So if it's not the CD, what would be your ideal music delivery system?

Anderton

• Members

Someday in the distant future, we may be able to do to the music industry what has been done in many other successful businesses. Turn our COMMODITY into a SERVICE.....the kind that you never OWN but keep paying for, and paying for, and paying for ...like Sirius.

After all media disappears (after CD players, record players etc. no longer work), the music could be piped to our ears/brain from a central location. We would be billed for each "performance". The musicians would split this revenue with the broadcaster. This would not be like radio. These would be customised play lists , tailored for each individual. It would also be impossible to duplicate or re-broadcast these signals. Music would ,once again, be appreciated as a valuable resource.

Just a thought.

Dan

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Any kind of central system is always going to get screwed up by the geniuses running it. The most alluring thing about records/tapes/cds is once you have them in your hands, as long as you are physically able to keep playing it you can. You have a direct connection to the artist that no one can monkey with.

Cable TV was supposed to be so awesome but they just load it with enough commercials and the cheapest content possible to the point where no one can stand it anymore and then they back a little off that point.

• Members

Someday in the distant future, we may be able to do to the music industry what has been done in many other successful businesses. Turn our COMMODITY into a SERVICE.....the kind that you never OWN but keep paying for, and paying for, and paying for ...like Sirius.

After all media disappears (after CD players, record players etc. no longer work), the music could be piped to our ears/brain from a central location. We would be billed for each "performance". The musicians would split this revenue with the broadcaster. This would not be like radio. These would be customised play lists , tailored for each individual. It would also be impossible to duplicate or re-broadcast these signals. Music would ,once again, be appreciated as a valuable resource.

Just a thought.

Dan

I like the idea Dan, its very altruistic and community based but I think human greed will always be our greatest economical evil to contend with. Someone somewhere will come up with a way to distort and desecrate that beautiful idea of being payed for a service rendered and will do so in the name of "technology" or "social networking", etc... whatever you call it.

We all want the latest greatest but we`re not willing to pay for it. Its about living a "legitimate life" as Scott Peck would observe and very few are willing to decide to do so.

Not to change the subject but as most of you guys know Propellerhead released REASON 6 for as cheap as $1 if you already own REASON & RECORD. I am curious to know how many people actually payed more than that. I know GGM payed $50, I purchased for $75. We both appreciate what software developers allow us to do. I think we understand to some extent what is involved in making such products but I think many people have little idea or simply do not care about giving someone their fair share... again, human greed.

Anyway, I apologize if this post was a bit OT but I think we need to address some human issues before we address legitimate (theres that word again) delivery systems.

• Members

The future of music distribution is on recombinant DNA. Music will be digitized along nucleotide polymers, and vectored into music lovers using plasmids and viruses. Injecting will replace listening, genetic engineering will replace audio engineering, favorites songs will metastasize, and anyone enjoying a good tune will convulsively shape shift as new phenotypes emerge from cellular reorganization.

• Members

The future of music distribution is on recombinant DNA. Music will be digitized along nucleotide polymers, and vectored into music lovers using plasmids and viruses. Injecting will replace listening, genetic engineering will replace audio engineering, favorites songs will metastasize, and anyone enjoying a good tune will convulsively shape shift as new phenotypes emerge from cellular reorganization.

Well... a lot of us have always said... music's in our blood.

I guess the music service/sharing integration on Facebook got subsumed in the typical abreactive convulsion in the wake of other changes that more directly affected users.

I haven't been able to participate, myself, because my beloved MOG decided to go with their new media player before I would consider it ready and I'm 'stuck' using the old player -- because if I switch to the new player, there is apparently no going back. It's a shame because the old player has several features I consider crucial that the new, more Spotify-like player doesn't have. [sigh] Eventually, they'll pull the plug on us holdouts (although they've been mollycoddling us so far; when a bunch of us got 'stuck' in the new player right around the switch, there was a big uproar in their support boards, they reset us whiners back to the old player and told us to stay there unless we wanted to get stuck in the future again... )

Still... if the MOG FB integration is like that of Spotify, I'm really not sure I want my FB friends to know every time I listen to "Yummy, Yummy, Yummy (I Got Love in My Tummy)."

• Members

Still... if the MOG FB integration is like that of Spotify, I'm really not sure I want my FB friends to know every time I listen to "Yummy, Yummy, Yummy (I Got Love in My Tummy)."

Understandable. I've had to defriend half my friends in real life after I friended them on FB and found out what terrible taste they have in music.

• Members

Understandable. I've had to defriend half my friends in real life after I friended them on FB and found out what terrible taste they have in music.

Most of my FB friends are 3DW friends and I already knew what most of them liked. They have a tendency to only post really tweaked stuff, or old local favorites, since a lot of us got to know each other in the club scene.

