Cheap Pickups for a Mid/High End Level Guitar... Is It Worth It?

dimibetan

• Members

Hi guy!!!

I have my parts almost ready for my Strat build (I'm not sure if I should classify this as Mid or High end level):

- 93' Am Strat body CAR with Floyd Rose routing (swimming pool pickup routing)

- 11' Am Std Strat maple neck with rosewood fingerboard

- Original Floyd Rose Trem

- Pots, Tuners, etc (all American and authentic Fender parts)...

Only missing are knobs, switch, pickguard and PICKUPS... Yes, PICKUPS...

One member of this forum recommended me the DRAGONFIRE SCREAMERS which I researched and I read a lot of good comment about them. I even watched videos about these pickups and, for me, the sound really good... especially, videos Frets99 posted (really good cleans... Thanks Frets for the video).

[video=youtube;7OK5BR61FK4]

[video=youtube;ZB-kwTnY1EM]

Now, my question is: For this set-up above mentioned, is it worth it to buy cheap pickups e.g. the DRAGONFIRE SCREAMERS, or I should settle for American-made pickups like Seymour Duncan or Dimarzio?

Here are my options for what my build will look like (which I havent decided yet):

Guitar-Build_001.jpg

Guitar-Build_006.jpg

Guitar-Build_007.jpg

Thanks in advance!!! :thu:

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What is your budget? There are some nice pickups that go for cheap used. I see American Standard Strat pickups go really cheap sometimes because people like to change them and they sound good.

You can get a nice set of CS 69s or 54s for under $150 a set.

• Members

What is your budget? There are some nice pickups that go for cheap used. I see American Standard Strat pickups go really cheap sometimes because people like to change them and they sound good.

You can get a nice set of CS 69s or 54s for under $150 a set.

I got my eyes on those options...

Budget is up to a new set of SD pickups (thats more or less $160). but I really like the sound of the Dragonfires... or you would recommend a similar sounding set?

Thanks

Edit: I'm actually looking for humbuckers... that would also sound awesome with mid or heavy distortion....

• Members

If your enjoying them that's what matters. I would put a pair of Lace Sensor Red/Blue humbuckers in there if I wanted to go loud. Probably unconventional here but I really like them. I have them in one guitar and it just screams and sustains forever.

• Members

If your enjoying them that's what matters. I would put a pair of Lace Sensor Red/Blue humbuckers in there if I wanted to go loud. Probably unconventional here but I really like them. I have them in one guitar and it just screams and sustains forever.

Hmmm... They are interesting also...

• Members

Quality used pickups are inexpensive on CL and eBay - why buy cheap, {censored}ty PuPs?

The price of the pups DOES NOT determine how good they sound. I can't believe people who think they gots pups that cost a bazillion bucks so they MUST be good. Many of these peeps can't play worth a {censored} and should stick to a 99 buck First Act strat anyway. If the OP likes them he should put what he wants in the guitar.

• Members

get Ken at Rose Pickups or Bryan at BG Pickups to hand wind you something to your liking. you'll end up with a hand wound, American made pickup for less than a machine wound Dimarzio, Duncan, etc. and, Ken and Bryan's customer service is flat out unbeatable...

Uh, there ain't no such thang as a hand wound pup.

• Members

In my experience the people out there making really nice pickups charge a little more then the big companies.

Jason Lollar, Chris Kinman, etc... all make great pickups. They tend to be a little more then the bigger companies but in some cases they're worth it. For example, Lollar makes a short neck/tall bridge P-90 set and a really nice, authentic sounding Jazzmaster pickup. Stuff that other companies just don't make.

The bigger companies like Fender, Gibson Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio make really nice stuff as well and their products are really nice as well. I really like Gibson's Classic humbuckers and Fender's CS line of pickups and they're really affordable.

There are budget companies that make decent lower end stuff for the money. It doesn't really make sense to put $350 worth of Imperials into an Epiphone, so companies like GFS fill this niche. I think their marketing is a little over the top but they have good service and if you're looking for low money pickups they're pretty good.

The one thing I would steer clear of are the companies people will shill for pats on the head or companies that don't provide multiple clips (clean/dirty) of high quality on their site. I mean, today anyone can make a decent clip at home so why wouldn't someone who was selling guitar pickups?

At the end of the day it's your call.

• Members

In my experience the people out there making really nice pickups charge a little more then the big companies.

Jason Lollar, Chris Kinman, etc... all make great pickups. They tend to be a little more then the bigger companies but in some cases they're worth it. For example, Lollar makes a short neck/tall bridge P-90 set and a really nice, authentic sounding Jazzmaster pickup. Stuff that other companies just don't make.

The bigger companies like Fender, Gibson Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio make really nice stuff as well and their products are really nice as well. I really like Gibson's Classic humbuckers and Fender's CS line of pickups and they're really affordable.

