WTF??? Djent???

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Moderators

Djent? Now where the {censored} did that come from?

This is a term I'd never heard until this morning, while doing my usual search for a boutique pickups going cheap and saw a BKP Painkiller described as the ideal "djent" pickup.

Then I look it up and see a few bands including Meshuggah cited and listen to a track and all I hear is chugga chuggah, so does chuggah chuggah = djent? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Apparently...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=djent

Djent is used to describe a certain kind of guitar tone characterized by medium-high gain, a quick-release noise gate to emphasize staccato playing, a cut of most bass below 200Hz for a tight low end, a slight boost around 800hz for clarity, and a noticeable boost around 1.6Khz to emphasize pick attack. When a two-octave power chord is palm-muted with this tone, a "djent" sound is created rather than the typical chunkier sound.

Djent also refers to repeated staccato playing of the lowest-pitch string on a detuned 6 string or 7 string guitar with a powerful attack such that the string goes very slightly sharp upon the pick's release from the string. Lower-gauge strings are used to facilitate this.

Djent tone is many times created using a Line 6 amp modeling product such as the Pod series or the Axe-Fx. When possible, an amp model such as the Big Bottom or Modern High Gain on these devices is used in conjunction with a modeled Tube Screamer in front. Engl and Mesa amplifiers are typically used when tube amplification is preferred.

Djent is widely acknowledged to have come first from Meshuggah, but Misha 'Bulb' Mansoor has arguably popularized the sound. Djent's typical uses give rise to a "genre" of djent that is characterized by hi-fi compressed production, polyrhythmic/staccato distorted riffs and ambient clean passages which make liberal use of 9 and other "jazzy" chords. Electronica influences such as glitchy percussion and synthesizers are also incorporated.

So there we go. Still no idea where the word comes from though!

• Members

Apparently...

So there we go. Still no idea where the word comes from though!

This begs the question: What the heck is glitchy percussion?

Edit:

Thank you Google

Glitch is a term used to describe a genre of electronic music that emerged in the mid to late 1990s. The glitch aesthetic is characterized by a deliberate use of glitch based sonic artifacts that would normally be viewed as unwanted disturbances reducing the overall sound quality and are thus usually to be avoided in audio recordings.

Sources of glitch sound material are usually malfunctioning or abused audio recording devices or digital technology, such as CD skipping, electric hum, digital or analog distortion, bit rate reduction, hardware noise, computer bugs, crashes, vinyl record hiss or scratches and system errors.[2] In a Computer Music Journal article published in 2000, composer and writer Kim Cascone classifies glitch as a sub-genre of electronica, and used the term post-digital to describe the glitch aesthetic.[3] Another term for Glitch is Clicks & Cuts (sometimes only Clicks) deriving from the Clicks & Cuts Series released by the Mille Plateaux music label, which played a leading role in the development of the genre.

• Members

?source=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.cheezburger.

Sadly, all manufacturers of gear must focus at least part of their lines toward satisfying the needs of metalheads whose love of music is SO heavy and SO brutal and SO low that it kind of ceases to be musical in any way, shape or form. That's a legit contingent of the guitar playing demographic. Bare Knuckle is better than that crap but they have to make money, too.

• Members

I'm actually starting to get into djent thanks to a thread I saw a few days ago. Bands like Cloudkicker, Animals as Leaders, Soul Cycle, Dan Dankmeyer. The best part is most of it is available for free.

[video=youtube;hB75rvrv5YA]

• Members

OK, I listened to 4 Meshugga songs but I think they were all the same.
:freak:

EG

But it was supposed to have blown your mind, maaan... People who like them always talk about "polyrhythms" and the mathematical complexity of their music.

Whoa, it's so COMPLEX and MATHEMATICALLY CHALLENGING that I didn't even notice that it sounds like crap! I was trying to keep the beat and it was like I was doing algebra homework! Hell yeah! This is FUN!

Also, I was wrong earlier when I said that metal fans need music to be lower than low. That doesn't appear to be the case here, as djent sounds tinny and plastic and awful for other reasons.

• Members

Yeah, I was trying to figure out wtf it meant a few months ago. Seems that I'm not the only one that's old.

It does actually make sense once you know what it means though. Not something that I go out of my way to attain, but some of it isn't horrible.

• Members

But it was supposed to have blown your mind, maaan... People who like them always talk about "polyrhythms" and the mathematical complexity of their music.

Whoa, it's so COMPLEX and MATHEMATICALLY CHALLENGING that I didn't even
notice
that it sounds like crap! I was trying to keep the beat and it was like I was doing algebra homework! Hell yeah! This is FUN!

Also, I was wrong earlier when I said that metal fans need music to be lower than low. That doesn't appear to be the case here, as djent sounds tinny and plastic and awful for other reasons.

It's hard to do algebra while taking bong hits.

EG

Archived