Cheap Pickups for a Mid/High End Level Guitar... Is It Worth It?

dimibetan

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You have to understand, BG76, then that it's a little annoying to post in the way that you do, acting like other people are spending lavishly and you're just scraping by, when you're the one that is sitting at home with more preamps than most posters on this forum will ever even know. Do you really think that all of us, especially younger posters like me, can actually afford the gear you have by being a good shopper if we just stopped buying $400 guitars? Maybe, yes, but it'll take a few years to do it, especially when we have debts to pay off, rent to pay, etc. And we can't exactly put our musical activities on hold until we can afford higher priced gear, especially when the benefits of such gear aren't immediately obvious.

Regardless, it'd be easier to take you seriously and with a kinder note if it felt like you kept an open mind and actually showed signs of having useful and helpful advice for people who aren't in your enviable position, even if you don't realize that it's envious. Accusing people of being shills isn't exactly the way to build confidence in your open-mindedness and willingness to accept. If someone says they love their ART preamp, it's probably because they aren't in a position to have a Universal Audio. But there's no reason to {censored} on the person for buying an ART, when that person is excited about his gear and making music with it and having a ball. You could guide them and say, I don't like it, here's a good upgrade path for you, but to be like, "Did ART pay you to say their {censored} is good? Peeeww..." well, that's what you're sounding like.

In any case, I believe in spending money on good effects, preamps, microphones, AD/DA, and stuff like that. I graduated {censored}ty microphones a long time ago. I have them, but nowadays I buy stuff I'm going to use forever. I'd rather have one AE5400 than five Nady whatevers. The thing is, though, I think there's a tangible difference between the good stuff and the mediocre stuff there. Stuff like caps, resistors, op-amps, etc., the good stuff does cost money, quite a bit more than the cheap stuff.

But see, when you're talking about a guitar, or a PAF style humbucking pickup... I mean, come on. We know where to find the best parts. I can get them myself. It's not that expensive and it's easy to see that a $400 pickup can't be five times more valuable than a $80 pickup when it's not like there's a secret source of boutique AlNiCo bar magnets out there. I can build a guitar myself and if I have the tools, the parts do not cost that much money. It takes time, true, but it's easy to see that a $500-600 guitar can be built, even in America, without cutting corners, so I'm sorry if we balk at a little bit at people who assume that cheap stuff is {censored}.

Every famous musician or producer I've ever seen has cheap gear they love and expensive {censored} they hate, too. It proves that they only care about what comes out as signal, not the hype around it.

• Members

Elias, I understand you're trying to get a rise out of me but the best thing is for me to live well and enjoy my life, family and cool guitars.

You can follow me from thread to thread. I think it's funny because you're a joke to me so please feel free to keep it going. Your videos and posts are the source of great amusement so please keep posting.

For the benefit of the others I'll ignore your foolishness but make sure to keep the content coming:)

PS - Last I heard Ed was in the hospital with a serious health issue. You may want to refrain from attacking him until he's out, but that's your call.

• Members

Oh, and, still waiting for those names, ed.

EG

Are you rally saying that you have NOT seen people here saying "Call xxx and he'll make you some good pickups " ?

I believe that is the kind of "pimping" (my word ) that is being pointed out, and as said "for a pat on the head", not even implying any business relationship or' money changing hands.

Why is it controversial or worthy of some confrontation to point it out and mention that it might not be the best way to decide which pickups to use in your guitar ?

• Members

Maybe, maybe not. Look what happens when I try to help someone with a neck rest:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2849846-N-%28OLD%29GD-This-will-be-fun!

Honestly, there are a couple antisemetic people on here (any guess as to who) who hate due to race.

If you want my best advice it's to get the best equipment you can for the best price you can, learn how to fix things (I have posted tons of build/fix threads here), and like I always say - wait to buy gear that is great instead of bandwagon jumping. You would be amazed at the cool stuff that is out there. I have said this before but I go to auctions, tag sales, estate sales, etc.... That's where most of the cool stuff I find comes from these days.