There are budget companies that make decent lower end stuff for the money. It doesn't really make sense to put $350 worth of Imperials into an Epiphone, so companies like GFS fill this niche. I think their marketing is a little over the top but they have good service and if you're looking for low money pickups they're pretty good.

The one thing I would steer clear of are the companies people will shill for pats on the head or companies that don't provide multiple clips (clean/dirty) of high quality on their site. I mean, today anyone can make a decent clip at home so why wouldn't someone who was selling guitar pickups?

At the end of the day it's your call.

really:confused: because multiple people on this board "shill" for Duncan, Dimarzio, Fender, an Gibson constantly... i had a set of Florance Voo Doo '59s($300 new) with and A5 bridge and an A3 neck and while they are great pickups, they are'nt a bit better than anything Ken or Bryan has wound for me... in fact, they are being replaced with a set of A2 Rose Californias...

price has nothing to do with tone/quality when it comes to idividual winders. are GFS in the same league, not by a long shot, but Rose and BG defineately are...

BTW, i know what shill means... i was being sarcastic:poke:

• Members

really:confused: because multiple people on this board "shill" for Duncan, Dimarzio, Fender, an Gibson constantly... i had a set of Florance Voo Doo '59s($300 new) with and A5 bridge and an A3 neck and while they are great pickups, they are'nt a bit better than anything Ken or Bryan has wound for me... in fact, they are being replaced with a set of A2 Rose Californias...

price has nothing to do with tone/quality when it comes to idividual winders. are GFS in the same league, not by a long shot, but Rose and BG defineately are...

BTW, i know what shill means... i was being sarcastic:poke:

I didn't mention Rose or BG, never tried either of them so why should I.

All I'm saying is this board is known for bandwagon jumping so make sure when you buy something (guitar, pickup, amp) do your research on and off here.

I heard your Tele clip in the other thread and man, it was not my idea of great tone. These kind of things are subjective so look for a lot of well recorded clips before you buy something.

• Members

I didn't mention Rose or BG, never tried either of them so why should I.

All I'm saying is this board is known for bandwagon jumping so make sure when you buy something (guitar, pickup, amp) do your research on and off here.

I heard your Tele clip in the other thread and man, it was not my idea of great tone. These kind of things are subjective so look for a lot of well recorded clips before you buy something.

yeah, a web cam mic kinda sucks for sound clips. just out of curiosity, what didn't you like? and i took your shill comment as a dig at the Rose and BG reccomendations.... if it wasn't, i appologize...

• Members

I've gone both ways with cheap pickups in "expensive" guitars and expensive pickups in cheap guitars depending on what I am looking to accomplish for myself or my clientele. If it is for someone else, I usually try to give them options and price ranges.

I live and work 20 minutes from Fralin's shop. Unfortunately, because my guitar work is part-time/hobby based they will not give me any kind of discount. I can get a much better deal on a pickup that is just as good, if not better from either BG or Rose.

• Members

yeah, a web cam mic kinda sucks for sound clips. just out of curiosity, what didn't you like? and i took your shill comment as a dig at the Rose and BG reccomendations.... if it wasn't, i appologize...

Well, I'm not sure how you got that out of a comment that only mentioned brands I owned and didn't mention any of the brands you feel I made a dig at.

I thought the clip lacked the sparkle and twang that I have heard out of Telecasters that I have owned. It just sounded kind of blah. Like if you would have told me it was any low end guitar with generic pickups I would have believed you.

If you like them that's great. I tend to like a different type of sound then most here. I mean, you dissed an original 60 Les Paul Standard in favor of a Chinese model so it's pretty obvious we're looking for different tones.

This is why I told the OP to look for high quality clean and dirty clips when making his choice. Buying pickups blind is hard. Many people who make them (big and small) offer really nice sounding clips that you can compare and decide on what you like. Seeing as how recording at home is so cheap I would expect most of them to do so. YMMV.

• Members

Well, I'm not sure how you got that out of a comment that only mentioned brands I owned and didn't mention any of the brands you feel I made a dig at.

I thought the clip lacked the sparkle and twang that I have heard out of Telecasters that I have owned. It just sounded kind of blah. Like if you would have told me it was any low end guitar with generic pickups I would have believed you.

If you like them that's great. I tend to like a different type of sound then most here. I mean, you dissed an original 60 Les Paul Standard in favor of a Chinese model so it's pretty obvious we're looking for different tones.

This is why I told the OP to look for high quality clean and dirty clips when making his choice. Buying pickups blind is hard. Many people who make them (big and small) offer really nice sounding clips that you can compare and decide on what you like. Seeing as how recording at home is so cheap I would expect most of them to do so. YMMV.

the one thing I noticed on many of my own video demos is that the sound quality doesn't always do justice on the video vs being there in person.

Archived