Rush 2112 sucks ass

• Moderators

Stay with me here.....now

Overture I got no problem with, Temples of Syrinx, shows them at their mighty best......now Discovery

"Behind my beloved waterfall, in the little room that was hidden beneath the cave, I

Found it. I brushed away the dust of the years, and picked it up, holding it reverently in

My hands. I had no idea what it might be, but it was beautiful..."

Ahem

This bit is about a guy who finds an "ancient miracle" which has "wires that vibrate and make music"

Now here's my problem, from the time he picks it up till he's knocking out some sweet riffs is about what.........20-30seconds.

Now call me Mr Picky, but those Priests at the Temple are guardians of their "Great Computers", :wave: so the fuckers DO have forums and machinery, so how does this fucker start playing something he doesn't even know about within 30 secs max without going on to the Syrinx.net and finding out what the fuck he's dealing with, how it should be set up....the strings man, change the fucking strings:facepalm:......and I don't see how any decent valve amp is gonna survive behind that waterfall, even if I do suspend belief and think that the pots are OK on that sucker, and he needs at least another two months on a forum to learn how to dial that Lifeson tone in:confused:

I'm sorry Geddy and Co, but you should have tried way harder than that:mad:

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Actually, your beef is with Neil. He is the lyricist.

And I never understood the use of the word "ancient" in that song. I mean, we are only talking 100 years or so from now, or just a few more from the time it was written. I agree 2112 was Rush at their absolute best, Along with Moving pictures.

• Moderators

pretty sure you need to change the thread title or prepare for the ban hammer

Is suck or ass ban hammerable?

I don't think so, even felch wouldn't realy warrant a ban, as I'm not breaking any of the HC rules that I can see?

Maybe you could point to where it says sucking ass is a bannable offence.

• Members

This has to be a troll thread... HAS to be...

Is suck or ass ban hammerable?

I don't think so, even felch wouldn't realy warrant a ban, as I'm not breaking any of the HC rules that I can see?

Maybe you could point to where it says sucking ass is a bannable offence.

I don't think using those words constitute a ban, but I think using them in the same sentence as Rush may.

• Members

you know I'm a fairly decent rush fan....I mean not a rush dork or anything but enough to have seen them live and have a bunch of their albums including that one.....and honestly I have to say for some strange reason I've never really paid much attention to what Geddy is saying on most of them. I kind of just listen to his voice more as an instrument. And usually I am one to dissect lyrical content from bands I like as much as I like rush. Go figure. Maybe it's better I didn't.

• Members

Stay with me here.....now

Overture I got no problem with, Temples of Syrinx, shows them at their mighty best......now Discovery

"Behind my beloved waterfall, in the little room that was hidden beneath the cave, I

Found it. I brushed away the dust of the years, and picked it up, holding it reverently in

My hands. I had no idea what it might be, but it was beautiful..."

Ahem

This bit is about a guy who finds an "ancient miracle" which has "wires that vibrate and make music"

Now here's my problem, from the time he picks it up till he's knocking out some sweet riffs is about what.........20-30seconds.

Now call me Mr Picky, but those Priests at the Temple are guardians of their "Great Computers",
:wave:
so the fuckers DO have forums and machinery, so how does this fucker start playing something he doesn't even know about within 30 secs max without going on to the Syrinx.net and finding out what the fuck he's dealing with, how it should be set up....the strings man, change the fucking strings:facepalm:......and I don't see how any decent valve amp is gonna survive behind that waterfall, even if I do suspend belief and think that the pots are OK on that sucker, and he needs at least another two months on a forum to learn how to dial that Lifeson tone in:confused:

I'm sorry Geddy and Co, but you should have tried way harder than that:mad:

Agreed. If they were gonna be realistic about it there should be a huge box set that chronicles ten years of lessons and practice in excruciating detail. It should also cover some pickup swaps and at least a couple TS-808 clone runs. Y'know, just for authenticity. :thu:

• Moderators

Agreed. If they were gonna be realistic about it there should be a huge box set that chronicles ten years of lessons and practice in excruciating detail. It should also cover some pickup swaps and at least a couple TS-808 clone runs. Y'know, just for authenticity.
:thu:

Thaswhaamtalkinboutrithere!!!!!!!

• Members

but those Priests at the Temple are guardians of their "Great Computers",
:wave:
so the fuckers DO have forums and machinery, so how does this fucker start playing something he doesn't even know about within 30 secs max without going on to the Syrinx.net and finding out what the fuck he's dealing with, how it should be set up....the strings man, change the fucking strings:facepalm:......and I don't see how any decent valve amp is gonna survive behind that waterfall, even if I do suspend belief and think that the pots are OK on that sucker, and he needs at least another two months on a forum to learn how to dial that Lifeson tone in:confused:

At first I was :mad: and then I was :facepalm: but then I got to the above part and I was :lol::D

• Members

A. It's science fiction

B. teh intrnetz was destroyed by the federation

C. The real dilemma is where did he plug the amp into in a cave? What is this, the flintstones?

As an aside I saw rush in 1979, hemispheres tour, front row balcony in a 2000 seat theater. They opened with side 1 of 2112. Awesomeness never before seen by a 16 year old.

• Members

What you need to understand about 2112 is that the record company was grilling Rush hard. They wanted radio-friendly stuff and Caress of Steel had been a near disaster. Instead Rush said "screw it, we go out in a blaze of glory," went and wrote the OPPOSITE of what the company wanted with one whole side of the record being the 2112 Suite. It could hardly have been longer or more complex, it was outrageous as it was.

I know what you mean, but it's an allegory, a bit of compression in the story is just a requirement of the medium. But 2112 as it stands is basically Rush dropping their pants and mooning the record executives. The priests of Syrinx make a little more sense when you think of it that way.

Archived