May Great Deals Thread - *READTHIS>>>NoSpamAllowed!!<<READTHIS*

Frets99

• Members

In my experience (Fender pro jr.) 15 watts is loud enough for any size audience anybody posting here is likely to encounter. The only potential fly in the ointment is that a fair number of musicians have that "mine's bigger" mindset that ends up with the sonic equivalent of having enough nuclear weapons to destroy the world hundreds of times over. Since I became an adult and started playing with adults, I've noticed two things: 1) The number of watts required is much smaller, and 2) the audience and I can both get through a gig without significant bleeding from the ears.

I've never tried it but I honestly think I could play with a drummer with a 5w tube amp wired through a 2x12 mesa cabinet. That might be pushing it.

I completely agree though. My little cover band has me with a Dual Rectifier (on about level 2) which is completely unnecessary but I've had it for 10+ years and don't want to get rid of it (it is an early 90's model) and the other guy has a line 6 Spider 30w. We recently played at a friends pool party and it was plenty loud. The drummer beats this {censored} out of his drums too.

I have been thinking about replacing the DR. I was looking at the Blackstar 15w heads. Anyone have a good suggestion for a smaller replacement? I'm getting tired of hauling the DR and 2x12 in my friggin Honda.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Back in the day I was a drummer. My guitar player had a Vox AC30 and asked me to hold back a bit. But we played LOUD. I beat the {censored} out of my drums. Not to undercut my buddy BS, but I kind of wonder if 15 watts is enough to be heard over a drum set. Not is to say it is not possible, but I've never tried it. I had a Blackheart Handsome Devil for a while - switchable 7 or 15 watts. In jamming with a buddy who had a Marshall Haze, I never had to switch it up to 15 watts - but we did not have a drummer there. I can say I have a Crate VC30, and will take the plaster off the walls.

• Members

what about clean headroom on the night train? anyone?

BREAKING NEWS!

I can't comment on the Night Train. I did own the Jet City Pico Valve which had zero clean headroom. Right now I'm fooling around with the Tweaker and yes it does have more power than the Night Train or Pico Valve, but I am sooooo impressed with the cleans on this thing right now.

Now back to your normally scheduled channel.

• Members

BREAKING NEWS!

I can't comment on the Night Train. I did own the Jet City Pico Valve which had zero clean headroom. Right now I'm fooling around with the Tweaker and yes it does have more power than the Night Train or Pico Valve, but I am sooooo impressed with the cleans on this thing right now.

looking at the tweaker it seems great on paper. so it has big headroom cleans or what? that's generally a requirement for me because I like pedals.

• Members

BREAKING NEWS!

Completely different amps. The Pico is designed to get awesome overdrive at lower volumes. Night Train has far more headroom.

And on to the deal:

ESP LTD Viper-100FM Electric Guitar See-Thru Black $249

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KN6NI0/ref=s9_simh_gw_p267_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=04NMZFHBJWS3HXAVDQH6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

31vYNs-1uHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

That's $1000 off!!!

• Members

I think Amazon has it listed with the wrong normal retail price. It's $249 everywhere else.

I'm no expert on ESP though

OK - got it.

Sorry, Yarb, but it's $249 everywhere, and that's only $107 off list.

Archived