So if it's not the CD, what would be your ideal music delivery system?

Anderton

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That
would
be really cool, but hell, the labels haven't even figured how to release CDs with song title info embedded into the data... I don't hold out long odds on having them do anything that creative...

That's why it has to be from third parties and crowd-sourcing, like on MOG.* I was prowling Ca Tjader's pretty massive catalog and found this write-up on an album I really wasn't familiar with -- but that sounded like a great idea for a hot August day cooling into evening, Cal Tjader Sextette with Stan Getz: http://mog.com/blog_posts/2960134/mogbar?a=mn4908 (The album, itself, as the article notes, is a bit more cool bop than samba, despite some opportunistic track titling from the label.)

*Maybe they ought to have links to Wikipedia at times, too. Although the Wikipedia guidelines are a bit antithetical to the kind of subjective passion the best music commentary seems dependent upon.

• Moderators

Looking a little farther into the future, I'd like to see direct to auditory nerve delivery. Would be nice to hear full fidelity stereo sound again.

I don't see much of a problem making that happen, which is what people who are ignorant of a subject usually say. ;)

Terry D.

• Members
Looking a little farther into the future, I'd like to see direct to auditory nerve delivery. Would be nice to hear full fidelity stereo sound again.

I don't see much of a problem making that happen, which is what people who are ignorant of a subject usually say.
;)

Terry D.

As long as it's on demand. I don't want no DJ reaching inside my brain.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

But let's suppose you could design the Ultimate Music Delivery System. What would it be like?

You should be able to type or say a snatch of remembered lyric, and the system would find the song for you. Better yet, you could just hum or sing a bit of melody--or even a guitar riff or something--and it would be able to find it. :love:

You know, like, "Hey, 'puter, what's that song that goes doo doo dah, doo doo dah, dah dah doooom?"

:D

For those who like eclectic radio stations, here's one to check out:

http://www.wncw.org/

• Members

How about a text-based (or voice-based) playlist generator that understands real language (like putting IBM's Watson jeopardy bot to work for us).

So you can type (or say): "I want to listen to Aerosmith radio for 45mins. I want you to mix in music by similar artists, but I never want to hear Journey, and I want 35% to be new music that I have never heard before. And it must include the songs 'Last Child' and 'Nobody's Fault'".

This kind of thing is surely just around the corner... I can talk to my android phone this way ("Text Bill --> Hey Bill, want to go see Aerosmith in October? --> Send" and it does the whole thing for me instantly)

• Members

You should be able to type or say a snatch of remembered lyric, and the system would find the song for you. Better yet, you could just hum or sing a bit of melody--or even a guitar riff or something--and it would
be able to find it.
:love:

You know, like, "Hey, 'puter, what's that song that goes
doo doo dah, doo doo dah, dah dah
doooom
?"

:D

For those who like eclectic radio stations, here's one to check out:

http://www.wncw.org/

http://www.soundhound.com/

• Members
How about a text-based (or voice-based) playlist generator that
understands real language
(like putting IBM's Watson jeopardy bot to work for us).

So you can type (or say): "I want to listen to Aerosmith radio for 45mins. I want you to mix in music by similar artists, but I never want to hear Journey, and I want 35% to be new music that I have never heard before. And it must include the songs 'Last Child' and 'Nobody's Fault'".

This kind of thing is surely just around the corner... I can talk to my android phone this way ("Text Bill --> Hey Bill, want to go see Aerosmith in October? --> Send" and it does the whole thing for me instantly)

But when you get a txt back from Bill that says, "I'm sorry, why would I want to see Harry Smith's comb over?" you know there's a little farther to go...

• Members

But when you get a txt back from Bill that says, "I'm sorry, why would I want to see Harry Smith's comb over?" you know there's a little farther to go...

Good for a :lol: but i've really never had a problem yet. I'm actually amazed how well it understands ("gonna" instead of "going to" and things like that)

• Members
Good for a
:lol:
but i've really never had a problem yet. I'm actually amazed how well it understands ("gonna" instead of "going to" and things like that)

I bow to your undoubtedly superior diction. I get my share of laughs. Sometimes it's dead on, though. It's certainly hugely better than the 3rd party voice app I had for my Blackberry. Forget what it was called, but it wasn't very good, I'm afraid.

• Members

Yesterday I found that one of my favorite (small c) contemporary artists, Gillian Welch, had removed all her label's records from the subscription services.

