Gibson Dethklok Explorer - Gibson Specs are finally available on-line

GAS Man

• Members

Hmm, Gibson says "gloss"

Quoted from the "Body and Finish" on the link:

"The Dethklok "Thunderhorse" Explorer is hand-finished in nitrocellulose lacquer in a process that is carefully monitored to ensure minimum build-up. Several thin coats are applied, and a flattening agent is used to reduce sheen."

It does look at least semi-gloss in pics though, gives off plenty of reflection. I don't think it's a standard satin/flat finish.

Anyone seen it in person? Posted a thread a couple weeks back and one dealer already had them in stock. I think they look stunning, finish and binding look great together. Also think the lack of gloss finish may contribute to the decent price tag, by Gibson standards at least.

• Members

Then there's this page that says:

"Surface Texture

The guitar wears a thin grain-textured finish that beautifully shows off the subtle mahogany wood grain beneath the lacquer, and yields a fast, comfortable playing feel on the neck back, too."

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Explorer/Gibson-USA/Dethklok-Thunderhorse-Explorer/Body.aspx

One page says 'gloss' and another says something that doesn't sound very 'gloss' to me.

And of course Musicians Friend says 'High gloss laquer finish', but they're wrong more often than they're right (probably not, but it seems like it).

• Members

Then there's this page that says:

"Surface Texture

The guitar wears a thin grain-textured finish that beautifully shows off the subtle mahogany wood grain beneath the lacquer
, and yields a fast, comfortable playing feel on the neck back, too."

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Explorer/Gibson-USA/Dethklok-Thunderhorse-Explorer/Body.aspx

One page says 'gloss' and another says something that doesn't sound very 'gloss' to me.

And of course Musicians Friend says 'High gloss laquer finish', but they're wrong more often than they're right (probably not, but it seems like it).

Yes, it's amazing how many specs MF gets wrong.

Well reading the description you posted above (bolded) and looking closely at a couple of the pics from the Gibson site, I think that probably describes it pretty well. It's probably somewhere in between gloss and the Fadeds. Maybe similar to the Tribute Series.

Check out this pic from Gibson.com

Bridge.jpg

Tailpiece.jpg

I can indeed see the grain lines beneath the silver

• Members

I just got my 0s Tribute SG in and the finish is different than my faded LP or faded V, more of a matte finish (it is a black one) what I'd call similar to the old Goth series but maybe a tad thinner. Still seems pretty thin and will rub off easily with massive playing. I'd bet this is what the Dethklok has.

• Members

Also think the lack of gloss finish may contribute to the decent price tag, by Gibson standards at least.

Yeah, I think with the metal cartoon connection on this model, they probably did want to keep the price down for their target market, so less grain filler/sanding work had to have shaved off some bucks. I do think it's an odd choice for a Silverburst finish, but I guess I can understand their marketing thought process, i.e. sales profits over quality. But I'm glad that the only "Dethklok" reference on the guitar is the truss rod cover which wouldn't bother me in the least. In fact it will give me a smile. :lol: Thunderhorse! :lol:

Neck-and-Headstock-Trussrod.jpg

• Members

But I'm glad that the only "Dethklok" reference on the guitar is the truss rod cover which wouldn't bother me in the least. In fact it will give me a smile.
:lol:
Thunderhorse!

Neck-and-Headstock-Trussrod.jpg

Totally agree, this is one great looking "Sig" model, none of the lame graphics or ridiculous details I've seen on many others and a price that makes it obtainable. Really just took an Explorer and classed it up with the finish and binding, really surprised Gibson hasn't done this combo before. Brendon Small nailed it, love everything that guy comes up with!

I have seen a Custom Flying V in SB with bound neck and headstock, all the custom details and it was cool, I like this better though.

• Members

I have seen a Custom Flying V in SB with bound neck and headstock, all the custom details and it was cool, I like this better though.

I picked up a SB Flying V for my son for a present. It wasn't a "custom" but one of the Guitar Of the Week models, an '84

He had wanted one, so I got it for him and held onto it for over a year until he finished his grad school.

This pic doesn't do it justice

DSC02053.jpg

But that guitar wasn't really me anyway. It had a more crunchy tone than I care for.

These are my two Silverburst babies.

035.jpg

I've also got a MIM FSR Tele in SB (no pics in the can yet) so if I do get Mr. Dethklok here, I'll have 4 SBs in the stable. I told my son he'd have to bring the V by for a proper family photo of 5. :D

• Members

Cool guitar.

I realize Metal is for the younger guys and it's all about the image but jeez... there are two pictures of the actual guitar and three of the frickin cartoon on the Gibson site.

