Duncan Pearly Gates Vs Alnico II Pro for semi hollow

burton4snow

• Members

Out of those two, pearly gates for sure. I find the alnico II a little tame but it's still a damn good pickup. Pretty smooth and warm, due to the magnet (II in stead of V). Semi-hollows are warmer than a solid body to begin with and that's why I would choose the pearly gates, it rocks more. Bridge gates/Neck alnico II would sound good.

Truth is, you have so many options now with a lot of good quality it is hard to choose.

• Members
Which would be better in a semi hollow for blues rock to hard rock playing Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, Ac/Dc, Kiss, That late 70s hard blues stuff.

one of my favorite combos is a Pearly in the bridge and a Pro II in the neck. Do they have to match?

• Members

Well if you can get your hands on one of the X-Tone semi hollow guitars from ESP you can find out for yourself. Those come with Seymour Duncan Alnico II pickups and they sound great.

I have an earlier version that came with a Jazz and a JB. I'd like to be able to A/B the two. I really like mine, but the Alnico II sounds like a slightly more mellow choice (in a good way) for that model.

But that is a smaller bodied semi-hollow which is a bit more like a cavity SB compared to a 335 for example, so I'm curious which S-H guitar you're talking about burton (?)

• Members

one of my favorite combos is a Pearly in the bridge and a Pro II in the neck. Do they have to match?

This is exactly what is in my Les Paul Classic, I would prefer a more vintage style PAF in the bridge myself. I find the gates a bit too bright and hot, and lacking in butt.

• Members

Not a fan of the PG

I guy i know has one in his PRS SE, and I have a JB in my SE.

In a side by side comparison, the JB destroyed the PG.

The PG sounded thin and very harsh on the high end compared to the JB.

So out of those 2, I would go for the Alnico II.

• Members

I love the AII Pros, but you had better have a decent amp to play them through. They are not high output. You will have to push your amp harder but, IMHO, are worth it. Very musical, very articulate. Sustain is better than with my JB/59 combo.

• Members

Not a fan of the PG

I guy i know has one in his PRS SE, and I have a JB in my SE.

In a side by side comparison, the JB destroyed the PG.

The PG sounded thin and very harsh on the high end compared to the JB.

So out of those 2, I would go for the Alnico II.

My thoughts too. I put a PG in a Yamaha SG700S (all mahogany construction) and it was thin and piercingly bright in that guitar. I believe the PG works well in plenty of guitars, but it sure didn't in mine. The only way it was useable was with a lot of gain to get that ZZ-Top type of tone. I replaced it with a 500T which balanced out the EQ quite a bit better.

Archived