I was bummed.

I'm a fan of Welch because of subscription services. She was just a name I vaguely associated with women's roots/folk/country before I saw one of her albums promo'd in my subscription service and put it in the playlist. It took a few plays and tours through her albums to lock in my interest. But she soon became one of my faves.

So, when all her music (except for a couple strays from the O Brother soundtrack, etc) disappeared from Mog, Spotify, Rhapsody, Rdio, etc, I wrote her and her partner David Rawlings a letter (sent through their self-owned label's website) and explained that I had certainly listened to each of their songs hundreds of times over the last few years. If the figures I have are correct, when I was on Rhapsody (which is what I have numbers on), each track play netted Gillian, David, and the label $.0113. Not a lot per play -- but it adds up.

Let's say I played the tracks on a given album 300 times over the last 5 years (in this particular case, probably a conservative estimate). Let's say there were 10 tracks. That's 3000 track plays. Times .0113 that comes out to just under $34. For the one album. And that's the cut straight to her and her label.

If I'd bought that album new in the store, what would she and her label have received? A couple bucks?

But I'm on a budget. The recession hit me hard. I've got debts, like so many Americans.

I haven't bought a new album in years. On those very rare occasions when I let myself buy an album or a movie -- and it's not even one of each a year -- I've felt a responsibility to get the best deal I can.

And that means buying used.

How much do the label and artist get from resale of a CD that's already been sold once?

Zip. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. (At least in the US.)

Meanwhile, I'll have had to spend $8-$10. That's a month's listening. So I have to balance a months listening to everyone else against a single album by Gillian and David... it's a non starter.

• Members

Pop it out of Dolby B and it sounds really bitchen!

Sparkly.

Sparklyish, anyhow.

When I bought my first proper cassette deck I'd been out of the hi fi store orbit for some time. I saw a TEAC stereo deck on sale for (what I remember as) $129, a good price. The store had a demo cassette that the salesman popped in. It sounded decent. Decentish. The salesman then popped it out and said, But if you can afford a little more, we have a great deal on this [no-name house brand] deck for only $179!

He popped in the same cassette. The high end was bright and sparkly. I was impressed.

Then I thought, hey, wait a second. I've been in stereo stores before. I've been misdirected to {censored}ty housebrands before. I'm smarter than this. Where's the trick?

So I looked around and saw the Dolby B button was switched on on the TEAC and off on the house brand deck. I switched the Dolby switch on the housebrand deck and all of a sudden it sounded worse than the TEAC.

My introduction to Dolby B and my reintroduction to stereo store salespeople.

• Members

what was Dolby B supposed to do? noise reduction or somethin?

That was the idea.

However, a whole lot of folks used it more for pre-emphasis. That is, they recorded with it set on and then played back with it set off. Which meant that those cassettes ended up brighter than the record (if not nearly as extended at the top) when played back with Dolby off. Of course, that was not how it was intended to be used but, you know, it was sort of a matter of, if it sounds good, do it. And, since the ear is a cheap date, for the most part, people felt it sounded good.

• Members

Here's are some interesting reads on Facebook's coming integration with Spotify, MOG, Rdio, and other music services. The first seems to reveal some of the fairly tightly guarded features that will be introduced on the 22nd of this month...

http://gigaom.com/2011/06/19/revealed-facebook%E2%80%99s-music-plans-involve-spotify-others/

http://evolver.fm/2011/09/01/music-needs-connective-tissue-and-facebook-wants-to-build-it/

• Members

I still like the idea of a celestial jukebox - we're getting very close to that, if we aren't there already. The biggest problem is that Smartphones and desktop/laptop computers, which seem like the most likely candidates for listening, aren't really hi-fi devices.

I'd also like to see more Pandora/Apple genius-type thinking where suggestions are made based on past preferences. Granted that's more or less in place, but it could be taken further. I'd love to see an "I want to hear something new" button where you could be served, for example, a choice of the top-selling music in 20 different countries. Or whatever.

But let's suppose you could design the Ultimate Music Delivery System. What would it be like?

Excellent question Craig :thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Netflix Satellite Radio. HD internet access. Assemble your own playlists and listen on anything anywhere. Hours of replay for rewind/ff (like a DVR), save to SD. I really would like to be able to download a fast forward-able (commercial free) Stern show and take it with me and listen at my convenience. I live on the west coast so I could record the live feed and have hours of fast forward before I get up!

Archived