1972 stratocaster ?

volkanstrat

• Members

Frankly my thinskin is the best strat I've played and owned...used it at couple of album recordings and got plenty of compliments from the people that it is the one the best strat tone they've heard.

I was thinking it as an investment but it would be an investment if it were all original, I guess majority here think the same, so I thank you all...I guess the best is to save for a pre-CBS one
:)

Good thinking.

• Members

Now everyone posting their beautiful 70's strats, kind of torture, I'm sure you also bought them all original and with pretty good deals
:)

Don't believe the hype dude. make sure you give it a good playing before you decide. I'm sure there are great 70's strats out there but I personally think their reputation for {censored} is well earned.

• Members

Strat build quality had by no means hit bottom in 1972 ... those were masterpieces by comparison with the monstrosities CBS/Fender were cranking out five-plus years later.

That said, if that was my Strat-targeted budget, I'd be going for a lightly-used current model. Provided you're okay with Fender's current standard 'modern-C' neck-profile (which I'm not as it goes: too skinny for my paws), you'll be able to get something really fine. Fender are currently making their best guitars since the Leo Age.

I'd aim for a Hot Rod 62 or something similar.

• Members

Are 70's Fender pickups really worth the hype???

If you think that they are then pick up a set and throw them in. Otherwise just sell it and be honest about the Pickups not being original. Most players would want the upgrade in quality rather than an showpiece in my opinion but what do I know.

All my 70's strats have been rewired and re-pickup'd because the original Fender pickups were terrible and for the most part useless. Again... this is my opinion.

My 73 strat is orignal body, neck and plate and the dates are all very different.

The body is dated 1971

The neck is dated 1972

and the Serial on the neckplate is1973 era

That is how it came out of the factory. Definitely a "Bottom of the box" parts guitar from fender.

I might have at least 3 sets of 1970's fender pickups laying around if anyone is interested.

1971_Blonde_Strat_1024_00.jpg

• Members

Here's my take. You only have one guitar life to live. If you've found a guitar that absolutely 100% rocks your world and can afford it... then get it.

Having said that, north of $2,500 sounds pretty high for a 1970anything that has some issues.

As far as which years were great and which were junk... I'm not strat expert, but I've played hundreds of vintage strats and I honestly believe the best playing and feeling vintage strat I've ever played was a 1972. One year before I was born. Not crazy heavy but certainly not a lightweight like some earlier strats. Played absolutely like a million bucks. I think at the time it was $600 or so, but this was back 88-89 or so.

Having said that, the absolute best playing strat I've ever played at any price of any vintage was a Custom Shop Relic about 18 months ago. Oly white, mint guard, rosewood fretboard, CS69s. $2,800 and it would have been worth absolutely every single cent. I played it right out of the box and it wasn't on the wall for an entire week before someone snapped it up which is really saying something in this economy and in our relatively small market.

I judge guitars based on what my hands tell me and what my wallet will allow. I'm not buying them for future value. I buy them for how much enjoyment I think I'll get out of them.

Sorry there wasn't any real advice in my post. :lol:

Get it if it's blown you away but from reading your words, it doesn't sound like it's REALLY blown you away that much... just sort of impressed you a bit. Maybe any 1970-1975 strat would impress you. But if the guitar didn't totally rock your world, it's not worth it as it's priced too high for what it physically is.

• Members

Here's my take. You only have one guitar life to live. If you've found a guitar that absolutely 100% rocks your world and can afford it... then get it.

Having said that, north of $2,500 sounds pretty high for a 1970anything that has some issues.

As far as which years were great and which were junk... I'm not strat expert, but I've played hundreds of vintage strats and I honestly believe the best playing and feeling vintage strat I've ever played was a 1972. One year before I was born. Not crazy heavy but certainly not a lightweight like some earlier strats. Played absolutely like a million bucks. I think at the time it was $600 or so, but this was back 88-89 or so.

Having said
that
, the absolute best playing strat I've ever played at any price of any vintage was a Custom Shop Relic about 18 months ago. Oly white, mint guard, rosewood fretboard, CS69s. $2,800 and it would have been worth absolutely every single cent. I played it right out of the box and it wasn't on the wall for an entire week before someone snapped it up which is really saying something in this economy and in our relatively small market.

I judge guitars based on what my hands tell me and what my wallet will allow. I'm not buying them for future value. I buy them for how much enjoyment I think I'll get out of them.

Sorry there wasn't any real advice in my post.
:lol:

Get it if it's blown you away but from reading your words, it doesn't sound like it's REALLY blown you away that much... just sort of impressed you a bit. Maybe any 1970-1975 strat would impress you. But if the guitar didn't totally rock your world, it's not worth it as it's priced too high for what it physically is.

Yeah couldn't be more right...I guess if I was blown away this thread would have been " Check out my new strat " thread, actually we don't have many old strats here , you are right about that maybe any 70-75 strat would impress me either ! I was excited too much in the beginning but after I calmed down thanks to you guys:)

Archived