I have some cheap stuff I like. I have a couple Danelectros and some low money amps like the old Ric and Silvertone stuff. Honestly, most of the "expensive" stuff I have cost less then the "cheap" stuff people here buy. I just will wait and save.

To each their own.

• Members

Are you rally saying that you have NOT seen people here saying "Call xxx and he'll make you some good pickups " ?

I believe that is the kind of "pimping" (my word ) that is being pointed out, and as said "for a pat on the head", not even implying any business relationship or' money changing hands.

Why is it controversial or worthy of some confrontation to point it out and mention that it might not be the best way to decide which pickups to use in your guitar ?

I've never exactly said that about anyone, but why is that suspicious? I have no business relationship with Mr. Curtis Novak, but I've had conversations with him over email and he was very kind and helpful in terms of trying to figure out what kind of custom pickups would work for me. I didn't ultimately buy anything, but I had a positive experience with one foot in the door. So I've said at some point on this forum, "I think you should talk to Mr. Curtis Novak and see if he can help you make a custom Jazzmaster pickup that's a little different." Is that pimping someone for pats on the head? I don't think so.

And maybe it's different because Mr. Gunsher and Mr. Rose do post here, but Novak does post on some other forums, so it's not like he is completely foreign to social media. Would the line I dropped be shilling if I did it on a site he posted on, even though it's the exact same sentiment?

• Members

Elias has a hard on for chasing me from thread to thread. He already tried to destroy someone's thread who needed help fixing their archtop.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2849846-N-%28OLD%29GD-This-will-be-fun

I just consider him a source of amusement so just ignore him.

Honeyiscool - You seem like an ok person. I don't take anything you say personally. My mission is to convince people that there are cool alternatives to GC/MF/GFS, etc... and to not be afraid to build a guitar or to buy something and fix it. My big thing is to get the killer deal - which can still be done.

I think jimash is refering to Elias' implosion of insanity asking for names of people, etc..... I have been LOL'ing at him all night.

There are a lot of nuts here, there are some racist pos, but there are also some cool people here as well. The best thing is when I get a PM from someone about them trying to build or fix something.

• Members

This thread took an odd turn... or maybe a 'normal for HCEG' turn. :lol:

I don't think I'll ever tire of folks arguing over the cheap vs expensive vs 'good value' thing... of course, I never read it so I don't really care.

I'm going back to playing my $60 Squier 51 with a BG neck pickup through my $1400 amp and boutique pedals now.

DSC_8619a1.jpg

• Members

If he's going after someone's character, he needs to have balls enough to say who he means.

He wusses out and tosses side remarks belittling people here constantly. He needs to sack up and say what he means.

EG

• Members

Honeyiscool - You seem like an ok person. I don't take anything you say personally. My mission is to convince people that there are cool alternatives to GC/MF/GFS, etc... and to not be afraid to build a guitar or to buy something and fix it. My big thing is to get the killer deal - which can still be done.

At that, do you ever realize that maybe you're just ridiculously good at shopping for deals? Anyone who gets an 60s Mustang for what you did when it's the dream guitar for a lot of people is doing something right. And if that's the case, you shouldn't act like it's easy or natural. Besides, if everyone started doing the same things you did, the prices would go up and you'd eventually find it no longer economical to do what you do to find deals. For instance, I have absolute pitch and almost every time I talk about it, I end up offending someone because it's hard to talk about a skill that is incredibly useful yet out of the reach of just about everybody. And that's why I take care to make sure people understand that I don't act like what I can naturally do should be easy to other people. Maybe you have certain traits, call it being frugal, resourceful, patient or whatever, that helps find great deals for you. And those things might be impossible to develop in other people, so it makes sense to be a bit more modest about it, don't you think?

In any case, many of our cheap guitars are project guitars to some extent and I learned how to solder and wire and maintain on a $100 Hello Kitty guitar that became a sad pile of crap by the time I was done with it, then I sold it (actually for a profit) and bought another one and then built a dream guitar out of it with the lessons I learned. I think it'd be relatively impossible to learn these DIY skills if you only buy US-made PRSes because what exactly could be wrong about any of them?

