People walking by a "busker" not realizing they're passing by a legend...

Jkater

• Members

Ok I give, who is that?

Really?

No problem if you haven't heard of him, but he was one of the top premier acoustic guitarists of the early 80s who was often categorized into "New Age" with Windham Hill artists.

This is his most well known piece.

[video=youtube;XqGHE5GqZ44]

But a much better acoustic guitar player than car driver.

• Members

I saw a video like that where Bruce Springsteen was "busking" on the street in like Denmark or something, just playing guitar and harmonica and singing. Some people would drop a dollar into his case, but
very few people recognized him

This? I think the 100 or so people standing around and singing along recognized him. ;)

[video=youtube;EQzpefkdPl0]

• Members

I remember being at Seaside Heights in New Jersey in the late sixties with my girlfriend and another couple. We walk past a small club and the marque says Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. My buddy says no cause we never heard of him yet. :facepalm:

• Members

I saw a video like that where Bruce Springsteen was "busking" on the street in like Denmark or something, just playing guitar and harmonica and singing. Some people would drop a dollar into his case, but very few people recognized him.

I saw one video from back East, I think it might have been in the DC Metro Station, where one of the Country's top violinists was playing down in the train station. Most everyone walked by not paying any attention to the beautifully played Classical music he was performing, except a young child who was staring at him in awe as the child's mother dragged him along. It's odd how many people (most) have to be stopped and told "hey, this is great stuff here - stop - listen". I had years of working at an Opera House and would see the town's upper class turn out in droves for the local Symphony. But you could tell that for most of them they were just there themselves to be seen out - supporting the arts. They were the same people who would walk right by something like that or leave another performance at the hall only half full if it wasn't pre-programmed on their season tickets.

hmmm - found it

[video=youtube;hnOPu0_YWhw]

• Members

Really. Who is it?

I thought Gas Man answered your question in a satisfactory way but I'll say that Michael Hedges was a guitar hero to every fingerstyle acoustic guitarist on the planet. He had a technique impossible to emulate and as a jazz educated musician knew what he was doing harmonically. He died too young like so many geniuses.

• Members

That's kinda funny. Michael was never really a household name. His music was more challenging to listen to than your average pop tune, so he never drew throngs, anyway.

He and I grew up in the same town. He was/is known there, but not to a huge extent, as he didn't use fiddles. :D

I had the pleasure of seeing him once before he died.

That was, and will probably always be, the greatest single guitar performance I've ever seen. The guy was one of a kind.

EG

Archived