:facepalm:

The ad copy is pretty funny too...

"For fierce riffs, eviscerating tones, and all-out metal mayhem, there's no one heavier than Dethklok

• Members

Not trying to be a jerk, BoneNut, but have you ever seen the show? There's a reason that description is so over the top haha... the show is a parody of the genre as well as a tribute. With the ridiculous premise of the most famous, richest band in the world being an ultra-violent death metal band and what the world would be like if pop culture were ruled by such icons, rather than the pop princesses and R&B dildos.

• Members

Okay, I'm already thinking of my first mod

SDC11145.jpg

From the NAMM show pics I thought this guitar had a multiply BWB style pg, now I realize it's just black. I guess I was just seeing edge reflection on the NAMM shots.

dethklok.jpg

But dang, I'll be tempted to swap that out for BWB or BWBWB (or maybe creme instead of white layers if that's a better match with the binding)

And maybe silver insert top hats?

MK010_sm_.jpg

• Members

Not trying to be a jerk, BoneNut, but have you ever seen the show? There's a reason that description is so over the top haha... the show is a parody of the genre as well as a tribute. With the ridiculous premise of the most famous, richest band in the world being an ultra-violent death metal band and what the world would be like if pop culture were ruled by such icons, rather than the pop princesses and R&B dildos.

With a review like that, I'll make sure to watch an episode!

• Members

With a review like that, I'll make sure to watch an episode!

Dethklok is also the biggest selling metal act in the history of the world, all jokes aside, an amazing feat for a cartoon band. That show is effin hilarious!

As for knobs, I posted these earlier but they'd fit in here nicely. I just ordered these Silver Speed Knobs for my LP Custom, found them from MIJ Guitars on Amazon. Standard or metric, inexpensive, and fast shipping from Japan. These are pretty uncommon, seems like a logical color option though. They'd probably look pretty good on a SB finish, add a little "Zazz"!

7xC5G.jpg

• Members

Man, why is there always some detail that's just not right when they release something like this? Why couldn't they just go with a regular gloss finish? I'd rather pay a little extra to get it right. :(

I'll shoot my sales engineer an e-mail to see if he knows how many they might be getting in. Unfortunately I live in a State where MF and M123 charge sales tax, so I look to Sweetwater and AMS primarily in order to avoid an additional 8.5% charge. I'd then have to learn about what kind of export/import fees might need to be prepaid upon shipping. I'd certainly look at it for you guys. I'm in the Pacific NW which might however add some extra shipping distance

It's great of you to offer to make the effort. But let's hold off for now. That finish was a real downer and I think it might be a deal-breaker for me. :(

• Members

Okay, I'm already thinking of my first mod

But dang, I'll be tempted to swap that out for BWB or BWBWB (or maybe creme instead of white layers if that's a better match with the binding)

And maybe silver insert top hats?

MK010_sm_.jpg

Yuck - Sorry man - I think when you have to put the words Volume/Tone on a knob - it's just stupid to me. And Yeah - I hate all Strat knobs!!

• Members

I just ordered these Silver Speed Knobs for my LP Custom, found them from MIJ Guitars on Amazon. Standard or metric, inexpensive, and fast shipping from Japan. These are pretty uncommon, seems like a logical color option though. They'd probably look pretty good on a SB finish, add a little "Zazz"!

Thanks, I'll definitely consider those as well since I'd prefer the speed knob shape.

• Members

It's probably somewhere in between gloss and the Fadeds. Maybe similar to the Tribute Series.

Yeah, the Tribute series finish is a pretty good comparison actually. The Dethklok finish has a sheen to it but it's not filled like a gloss would be, so the grain of the wood is very prominent, giving the surface a kind of pitted look. Personally I think a gloss finish is better suited to silverburst and I think the 'raw' look cheapens the guitar a little. I guess they were trying to make this to a price point. Not a deal-killer maybe but for me it relegates the guitar from drop-dead gorgeous to just nice. This picture shows it pretty well:

DethklokThunderhorseExplorer.jpg

• Members

I'll shoot my sales engineer an e-mail to see if he knows how many they might be getting in. Unfortunately I live in a State where MF and M123 charge sales tax, so I look to Sweetwater and AMS primarily in order to avoid an additional 8.5% charge. I'd then have to learn about what kind of export/import fees might need to be prepaid upon shipping. I'd certainly look at it for you guys. I'm in the Pacific NW which might however add some extra shipping distance

Thanks man, i really appreciate the offer but i dont want to inconvenience you - or any other member for that matter, so please dont feel obliged or anything to get your hands on one for me :wave:

Archived