WTF??? Djent???

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Members

But it was supposed to have blown your mind, maaan... People who like them always talk about "polyrhythms" and the mathematical complexity of their music.

Whoa, it's so COMPLEX and MATHEMATICALLY CHALLENGING that I didn't even
notice
that it sounds like crap! I was trying to keep the beat and it was like I was doing algebra homework! Hell yeah! This is FUN!

Also, I was wrong earlier when I said that metal fans need music to be lower than low. That doesn't appear to be the case here, as djent sounds tinny and plastic and awful for other reasons.

Now, I don't want to go ahead and bash you here after you said those nice things about my new guitars, but...

Bareknuckle was founded by self-appointed metalhead Tim Mills, who even toured with Iced Earth as their lead guitarist back in 2006-7 or so.

So them catering to that demographic is not only due to market demand, but very much by choice and love for that particular brand of music.

As for your comments on Meshuggah, that's like me pissing all over Miles Davis just because I don't like and don't understand jazz. Just because it's not my cup of tea doesn't mean it's not brilliant for those that are into that style of music. Besides, how can you not like a band that makes a music video of themselves playing air-instruments and screaming into a pen on the tour bus!?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Now, I don't want to go ahead and bash you here after you said those nice things about my new guitars, but...

Bareknuckle was founded by self-appointed metalhead Tim Mills, who even toured with Iced Earth as their lead guitarist back in 2006-7 or so.

So them catering to that demographic is not only due to market demand, but very much by choice and love for that particular brand of music.

As for your comments on Meshuggah, that's like me pissing all over Miles Davis just because I don't like and don't understand jazz. Just because it's not my cup of tea doesn't mean it's not brilliant for those that are into that style of music. Besides, how can you not like a band that makes a music video of themselves playing air-instruments and screaming into a pen on the tour bus!?

Relax. I make fun of Miles Davis, too. :poke:

EG

• Members

One thing I think about when I write heavy music...

A friend of mine saw Between the Buried and Me once. I was unable to attend the show, so I asked him if he liked it. He said "They were really good, but I just wanted to know when I could headbang."

That's about how I feel about Djent stuff... Just let me rock out without having to count all the time.

• Members

I have nothing at all against Tim Mills OR metal. Seriously. This particular style of metal is just atonal and lousy and many modern variations on metal are. BK can make whatever pickups they like, of course, but the demands of the market seem to getting more and more extreme and obscure and... I hate to say it... away from anything that sounds like decent, enjoyable music. That's just my opinion, of course. :D

And no genuine hate. None whatsoever. I just reserve the right to poke fun and that dork Miles Davis is no exception. It's just KIND OF blue? C'mon, is it blue or isn't it??

• Members

It's hard to do algebra while taking bong hits. EG

Nice try. Not!! Unlike a lot of the klassik rawk and some of the blooze so many in this forum listen to, this stuff is not like music by say the Grateful Deal or (some of) Pink Floyd - music you get high to.

Somebody tell me, why does this forum often have blooze and klassic rawk sickness? Not that there's anything wrong with those two genres, but they didn't stop making cool music after 1973. Oh yeah, and there is life beyond Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, BB King, SRV, etc.

• Members

My take on it is that at 24, I am faaaaar too young to be saying things like "That's just too loud" or "That's just a bunch of noise"

This {censored} makes me feel like the mom from Detroit Rock City, and makes The Ramones seem like The Carpenters. I feel like I'm 75 when I hear it.

"Get off my lawn, you djamn kids!!!!"

Talent and all that, yadda yadd, whatevs, me hates the sound.

• Members

Good points! :thu:

• Members

That wiki quote is painful. "Right, I'm 14, and want desperately to legitimize this word..."

If "djent" is just the phonetic term describing the over-compressed buzzy power chords of those videos, then it's not new, and such a bizarre sound to aspire to. You can squash any amp to unidentifiable solid rectangular waveforms in the studio, and that's what comes out. Free of pesky dynamics. Linkin Park are {censored}ing "djent" then. What nonsense.

• Members

I'm a sucker for the truly heavy, so naturally I'm partial to the djenty stuff as well. Mostly Meshuggah, though, and especially the remaster of "Nothing". :)

But I'm more for the loose mids and tight bass that many heavier doom bands employ to great effect as well. I myself do something about halfway between the two, with high gain and very thick strings. :thu:

• Members

"Turn that damn devil worshippin' crap down! That ain't real music! That's noise!"

Remember that from your youth? That's you guys now.
;)

Bingo. Too many people here get off on putting down other people's music. I love talking blues, jazz, rock, and indie and have no issues with other styles. As soon as someone brings up metal, however, and you get some real opinionated jackasses that feel the need to put down the music, the players, and the audience.

As for Djent, it started as a term on the Meshuggah forums to describe music like meshuggah, textures, Tesseract, Bulb/Periphery, etc.... and it's basically today's version of prog rock/progressive metal/math metal/djent. It's been around forever, it just kept evolving when some of the guys posting here stopped and fell behind.

[video=youtube;cncmW0Xs4BM]

[video=youtube;WdQFDKB0gig]

[video=youtube;BW-aaZ5GA6w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW-aaZ5GA6w

[video=youtube;jPS3OMgSOhE]

• Members

"Turn that damn devil worshippin' crap down! That ain't real music! That's noise!"

Remember that from your youth? That's you guys now.
;)

Unfortunately the {censored} I listen to is still heavier than Justin Bieber. :facepalm:

It's probably a better influence too.

• Members

Nice try. Not!! Unlike a lot of the klassik rawk and some of the blooze so many in this forum listen to, this stuff is not like music by say the Grateful Deal or (some of) Pink Floyd - music you get high to.

Somebody tell me, why does this forum often have blooze and klassic rawk sickness? Not that there's anything wrong with those two genres, but they didn't stop making cool music after 1973. Oh yeah, and there is life beyond Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, BB King, SRV, etc.

FINALLY. Someone with a brain!! I only see people talking about classic rock and blues! There are other forms of music...

[video=youtube;FMRtRviN99A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMRtRviN99A

Archived