In fact, posting "Yummy, Yummy, Yummy" probably would bring in more than a few highly ironicized likes and some colorful comments, as well, without a doubt.

• Members

The CD is DEAD..Everyone knows this. I mean there really isn't much physical retail left to buy them other than online so why not just accept that all music distribution will be via the web. PERIOD. I expect the subscription model WILL come into it's own and that will probably happen when Apple Finally launches it's iMusic service. We need trusted filters and better interfaces. that WILL come and when it does that is the END of the CD. I haven't bought one other than indie artists at live shows, in years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

How about a text-based (or voice-based) playlist generator that
understands real language
(like putting IBM's Watson jeopardy bot to work for us).

So you can type (or say): "I want to listen to Aerosmith radio for 45mins. I want you to mix in music by similar artists, but I never want to hear Journey, and I want 35% to be new music that I have never heard before. And it must include the songs 'Last Child' and 'Nobody's Fault'".

This kind of thing is surely just around the corner... I can talk to my android phone this way ("Text Bill --> Hey Bill, want to go see Aerosmith in October? --> Send" and it does the whole thing for me instantly)

Pretty sure that with this post I foretold the implementation of Siri. Imagine a smarter Siri (as she develops over time) that is in your TV, in your phone, in your microwave, whatever. And she does everything you tell her to.

"Siri, please record every new episode of Dexter in hi-def and save the latest 3 episodes until I tell you to erase them"

"Siri, please create a 2 hour playlist of music from the Dexter Season 2 soundtrack. Start playing immediately in my living room and in the kitchen. Put a slideshow of photos from the Hawaii trip on the TV while the music is playing"

:eek: :eek: :eek:

• Members

The future of music distribution is that everybody will hear his own music in his mind.

Just like Mozart, Beethoven, Aaron Copeland, Samuel Barber and so on did.

hey!! that's my idea! sorta, you mean telepathy? where you don't even have to physically play anything? compose it all in you head and send it out?

with vids and images?

until then, just better quality on whatever medium.

• Members

Pretty sure that with this post I foretold the implementation of
Siri
. Imagine a smarter Siri (as she develops over time) that is in your TV, in your phone, in your microwave, whatever. And she does everything you tell her to.

"Siri, please record every new episode of Dexter in hi-def and save the latest 3 episodes until I tell you to erase them"

"Siri, please create a 2 hour playlist of music from the Dexter Season 2 soundtrack. Start playing immediately in my living room and in the kitchen. Put a slideshow of photos from the Hawaii trip on the TV while the music is playing"

:eek:

That seems to be what some observers are suggesting that Jobs meant when he told his biographer that he'd 'cracked' the TV interface problem, suggesting that it would soon be as easy to operate a TV as it is to operate a computer.

Which sort of made me smile, since I seem to recall back in the 80s that the grail was to make a computer that was as easy to operate as a TV. ;)

• Members

hey!! that's my idea! sorta, you mean telepathy? where you don't even have to physically play anything? compose it all in you head and send it out?

with vids and images?

until then, just better quality on whatever medium.

No!

I meant that all humans hear their own music, similar as Mozart or Samuel Barber,

no need for stupid pop/rock made by unmusical dullards,

everybody hears his own original music,

7 billions new symphonies, jazz trio performance and so on every day, or more.

• Members
No!

I meant that all humans hear their own music, similar as Mozart or Samuel Barber,

no need for stupid pop/rock made by unmusical dullards,

everybody hears his own original music,

7 billions new symphonies, jazz trio performance and so on every day, or more.

Mine sounds more like Metal Machine Music.

• Members

Gives new meaning to the old saying "I can't get that song out of my head". ;)

• Moderators

Pretty sure that with this post I foretold the implementation of
Siri
. Imagine a smarter Siri (as she develops over time) that is in your TV, in your phone, in your microwave, whatever. And she does everything you tell her to.

Here we have illegal workers for that sort of thing. :idk:

Terry D.

• Members

You are of the genius kind like Barber, Monteverdi, Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner, Liszt, Schubert, Mahler, Verdi...

All those composers also ripped off their ideas from Scandinavian Death Metal bands, especially Grieg.

Actually, Metal Machine Music was an early 70s proto-noise-band type effort from the redoubtable Lou Reed. But the principle remains. ;)

• Members

Actually,
Metal Machine Music
was an early 70s proto-noise-band type effort from the redoubtable Lou Reed. But the principle remains.
;)

I see, the Punctualism stuff Stockhausen, Olivier Messiaens and a few others ripped off in the fifties and late forties,

it is still a mystery how they got all those recordings from the pop heinies from 25 later

Archived