Ready to sell all my junk and get a really nice guitar.....but what?

jr_vw2

• Members

So I'm tired of owning low and mid range guitars and i want a really nice guitar. Here is what I currently have

Jackson RR3 (japan)

Ltd fx-260

Peavey rotor exp

Epi les Paul standard plus (flame top tabaco burst)

Ibanez parts caster (basically a clone of a late 80's rg550 hardtail)

Schecter gryphon 7 (seven string) keeping this one

I dont own total garbage guitars, but I have never really found the "one" guitar if you know what I mean.

I play metal, I can adapt to most neck profiles, pickups don't really matter. No fenders thought. I usually find myself drawn towards pointy guitars, but most of the time they are more of a pain in the butt then they are worth. I have kind of been leaning towards an ESP Eclipse

Any suggestion?

• Members

If I was still playing metal, there are 2 guitars that I would be looking seriously at - Gibson Flying V, and a
BC Rich Mockingbird

This is the correct answer.

If you are into V shapes, I was REALLY impressed by the OOP LTD DV8TR Mustaine I played at a local pawn shop. However, if you are considering an ESP Eclipse, that is a worthy choice.

• Members

If you're looking for something a little more high end, I'd suggest ESP: given that my nephew's $270 LTD EC-50 is such a great guitar, I'd suspect the Eclipse would be excellent. Carvin is a great bang-for-buck choice, although I'm not as impressed with their pickups.

How much do you love your RR3? Would you go for a USA-built Jackson? Does your Fender hate extend to super-Strats?

• Members

Carvin

O my god THIS.

They cost around $1200 but BELIEVE me you won't be dissatisfied. The profile is very comfortable, the finish is beautiful, full access to ALL 24 frets, and not to mention the STOCK pups sound so good you won't even need to switch em out. I LOVE heavy metal and my DC127 delivers and then some. I would replace the bridge pup if i didn't love it so much. It sounds like an Invader, only warmer, richer, and has full range sound not just bass or mid heavy.

• Members

You already have a couple of Explorer-style guitars, and you're already interested in ESP, so the logical conclusion is to get one of the old, Gibson-styled Edwards/ESP Explorers. You've probably already thought about it anyway.

Other than that, you'd find as many answers as there are 'really good guitars.' Enjoy your search. :thu:

• Members

So I'm tired of owning low and mid range guitars and i want a really nice guitar. Here is what I currently have

Jackson RR3 (japan)

Ltd fx-260

Peavey rotor exp

Epi les Paul standard plus (flame top tabaco burst)

Ibanez parts caster (basically a clone of a late 80's rg550 hardtail)

Schecter gryphon 7 (seven string) keeping this one

I dont own total garbage guitars, but I have never really found the "one" guitar if you know what I mean.

I play metal, I can adapt to most neck profiles, pickups don't really matter. No fenders thought. I usually find myself drawn towards pointy guitars, but most of the time they are more of a pain in the butt then they are worth. I have kind of been leaning towards an ESP Eclipse

Any suggestion?

If you can adapt to most neck profiles, and pickups don't matter to you, why exactly do you want to upgrade? I don't really understand that. If necks and pickups aren't really an issue, just get the guitar you think looks the coolest.

• Members

Obviously, you aren't ready to buy yet. You needs visit guitar stars as often as possible and play as many interesting guitars as you can. You won't know which is "the one" until you do. Besides, it fun!

Agreed 110% - right now you need to play a whole bunch of different guitars, and throw out any preconceived notions about brand, etc. Figure out what neck profile and nut width you like best. Figure out what kind of tremolo you want (or none). Do you want stainless steel frets, or a certain fret size?

I can adapt to most neck profiles, pickups don't really matter.

This is probably why you haven't found "the one." I play all kind of guitars, but my #1s definitely feel better in my hands. I can play anything, but I'd *rather* play guitars with the best neck for my hands.

That said, my 2c is that it's hard to find a better overall electric guitar than a Suhr, regardless what genre you play.

Archived