I think I'm in love - Yes - With my American Special Telecaster - pics

GAS Man

• Members

Okay, it's not a car, but this music is still fitting so hit play and then let's talk

[video=youtube;gdDNFJpil50]

US11014828-front-l.jpg

US11014828-body-l.jpgUS11014828-detail2-l.jpgUS11014828-detail1-l.jpgUS11014828-detail4-l.jpgUS11014828-detail6-l.jpgUS11014828-detail5-l.jpgUS11014828-detail8-l.jpg

I'm thinking of this thread more as a public service announcement. ;)

I've had the guitar for a while now. And it just happens to be one of those that tends to "stay out"

It has the Fender Texas Special pickups which not everyone likes, but I do like them. This guitar is not as deep for a tele as say my '52 RI, but yet it's got that extra comfort of being a "players' guitar" and has the twang, vibe, presence and Frets "cluck" that you want from a Tele.

I'm $710 into this one new, which is a bit more than the MIMs but you do hear it. The MIM Standard is indeed a very good sounding guitar for the money, but this one is a bit more complex sounding.

Curious if others have gotten into these Special whether the Tele or Strat versions.

Talk to me !

• Members

I love my American Special. I've had it for about three months. Broke down and bought it when I found a stellar example at GC...I had been impressed with the ones I had played at other stores. Best telecaster I've ever had. I love the neck pickup the most. I like it quite a bit more than the two MIMs I have had, especially the neck pickup. The jumbo frets and satin neck finish rule.

5988869277_153995373e_z.jpg

5988890481_cb25f22472_z.jpg

5988887805_36fc76a0ff_z.jpg

• Members

Thanks for the comments

I just kinda wanted to talk about this level of instrument and compare note with you folks, like Selsaral there who also got one.

It just seems like some guitars are a bit easier to bond with and I've found that to be true SO FAR with this guy.

The only trouble I'm having with it is the nut seems to be shaved down a bit too far on top, so the B string sometimes pops out of its slot when I bend real close to the nut. I don't think there's enough room left to go deeper, so I'm wondering if I could build it up a hair on either side of the string with some super glue. :confused:

Very nice. Looks like a one piece. Could it be?

I had to go double check - couldn't remember.

It looks to be a two piece.

The second piece is just about an inch to the left of the bridge. I can't see it in the picture, but in the flesh it can be seen because there's bit of a different iridescence to the grain of the other piece. But you can see in this pic how the gain lines have a different angle, i.e. angling out a bit.

US11014828-body-l.jpg

But at least it is one that requires a close inspection to spot. :wave:

And great feeling necks on these as well. Not too fat not too thin. Seems to be designed for a player and not trying to conform to any classic Tele specs for neck contour.

Edit: I just looked it up and it's called a "Modern C"

• Members

This guy is more than a bit of a goof, but he does do a fairly good job of explaining the niche of the American Specials.

He was making me a bit uncomfortable with his goofiness, but then he won me over a little with his bit about the 22nd fret. :)

[video=youtube;DLkndFR8Fc4]

[video=youtube;vkiD0GH2D2I]

Body: Alder

Finish: 3-tone Sunburst, Gloss Urethane

Neck: Maple, Modern "C" Shape

Fingerboard: Maple

Frets: 22, Jumbo Frets

Scale Length: 25.50"

Nut Width: 1.69"

Hardware: Chrome

Tuning Keys: Fender Standard Cast/Sealed Tuning Machines

Bridge: Vintage Style 3-Saddle Strings-thru-body Tele Bridge

Pickguard: 3-Ply Black/White/Black

Pickups: 2 Texas Special Strat

• Members

GAS Man, I love the Am Specials, and completely agree with what you've said. I especially dig the necks - the combo of satin and the jumbo frets is a winner, and I like the Texas Specials as well.

My next electric will most likely be an AmSpec Strat :thu:

• Members

The second piece is just about an inch to the left of the bridge. I can't see it in the picture, but in the flesh it can be seen because there's bit of a different iridescence to the grain of the other piece. But you can see in this pic how the gain lines have a different angle, i.e. angling out a bit.

US11014828-body-l.jpg

But at least it is one that requires a close inspection to spot.
:wave:

Yeah, I see it. Smart move to put it where it's least noticable. Beautiful.

• Members

Yeah, I see it. Smart move to put it where it's least noticeable. Beautiful.

Yeah, I never really know just fer sher how important the mulit-piece issue is. I once had a respected luthier, Randy Parsons, tell me that the quality of the wood is more important than the number of pieces used in the body.

But he of course meant that you're better off having a 2 to 4 piece body of good tone wood than a one piece solid body made from crappy dead wood; and one would infer that having a one piece body from good tone wood would be the best of both worlds.

but I do feel a bit better with these multi-piece configurations if there is a solid piece under the bridge. I seems to me like there's got to be a heart to the tone around that area so I'm used to seeing these offset pieces, rather than symmetrical halves, on guitars like this or the cheaper Gibsons. In other words, I guess that symmetry might be more aesthetically pleasing, but maybe having just one glued on wing might sound better than splitting them up the middle. :idk:

Archived