They Took Everything!

jumpwin

• Members

That's really sad. It's stories like this that makes me think I'll never be playing live with my most prized instruments.

Problem is I even get attached to my cheapies. I develop a relationship with ever guitar I have, and whether I have $100 or $2000 invested in it I'd still miss it dearly. :cry:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm saying more in the sense that I'm less of a target if I have Squier everything.

:lol:

Maybe true, but most crack addicts and thieves have no idea what they have till they try and sell it to a pawn shop or on the street. Even then they probably get ripped off for what it's actually worth, not that I feel bad about that. Point is, they see a guitar and assume it's worth something and that's usually enough to push them to take the opportunity once given.

• Members

Of course, you have no crackhead protection, but those guys are nothing to worry about, they'll get caught easily, too. It's the professionals who can steal four guitars and a large combo amp in 3 minutes that I'm worried about, and those guys absolutely know the value of everything they're going after, and if you've got four Squiers in your car, you're just not worth it.

• Members

Of course, you have no crackhead protection, but those guys are nothing to worry about, they'll get caught easily, too. It's the professionals who can steal four guitars and a large combo amp in 3 minutes that I'm worried about, and those guys absolutely know the value of everything they're going after, and if you've got four Squiers in your car, you're just not worth it.

You are probably right in this case. I really wonder how they pulled it off. You can't get far running down the street with an amp in one hand and a guitar in the other. There must have been a a few and they probably pulled up a car or van, loaded it up and sped off.

• Members

Commiserations on that. Must be awful.

Coupla thoughts -- to heist that much stuff in that short a time, they must have had another vehicle ready to stash your gear in and drive it away ... I mean, a silverface Twin isn't exactly something you can drop into a backpack.

Any CCTV cameras outside the venue or nearby? If yes, then the cops should be able to trace the getaway car .

Another reason why BBC Crimewatch may be interested. They like crimes that are potentially solvable.

• Members

We had just finished a gig in Bristol and had loaded the car with my guitars and amp. I was gone literally 3 minutes to help our drummer carry his kit down and saw that my cars doors were all open and everything had gone. They had smashed the rear door window and taken all my gear! I genuinely feel like I have lost a child. That may sound cliche, but my gear was my life. Please if anybody sees or hears of left handed; Gibson les Paul standard. Amber burst, no pick guard. Fender JagStang in dark sparkle red, rare as hens teeth and only One in this colour. An epiphone dot, cherry red with humbucker size P90's. Fender jaguar 3 tone sunburst, a fender twin, silverface. I will put serial numbers down when I find them also what pedals were there. This stuff is my life, I don't joke about that. I feel like a fool, a d can't work out how they got everything in such a short space of time. Please if you hear of anything sounding like any of this gear get In Touch as I have nothing left. Thanks in advance

Man that is just awful. I've been ripped off before and it is a horrible feeling. Being your life... I understand.

I think those miscreants knew what you had was rare and they planned this job. That your gear was so distinctive may help in getting it back. I hoe so.

• Members

HORRIBLE. I am very sorry to hear this news. I've had gear stolen a few times and I know how it feels. Of course, I never had gear that was as expensive as yours.

Not to rub salt in the wound, but this story supports what I've been telling gigging musicians for years: keep the Gibsons and Fenders at home or someplace safe. Do the gigging with Squiers, Agiles and other less expensive gear. That way, when you get ripped off (notice I said "when", not "if"), you won't be out thousands of dollars.

Again. not trying to rub salt in the wound, just trying to give advice.

• Members

similar thing happened to me a few years ago. brother left a bunch of our gear in a car outside his girlfriends house overnight. huge, stupid {censored}ing mistake. got wiped out. lost my hamer usa mirage 2, a fender american standard strat, and a fender hot rod deville among a bunch of other pedals and {censored}. I quit music for like 3 or 4 years. unfortunately, though we did contact the authorities and all the pawn shops we could find in the area, none of the gear was ever recovered. I hate to say it but I think your chances of getting anything back are low, and get lower as the days pass.

it sucks but I don't know if I'd equate it to losing a child. if someone took one of my little nieces I would literally want to die the agony would be so great. it's not the same league at all.

anyway, I definitely know what it's like to get wiped out of your gear and I wouldn't wish this to happen to anyone. I'm sorry to hear it and best wishes.

• Members

I'll add this little tidbit:http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/msg/2449158332.html

I hope you recover your gear. Or at least find some way to make yourself whole again.

Okay, I have to stop thinking about this stuff cuz it makes me want to do really, really horrible things to people who steal from people like you. Not that stealing from anybody is justified (unless you or your children are starving or sick and you can't pay for medical help). But when people steal from just average people who work hard to get what little they have I get a little homicidal in my head.

• Members

Major bummer.

Appears to be going around though - http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/msg/2449158332.html

Did you purchase any of the gear with a credit card? My CC has a buyers protection clause that covers such things as loss from theft, etc. Fortunately I've not had to use it for my gear, but over the years I've had a couple mountain bikes stolen and the CC gave me a full refund once I submitted a police report. Just a thought.

Good luck and mojo sent.

• Members

Major bummer.

Appears to be going around though -

Did you purchase any of the gear with a credit card? My CC has a buyers protection clause that covers such things as loss from theft, etc. Fortunately I've not had to use it for my gear, but over the years I've had a couple mountain bikes stolen and the CC gave me a full refund once I submitted a police report. Just a thought.

Good luck and mojo sent.

that sounds crazy. what would stop a dishonest person from just.. hiding the item, tellin the cops someone stole it, then getting the money from the cc company? seems to be a system full of holes.

• Members

that sounds crazy. what would stop a dishonest person from just.. hiding the item, tellin the cops someone stole it, then getting the money from the cc company? seems to be a system full of holes.

Same could be said about insurance claims I suppose. Dishonest people, unless you're a politician, usually get caught sooner or later.

Most major CC's offer buyers protection but most people don't bother to read the fine print, so they don't know about it. I've made a point of making major purchases with my CC just for this protection. Beats the hell out of paying annual insurance premiums then having the adjuster deny a claim because of a small technicality.

Archived