They Took Everything!

jumpwin

• Members

We had just finished a gig in Bristol and had loaded the car with my guitars and amp. I was gone literally 3 minutes to help our drummer carry his kit down and saw that my cars doors were all open and everything had gone. They had smashed the rear door window and taken all my gear! I genuinely feel like I have lost a child. That may sound cliche, but my gear was my life. Please if anybody sees or hears of left handed; Gibson les Paul standard. Amber burst, no pick guard. Fender JagStang in dark sparkle red, rare as hens teeth and only One in this colour. An epiphone dot, cherry red with humbucker size P90's. Fender jaguar 3 tone sunburst, a fender twin, silverface. I will put serial numbers down when I find them also what pedals were there. This stuff is my life, I don't joke about that. I feel like a fool, a d can't work out how they got everything in such a short space of time. Please if you hear of anything sounding like any of this gear get In Touch as I have nothing left. Thanks in advance

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sorry to hear that. I've had simular things happening loading gear and stuff stolen.

In the future you learn to load in relays where one guy is outside and one is in and you switch watching each others backs.

As one comes out to load the other heads inside. Theres always lowlifes hanging out watching you carefully.

They look to see if you're hainging with friends and fans then they strike.

One guy will watch the inside while the other steals the stuff.

It sucks when one man steals another mans tools he needs to earn a living.

• Members

That sucks big time man!

It's probably a good thing that your stuff is rarer, in terms of having a chance of getting it back, but obviously {censored}, if you have to replace anything.

Speaking of which how are you covered insurancewise?

3 lefties at once! I think you do have a chance at getting em back:thu:

Major Mojo sent man! I feel for ya!

• Members

What must the crime statistics be like outside stage and rear entrances to venues? No doubt the locals know the territory. It's doubtful they will keep a lefty guitar so watch the eBay sales and the pawn shops! They may even be bold/foolish enough to try and sell using classifieds in the guitar mags.

• Members

I live up in Leeds, but will certainly take note of all this and keep a look out. You should post up on all the forums you can about this, and maybe inform as many shops in the region as possible? There can't be that many. Also pawn shops. Watching ebay is also a good idea, although no doubt they will wait until they list it on there, or may not list it there at all.

Edit: another idea might be to put an ad in the guitar magazines, such as 'Guitarist' in their 'looking for' section. Say you are looking for one or more of the guitars (as if you wanted to buy) and see if that turns anything up. It would be good if they had a 'stolen gear' section, but I suppose they wouldn't want to do that.

Finally - writing to BBC Crime Watch? You did lose equipment that is worth a lot, it's distinctive and it might be a story they would be interested in. Then you'd get national coverage.

• Members

Commiserations on that. Must be awful.

Coupla thoughts -- to heist that much stuff in that short a time, they must have had another vehicle ready to stash your gear in and drive it away ... I mean, a silverface Twin isn't exactly something you can drop into a backpack.

Any CCTV cameras outside the venue or nearby? If yes, then the cops should be able to trace the getaway car ...

• Members

Really bad luck.

I'd normally trust gear to be safe in a locked car - especially when you're just around the corner. Guess you can't be too careful...

Make sure you hit all the pawn shops with a description and photos if you've got them, and go straight to the police with serial numbers, photos etc and get a crime reference number - they may not be much use in terms of helping you find the gear but if you find it yourself then a crime ref number can be very useful when it comes to claiming it back.

Mojo.

• Members

I've contacted the police and they gave me a reference number and told me they'd be in touch. In other words get lost! Sadly there's no CCTV either. The insurance won't cover it because it was in the car, and I'm close to bloody tears! I can't believe I was such an idiot as to not have had adequate insurance, and have someone wait by my car like I normally do! I was literally a 20 second walk from the car and didn't think anything like this would happen. I really can't believe that for the first time in my playing life I am without a playable guitar! I have an aching, empty feeling instead!

• Members

That sucks man. NEVER NEVER NEVER leave your stuff unattended, even for a second. Thieves just wait for that opportunity. When I was gigging i'd usually ask a friend to 'man the cars' while the band loaded up. Usually there is always someone around I trust who is glad to do it.

• Members

To get
3 guitars
and a large amp in 3 minutes, there was also probably more than one person. Good luck catching these thieves.

Wasn't it FOUR guitars: a Gibson LP, an Epi Dot, a Jaguar and a Jagstang? Those plus a Twin represents a LOT of gear to move in a very short time, not to mention breaking into a locked car.

Wonder if the thieves were experienced roadies ... or another band?

A VERY long time ago, the band I was in used to store our gear and rehearse in the basement of a local pub whose manager liked us. One night, he allowed the band who were playing there to use that basement as a dressing room ... and they nicked our bassist's Acoustic bass head and left the massive matching cab halfway up a fire escape when the manager (who lived upstairs) heard suspicious noises, ran downstairs and (almost) caught them in the act.

A cop was called, the manager gave him the name and contact details of the other band ... and nothing was ever done. Rather than play cowboys with them, the manager bought us a new bass head (cheap and inferior, I'm afraid, but we appreciated the gesture) ... and never again allowed another band into 'our' basement.

Personally ... I'd say that there's something EXTRA contemptible about stealing from another musician

Archived