Rush 2112 sucks ass

• Members
Stay with me here.....now

Overture I got no problem with, Temples of Syrinx, shows them at their mighty best......now Discovery

"Behind my beloved waterfall, in the little room that was hidden beneath the cave, I

Found it. I brushed away the dust of the years, and picked it up, holding it reverently in

My hands. I had no idea what it might be, but it was beautiful..."

Ahem

This bit is about a guy who finds an "ancient miracle" which has "wires that vibrate and make music"

Now here's my problem, from the time he picks it up till he's knocking out some sweet riffs is about what.........20-30seconds.

Now call me Mr Picky, but those Priests at the Temple are guardians of their "Great Computers",
:wave:
so the {censored}ers DO have forums and machinery, so how does this {censored}er start playing something he doesn't even know about within 30 secs max without going on to the Syrinx.net and finding out what the {censored} he's dealing with, how it should be set up....the strings man, change the {censored}ing strings:facepalm:......and I don't see how any decent valve amp is gonna survive behind that waterfall, even if I do suspend belief and think that the pots are OK on that sucker, and he needs at least another two months on a forum to learn how to dial that Lifeson tone in:confused:

I'm sorry Geddy and Co, but you should have tried way harder than that:mad:

It all seemed to make perfect sense when I was a stoner in high school. Now that I'm a somewhat sober old dude it sounds like a barge load of hooey.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Rush lyrics are usually pretty silly. But so are a lot of Zep lyrics, etc;

Im not a big lyric person so it doesnt bother me.

While it may be easy to jump on them for some of the crazy sci fi stuff, don't forget they wrote "Subdivisions", "Closer to the Heart", and "Distant Early Warning" too. Neil Peart is one of the most insightful lyricists to ever put pen to paper when it comes to commentary on the human condition and modern life. If they had just been writing about futuristic priests and bickering trees all this time they would have stopped resonating with people long ago. I still remember buying "2112" as a 13 year old back in the early 90s and hearing the cashier remark about how odd it is that someone so young would buy something so old, yet I still see teenagers buying Rush albums in 2012.

• Members

While it may be easy to jump on them for some of the crazy sci fi stuff, don't forget they wrote "Subdivisions", "Closer to the Heart", and "Distant Early Warning" too. Neil Peart is one of the most insightful lyricists to ever put pen to paper when it comes to commentary on the human condition and modern life. If they had just been writing about futuristic priests and bickering trees all this time they would have stopped resonating with people long ago. I still remember buying "2112" as a 13 year old back in the early 90s and hearing the cashier remark about how odd it is that someone so young would buy something so old, yet I still see teenagers buying Rush albums in 2012.

And I can remember today being in my friends basement ~1976 the first time I heard Rush, and it was the 2112 album. I can still remember my jaw hitting the floor when temples of Syrynx was playing, specifically Geddy singing the part of the priests and Neil ripping around the tom toms. It was the coolest thing I ever heard and today still one of my most vivid musical memories

• Members

I always thought that was weird when lyrics you connect to when you are like 12 and find silly when youre older were written by dudes in their 30s.

Um. It's called marketing. Go ask gene Simmons or any cock rocker. He'll explain.

• Members

Hey, if you don't like their lyrics then natural sciences, Jacobs ladder and la villa strangiato are for you.

If you need to ease your way in, give Xanadu a spin? Nice long intro to get you acclimated.

I just google the lyrics of that song, which is composed of misquotations of S. T. Coleridge. And I'm told I lack imagination. Good grief.

I'm sorry but the Coleridge poem is powerful and interesting but that Rush "poetry" is {censored}in miserable.

Coleridge concludes:

For he on honey-dew hath fed

And drunk the milk of Paradise.

Rush goes:

For I have dined on honeydew

For one thing, "fed" is so much better than "dined"-- the first indicates madness and wildness, the second suggests eating a veal cutlet with a napkin under your chin.

• Members
I just google the lyrics of that song, which is composed of misquotations of S. T. Coleridge. And I'm told
I
lack imagination. Good grief.

I'm sorry but the Coleridge poem is powerful and interesting but that Rush "poetry" is {censored}in miserable.

Coleridge concludes:

For he on honey-dew hath fed

Rush goes:

For I have dined on honeydew

For one thing, "fed" is so much better than "dined"-- the first indicates madness and wildness, the second suggests eating a veal cutlet with a napkin under your chin.

Please tell me you're kidding and not taking this so seriously. :rolleyes:

• Members

Please
tell me you're kidding and not taking this so seriously.
:rolleyes:

I'm sorry, who's taking it seriously? I don't write pop songs that are bad rearrangements of famous Romantic poems.

I'm just saying they suck, is all. Which is what this thread is about.

• Members

Their lyrics are sophmoric and poetic license was taken liberally, so what?

But, name 10 bassists better than Geddy, 10 drummers better than Peart and 10 guitarists beter than Lifeson. Then name 5 bands with top-10ers on every instrument and I will concur with you that they "suck"

• Members

Their lyrics are sophmoric and poetic license was taken liberally, so what?

But, name 10 bassists better than Geddy, 10 drummers better than Peart and 10 guitarists beter than Lifeson. Then name 5 bands with top-10ers on every instrument and I will concur with you that they "suck"

I'm sorry I got drawn into this. I know a lot of people around here adore Rush, and I respect that. I started out just saying their appeal is totally alien to me. I shouldn't have said they suck.

Maybe you and I judge music in different ways. For me, it's not about collating a lot of top-ten lists. I's about the total effect of a band or performer. It's probably that way for you too, but you just like "total effects" that I don't.

So I'm happy for everybody to like what they like, no matter how different from my tastes, really I am.

• Members

That's fine if you don't want to think through your comment that they suck..

Hey honestly, I can't stand any of their stuff after Spirit of the Radio / Moving Pictures, and everything before 2112 I can take or leave. For me it's all about their middle career

But to say "they suck" in a serious way (OP was tongue in cheek) is just foolish. They are among the best individual musicians ever to breathe oxygen

• Members

That's fine if you don't want to think through your comment that they suck..

I don't have to think through it because I hereby take it back and apologize for it.

But I will say this. Having technically accomplished musicians in a rock band is no guarantee that the rock band won't suck. In my opinion, of course.

• Members

The Who were all better individually.

I dont even think Rush were the best band from Canada let alone the world.

I can respect that.

Rush, The Who, Queen, Zep, and maybe Yes are IMO, among very few bands with the highest, top flight elite individual musicians in a full-time ensemble

• Members

who was queens drummer? or bassist for that matter?

Ill take Deep Purple over queen

I can respect that.

Rush, The Who, Queen, Zep, and
maybe
Yes are IMO, among very few bands with the highest, top flight elite individual musicians in a full-time ensemble

Archived