Gibson Dethklok Explorer - Gibson Specs are finally available on-line

GAS Man

• Members

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Explorer/Gibson-USA/Dethklok-Thunderhorse-Explorer.aspx

Earlier reports had stated "satin" finish (i.e. "cheap) so I'm glad to see that Gibson states it's the more finished "gloss" finish. But either way I would have stayed in line for one. I've bought my share of satin finished guitars; it just wouldn't be the best choice for silverburst.

It also confirms the Burstbucker 1 & 2 pickups which are my fave from Gibson.

I don't know why they tout it as a metal guitar and then use vintage style pickups, but the BBs make the draw for me. :thu:

• Members

Priced halfway decently too $1,670. I'm hoping its still available next tax season:love:

Originally I was reading something about them being limited to a production of 400, but like the specs on the guitar itself, that speculation is not borne out with any references to limited quantities on the Gibson site, so another myth dispelled.

So maybe production will be limited by how well they sell. So maybe, no hurries. :idk:

• Members

Burstbuckers are actually pretty ballsy... I'm almost positive they have a higher output than your average 59 PAF. I personally prefer this pickup choice (for metal or anything else) over EMG's, which seem to be the standard for metal-themed guitars these days. Much warmer and more natural-sounding but plenty aggressive.

• Members

Burstbuckers are actually pretty ballsy... I'm almost positive they have a higher output than your average 59 PAF. I personally prefer this pickup choice (for metal or anything else) over EMG's, which seem to be the standard for metal-themed guitars these days. Much warmer and more natural-sounding but plenty aggressive.

pickups_output-chart.jpg

Well, I think they are fairly low (lower than '57s or the 490/498 combo for example) but don't get me wrong, I'm sure they'll work just fine for metal and will indeed have a lot of harmonic overtones. After all, all of our original guitar heroes from Page to EVH used low output PAF pickups and relied upon their amps for the gain. And after I watched that vid on the Gibson site done by Brendon Small,http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Explorer/Gibson-USA/Dethklok-Thunderhorse-Explorer.aspx he talks about wanting a pickup that has versatility, so I'm totally down with his choice. It's just not as common these days to see guitars monikered with "Metal" not being equipped with some ballsy ceramic, active or at least high output Alnico V magnet pickups. Seeing one with a set of Alnico II pickups is refreshing. But Slash is another player who prefers that combo type of Alnico II p'ups and gain from the amps as well. :thu:

• Members

pickups_output-chart.jpg

Well, I think they are fairly low (lower than '57s or the 490/498 combo for example) but don't get me wrong, I'm sure they'll work just fine for metal and will indeed have a lot of harmonic overtones. After all, all of our original guitar heroes from Page to EVH used low output PAF pickups and relied upon their amps for the gain. And after I watched that vid on the Gibson site done by Brendon Small,
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Explorer/Gibson-USA/Dethklok-Thunderhorse-Explorer.aspx
he talks about wanting a pickup that has versatility, so I'm totally down with his choice. It's just not as common these days to see guitars monikered with "Metal" not being equipped with some ballsy ceramic, active or at least high output Alnico V magnet pickups. Seeing one with a set of Alnico II pickups is refreshing. But Slash is another player who prefers that combo type of Alnico II p'ups and gain from the amps as well.
:thu:

Oops! Sorry, I was totally wrong about the Burstbuckers output. I should have checked the numbers before I shot my mouth off. Mea culpa.

I do stand by what I said... I think that they're plenty powerful but warmer and more musical than the screamin' ceramic psycho pickups that are so prevalent today. You are definitely dead-on correct on that point. It IS refreshing as I do find the metal community's constant use of EMG's lately to be a little annoying. (EMG's are just as shrill, cold, and soulless as people claim they are... sorry, that's just my opinion, I'm often proven wrong)

• Members

Oops! Sorry, I was totally wrong about the Burstbuckers output. I should have checked the numbers before I shot my mouth off. Mea culpa.

I do stand by what I said... I think that they're plenty powerful but warmer and more musical than the screamin' ceramic psycho pickups that are so prevalent today. You are definitely dead-on correct on that point. It IS refreshing as I do find the metal community's constant use of EMG's lately to be a little annoying. (EMG's are just as shrill, cold, and soulless as people claim they are... sorry, that's just my opinion, I'm often proven wrong)

Hey, no problema, this is a chat forum as far as I'm concerned about common interests.

The other thing I really like about the Burstbuckers is that sometimes I can really hear the uneven wind process they use on Bursbucker pickup coils. I can sometimes hear this extra complexity which I sometimes like to call "a bit more 3-D" where it sounds more like two single coils singing together in a chorus. They are matched, but just enough off to where the sound of the HB sounds like the combination of the two coils. I play more often with clean tones than with distortion so I really appreciate that bit of extra complexity they give off instead of a more uniform singular tone, and it also pays off on higher gain application with more harmonic overtones. The BB-3 is especially high in the harmonic overtone category which I why I believe they spec'd it for the BFG guitars and a few others like the JJ MM or the Joe Bonamassa. But it's more like the Ferrari of the Burstbuckers and isn't as comfortable at idle as the BB 1 & 2.

• Members

Keep rubbing it in why dont ya
:cry:

I tried to get Thomann to get a guitar or two over here, but they said it was impossible, US only and nothing they could do about it.

I NEED that guitar, it's calling to me. Just begging to be pimped out with black hardware and BKP's. :(

• Members

I tried to get Thomann to get a guitar or two over here, but they said it was impossible, US only and nothing they could do about it.

I NEED that guitar, it's calling to me. Just begging to be pimped out with black hardware and BKP's.
:(

I know, i need this guitar too!

Things I like:

Explorers,

Ebony fretboards,

silverburst finish,

Gibson pickups,

Dethklok/Brendon Small,

Reasonably priced guitars,

Things this guitar has/is associated with;

ALL OF THE ABOVE!!!!

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

EDIT: Think we can get some sort of petition going? ;)

• Members

I'll shoot my sales engineer an e-mail to see if he knows how many they might be getting in. Unfortunately I live in a State where MF and M123 charge sales tax, so I look to Sweetwater and AMS primarily in order to avoid an additional 8.5% charge. I'd then have to learn about what kind of export/import fees might need to be prepaid upon shipping. I'd certainly look at it for you guys. I'm in the Pacific NW which might however add some extra shipping distance

• Members

Earlier reports had stated "satin" finish (i.e. "cheap) so I'm glad to see that Gibson states it's the more finished "gloss" finish.

No, it is actually the satin finish and not gloss. It makes the wood grain and pores really stand out, a bit like on the 'Faded' series. To be honest I think it's a disappointing decision for silverburst. Full gloss would have been WAY nicer.

• Members

No, it is actually the satin finish and not gloss. It makes the wood grain and pores really stand out, a bit like on the 'Faded' series. To be honest I think it's a disappointing decision for silverburst. Full gloss would have been WAY nicer.

{censored} hell damn! Bad news for me, but good news for my wallet ;)

• Members

Hmm, Gibson says "gloss":

Finish

Surface

Texture Gloss Silver Burst

Sealer Ntrocellulose Lacquer

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Explorer/Gibson-USA/Dethklok-Thunderhorse-Explorer/Specs.aspx

but what you're saying does agree with the earlier speculative reports. So I take it you've seen them in person?

That's a bummer, but I think I'll still want one.

Archived