1972 stratocaster ?

volkanstrat

• Members

Hi guys,

I'm about to buy a 72 strat for 2990 Usd it's all original except the pickups which are tokai's from the same era, I tried it today sounded really nice and growly...

Seller told me about the pickups after I tried it, I was a little disappointed as thinking that it was all original. Neck has a gap at one side and it will need a refret a little while later as it 's never been refretted.

So my question is ; do yu think it is a good deal ? please consider that I'll have to sell my 62 thinskin with Suhr v60lp ( 1850 usd ) and a Mex thinline deluxe (800 usd) to buy it ..you can hear my strat from the youtube link in my signature.

FenderUsa1972Stratocaster.jpg

• Members

I'd verify neck end date stamp, body neck pocket stamp (if they had them back then) and pot date codes. If legit, you can get the pups 2nd hand, though I wouldn't doubt if those run $750 or so (maybe more). You'd then have a period-correct guitar to resale if you ever wanted, which would certainly help your selling price.

• Members

It wouldn't be worth it to me - it needs a lot of work to get it where you want, and the appeal of owning a guitar from the 70s just doesn't draw me. If that's what you really want, and you won't miss the stuff you have to sell to get it, then it may be worth it.

• Members

Get a used Custom shop or a Eric Johnson Strat. Those years (70's) were some of the worst for Fender.

I have a '74 Fender strat, and it's a great guitar.

This general knowledge that 70's fenders were terrible guitars is generally wrong; there were PLENTY of nice fenders made during those years. Sure, there were bad guitars made, but not all of them.

I would say they're NOT "vintage" instruments, I'd say they are "older", but if that's what the market is calling them these days, so be it.

• Members

I picked up a '74 last year, re-fretted with jumbos, plec'd and with a set of antiquities (original pups in case) for $900. I play my EJ strat more. You can pick up a used EJ for about $1200. Your '62 thin skin is a nice guitar I wouldn't sell it, I have one of those too. Although I still play my EJ more or my '52 RI tele.

• Members

I have a '74 Fender strat, and it's a great guitar.

This general knowledge that 70's fenders were terrible guitars is generally wrong; there were PLENTY of nice fenders made during those years. Sure, there were bad guitars made, but not all of them.

I would say they're NOT "vintage" instruments, I'd say they are "older", but if that's what the market is calling them these days, so be it.

My dad's electric is a '73 Strat - and it's one of the best I've ever played. He bought it used in 1974 and tried out dozens in the shop and chose the best one, above plenty of pre-CBS Strats - which by today would have been far more valuable.

That said, your average 70s Strat isn't miles better than an average modern one.

And on the other point - my SG turns 'vintage' soon - made in 1991 no less! :facepalm:

• Members

Frankly my thinskin is the best strat I've played and owned...used it at couple of album recordings and got plenty of compliments from the people that it is the one the best strat tone they've heard.

I was thinking it as an investment but it would be an investment if it were all original, I guess majority here think the same, so I thank you all...I guess the best is to save for a pre-CBS one :)

Archived