• Members

If he's going after someone's character, he needs to have balls enough to say who he means.

He wusses out and tosses side remarks belittling people here constantly. He needs to sack up and say what he means.

EG

I said what I mean and that dude explained it to you in even plainer language. I'm not going after anyone's character, I'll type slow this time so maybe you'll be able to get it.

There are people on this forum who will shill for a pat on the head. That doesn't mean they take money, it doesn't mean a vendor is putting them up to something. It happens, and many of us (including jimash) have seen it over and over.

You don't get it. It's ok. I have a feeling that there is a lot in life that you don't get. I don't put a lot of stock into what you think of me as I don't consider a guy who was best friends with a pedophile since he was in the 7th grade to be a stellar judge of people.

Now if you want to call me Ed Roman that is fine too. I would rather be called Ed Roman then Elias Graves.

If you want to keep stalking me like a crazy person that's your prerogative and there's not much I can do about it so go ahead.

• Members

I said what I mean and that dude explained it to you in even plainer language. I'm not going after anyone's character, I'll type slow this time so maybe you'll be able to get it.

There are people on this forum who will shill for a pat on the head. That doesn't mean they take money, it doesn't mean a vendor is putting them up to something. It happens, and many of us (including jimash) have seen it over and over.

You don't get it. It's ok. I have a feeling that there is a lot in life that you don't get. I don't put a lot of stock into what you think of me as I don't consider a guy who was best friends with a pedophile since he was in the 7th grade to be a stellar judge of people.

Now if you want to call me Ed Roman that is fine too. I would rather be called Ed Roman then Elias Graves.

If you want to keep stalking me like a crazy person that's your prerogative and there's not much I can do about it so go ahead.

You made the accusation. Name the names.

We have shills AND racists now. Please enlighten us.

Who? Afraid to stand behind what you said?

EG

• Members

Dude, that's so wrong. That's like letting the rich kids consort with the kitchen help.
:eek:

Hey man... I bought those kitchen workers fair and square. If my kids wanna berate them for buying cheap pickups and occasionally kick them or whatever, who are you to judge? :mad:

:lol:

• Members

I'm not wanting to take sides on this, but In the few years I've been here I've witnessed the shilling too. It was especially obvious in the pro-GFS days, but lately it's taken a new form. I'll just leave it at that. Take or don't take what you want from it. I'm not naming names as I like most of the people here and I wish to return here as it's generally a fun place to hang out.

• Members

I'm not wanting to take sides on this, but In the few years I've been here I've witnessed the shilling too. It was especially obvious in the pro-GFS days, but lately it's taken a new form. I'll just leave it at that. Take or don't take what you want from it. I'm not naming names as I like most of the people here and I wish to return here as it's generally a fun place to hang out.

Thanks man, most of us have seen it a lot over the years. Not sure why it's such a hot button issue.

Oh well.

• Members

I thought Jay stopped posting because there was so much anti-GFS stuff going on. Now I hear it was full of pro-GFS shilling.

So what is it?

I remember there being a ton of pro-GFS type stuff to the point of craziness. I posted some negative stuff about them but that just angered a lot of people, then I posted some positive stuff about them when people got mad about dumb stuff.

I have had some problems with the guy but at the end of the day he's a nice guy and his company gives good service. I didn't really like the products I bought, despite the rave reviews but I think he was always well received by the majority here that I saw. If someone had a low rent guitar I would suggest his stuff if they wanted to change stuff on it. Maybe opinion here has swayed but if it has it is unknown to me.

• Members

Let's just get it out there, BG was talking about me(as if we didn't all know). What I don't understand is why it's "shilling" when I recommend a friends product that I have great personal experience with. It's no different than BG76 recommending Fralin, Lollar, Mojotone, or any other recommendation on this board.

Archived