original amount. CANCEL YOUR CARD now so no further charges can be billed if you plan on selling the guitar and MF decides 60 days down the road to charge you the difference. -OR-

2) Write a letter stating that you have the guitar and that you'll wait xx number of days for them to respond if they wish to correct their error (30/60/90 days, whatever you deem fair). THEN sell it and get what you wanted.

I would not sell the guitar NOW and keep your credit card open. As others said, someone will likely have to pay for the error at some point, and they may come back and attempt to charge you. The sales person might say "well, I asked him to return it or pay the difference" when his job is on the line. You never know...

If you don't cancel your card, you could simply request a new one with a different number. That should't affect your credit, but check first just to be safe. Just make sure all the charges you put on the card recently have gone through before your request.

Keep in mind, ymmv, and this is just IMHO. GOOD LUCK!

• Members

well, you have PMs blocked... Apparently that is some new-fangled thingy with the forum upgrade.

Thanks for the heads-up!

I guess when they updated, the settings must have changed. I've clicked the "radio button" and PMs are now supposedly accepted.

If that doesn't work, you can always go to http://www.nortonmusic.com and click the contact link to e-mail me.

Notes

• 1 month later...

Archived