When I tell someone I play guitar why do they always assume electric guitar?

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

I never even noticed. I would assume most people that aren't guitarists probably don't see any differnce between electrics and acoustics.

Thats probably it. I'm surprised how many people don't even know there is more than one type of guitar. I knew a guy that has a 1936 Gibson ES-150 and his wife didn't even know the difference between an acoustic and an electric.

• Members

When I tell people I play the electric guitar, why do they always assume I have a Les Paul and not a Strat?

If you look very masculine and the women find you attractive - that's why.

If you look very feeble and sickly, perhaps quite pale and sniffle a lot then YEAH!! They should assume Strat!! Bast3rds.

• Members

Actually, I find other guitar players tend to assume electric unless otherwise is specified, while other non-players (especially in Christian church circles, fwiw) tend to assume acoustic unless electric is specified. I imagine for the most part it simply boils down to what the individual is used to seeing and perceives as 'the norm'.

• Members

Thats probably it. I'm surprised how many people don't even know there is more than one type of guitar. I knew a guy that has a 1936 Gibson ES-150 and his wife didn't even know the difference between an acoustic and an electric.

A wife that can't tell one guitar from another is a good thing and not to be trifled with. Keep all of your new guitars the same general color and you can acquire a closet full with her thinking you only have one or two.

• Members
A wife that can't tell one guitar from another is a good thing and not to be trifled with. Keep all of your new guitars the same general color and you can acquire a closet full with her thinking you only have one or two.

On the other end of the spectrum is the wife that is as a big a gear-whore as you are. That also equals win. But sadly most are somewhere is the middle, thus keeping most us in constant need of good excuses ... :lol:

Archived