Ready to sell all my junk and get a really nice guitar.....but what?

jr_vw2

• Members

Carvin is a great choice but you need to know one thing: do you like neck through or not? I don't. I have owned a few and they always felt stiff. My preference is 1) bolt on, 2) set, 3) through. If I were to ever order a Carvin (a possibility), it would be a Bolt.

• Members

I didn't understand all the Carvin enthusiasm until I bought one. Now I understand. You can pay more, but you simply cannot buy better.

Well...as a happy owner of a carvin I would disagree with this statement. There are better guitars out there than carvin.

• Members

The Music Man Petrucci is a good choice. And the BFR variant is probably an even better choice if you want to drop the coin.

Can't believe I didn't think of this! Just bought the Sterling version and it is pretty amazing for the money. A full-blown Ernie Ball would be a great choice.

• Members

Jackson Custom Soloist U.S.A .

This.

SL2-DIAG-LG.jpg

I have the GK3 on another guitar now but this guitar is light, resonant, as easy to play as you can make a guitar and the thru-neck is wonderful.

There's not a style of music you couldn't play on this guitar. My recent solo record on itunes has 16 songs - that guitar is on every song but two.

That Carvin in this thread would probably be similar.

• Members

If you can adapt to most neck profiles, and pickups don't matter to you, why exactly do you want to upgrade? I don't really understand that. If necks and pickups aren't really an issue, just get the guitar you think looks the coolest.

Pickups can always be changed. And I have never really found a neck that I just hated I canusually adapt to most necks very easily.

• Members

I have owned dozens and dozens of guitars over the years. I have played just about every neck profile out there. There are some things that I don't like but I have been surprised many times with guitars I didn't think I would like.

I don't have a total fender hatred they just don't put out anything that I like.

Thy being said there are some specs that I like but I'm not married to

1 11/16 nut

Hardtail

HH pickup setup

No glossy necks

25.5 scale

I like set necks but I like bolt ons just as well.

I used to think that I hated giant baseball bat neck profiles but I had been playing that peavey rotor a lot and it has a huge neck.

I agree I need to play more guitars but there is really only a guitar center here in town and if it's not a strat or les Paul they don't have it. Variety is not their strong point.

I'm really surprised no one as brought up les Pauls yet I figured this thread would be flooded with them.

• Members

Can't believe nobody has suggested this. If I was only going to have one guitar (that wasn't a Telecaster or a USA Peavey), it'd be a Gibson Les Paul, either Standard or Traditional. The ESP Eclipse is nice, but most people will see it as primarily a metal guitar. Nothing wrong with that, but you may someday want to play something else. A good Les Paul will fit in anywhere, and can do anything from jazz to the brutalest m/. Just ask these guys:

[YOUTUBE]VjcTMtiHZio[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Carvin is a great choice but you need to know one thing: do you like neck through or not? I don't. I have owned a few and they always felt stiff. My preference is 1) bolt on, 2) set, 3) through. If I were to ever order a Carvin (a possibility), it would be a Bolt.

Carvin offers

Neck thru (DC, ST, Ultra V, SC, V220, TL)

Set neck (CT, CT24, CS, DC3, SH)

Bolt on (Bolt, Bolt Plus, Contour 66, TLB60)

• Members

I think i just came my pants
:cry:
That thing is awesome. Is that a DC127? It looks old school from the 80's.

OMG i can't believe i forgot about them
:love:
And how someone actually knows them
:lol:

That is my 2009 ST300.

Carvin re-issued the shape.

My yellow and blue Carvins are from '89.

You can see there are some slight differences from the '89s and the '09.

hpim13991.jpg

hpim13981.jpg

hpim14051.jpg

hpim14071.jpg

hpim14091.jpg

hpim14111.jpg

• Members

I would go with a EBMM JP, it can do it all and the neck is SO sweet. Carvins are very nice too, I have a DC200 Stereo but like someone pointed out above...it feels very stiff

It's the freakin poly they heap on the damn things....

This is my DC135...

DSC06076.jpg

As I said I am very happy with this guitar...but I know what you guys are talking about when you say it's "stiff". If I could change one thing on it, it would be a nice thin nitro or oil finish. I believe carvin do offer oil finishes. Thankfully the guitar is fairly resonant anyway and sounds great so I can live with it. Maybe some day I'll have it re finished. Too new right now though.

• Members

That is my 2009 ST300.

Carvin re-issued the shape.

My yellow and blue Carvins are from '89.

You can see there are some slight differences from the '89s and the '09.

hpim14091.jpg

The neck thru joint is much easier to access i see. It looks like a great player. That color is awesome too.

• Members

The neck thru joint is much easier to access i see. It looks like a great player. That color is awesome too.

Thanks, Zantor9.

Access to the upper frets is uber easy.

Even the little hump on the '89s doesn't impede access.

Also, the arm bevel is larger on the '09.

And the neck is slightly rounder more C shape than the '89s flatter D shape.

But, Carvin does offer neck shapes now.

It's a hidden option and you have to call and ask.

• Members

Thanks, Zantor9.

Access to the upper frets is uber easy.

Even the little hump on the '89s doesn't impede access.

Also, the arm bevel is larger on the '09.

And the neck is slightly rounder more C shape than the '89s flatter D shape.

But, Carvin does offer neck shapes now.

It's a hidden option and you have to call and ask.

I heard about that hidden option too. I love the shape i have on mine as it is though so i don't know why i would want to change it. My Carvin is from around 2000 or so because of the roundish headstock so i'm guessing the person who owned it before me must have ordered the neck shape that way unless Carvin just got that option a few years ago.

Archived