Rush 2112 sucks ass

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

... I'm just saying they suck, is all. Which is what this thread is about.

That's NOT what the thread is about. It was humor surrounding suspending one's disbelief about a guy finding a centuries-old guitar in a cave, and being able to play it; physically and skilfully. It was tongue-in-cheek hilarity done right ...

• Members

That's NOT what the thread is about. It was humor surrounding suspending one's disbelief about a guy finding a centuries-old guitar in a cave, and being able to play it; physically and skilfully. It was tongue-in-cheek hilarity done right ...

I'm a drummer and I totally buy it... I mean... How hard is it to strum 6 strings and make faces? I mean... Look at CC DeVille?! :p

Jack

• Members

Top 10 RUSH songs;

1.) Tom Sawyer

2.) Red Barchetta

3.) YYZ

4.) Digital Man

5.) Analog Kid

6.) Show Don't Tell

7.) Distant Early Warning

8.) Red Tide

9.) Countdown

10.) Spirit of Radio

Damn, I need more than 10! La Villa Strangiato, Red Lenses, Force Ten, Lock and Key, Turn the Page, Available Light, The Big Money, The Weapon, so many more!

Flame on...

• Members

Stay with me here.....now

Ayn Rand would totally agree with you.....

I love 2112 but I didn't listen to it for years and years until I read Anthem and thought I better give it a go....to bad Peart wasn't a Zamyatin fan because "We" would of been perfect for a Rush Album.

• Members

2112 was done when they didn't have a huge budget.....so, I'm sure it's not as refined as it could be. I think they did great for what they had to work with. Alex only used a Marshall, a 335, a Les Paul, and his effects (echoplex, wah, and maestro phaser). A Far Cry (pun intended) from all the equipment he would be using later on.

• Members

"2112" is the GREAT Issac Asimov Classic Rock Album.

"2112" would make a KILLER movie.....or a book !

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not but 2112 is based on the dystopian novel Anthem by Ayn Rand. Peart is a huge fan and Rush's label is Anthem Records. The song is actually pretty close to the novel in its layout.

We - Zamyatin

Brave New World - Huxley

Anthem - Rand

Bend Sinister - Nabokov

1984 - Orwell

all would be great concept albums

• Members

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not but 2112 is based on the dystopian novel Anthem by Ayn Rand. Peart is a huge fan and Rush's label is Anthem Records. The song is actually pretty close to the novel in its layout.

We - Zamyatin

Brave New World - Huxley

Anthem - Rand

Bend Sinister - Nabokov

1984 - Orwell

I've heard he's (thankfully) out grown the Rand phase of his life.

• Members

For me, Rush is one of the top 10 groups ever, and 2112 is the best song ever, by anyone. Number 2 is not even close. It describes a world, in the not too distant future with no art, no music, and people don't even know what a guitar is. If Rush isn't your thing, OK, diferent strokes, but if this song doesn't touch you, deep down in your soul, then what are you doing here?

• Members

We - Zamyatin

Brave New World - Huxley

Anthem - Rand

Bend Sinister - Nabokov

1984 - Orwell

Now you're talking...

Bend_Sinister.jpg

though not sure it's a concept album!

• Members

I still think the first minute of that album must have been a shocker to the record company: instead of Led Zep flavored hard rock songs about the working man, you got a solid minute of cold, icy outer space, atonal synthesizer thru a pretty harsh reverb effect with deep bass burbles.

It was like firing a shot across the bow. And a 20 minute suite about a guy finding a guitar when totalitarian society prohibits such? Yeah. Hard going for the what was the disco era but what an album! It still speaks to me today.'

It was my first exposure to Rush. Except, my friend played it for me and it was on 8-track and the story was out of order which gave it a weird episodic type flavor.

• Members

Rush = great band if you dont like don't like them don't listen it's always easy to criiticize others work. If you listen to them or any interviews of them they obviously don't take themselves to seriously. The've toured the world over and over too and played to i'm sure by now millions of people how many of us here can say that?

• Moderators
:lol:

Damn , dude if you start going through Progressive rock albums and picking their stories apart...well your going to have a lot of posts like this one!
;)

I feel that one is unique to this particular forum.....the idea that an HCEGer, cept maybe JJ, could pick up a guitar and start playing in seconds without months of deliberations on tuner choice, nut width, fretboard radius, pickups, caps, pots, strings and the lack of details about whether this guitar was on a stand, in a case or on a wall hanger, and where did the amp come from etc, and no one even mentioned effects or output leads etc........,

But if you point me to some more I'll do my best:)

• Members

Seems to be a sense of humour by-pass going on in this thread.

I could just about play the first 6 notes of the guitar part...

I think it's more amazing that the guitar is perfectly in tune as soon as he picks it up. Maybe it's a (near future) Gibson Firebird X acoustic with robot tuning.

• Members

I feel that one is unique to this particular forum.....the idea that an HCEGer, cept maybe JJ, could pick up a guitar and start playing in seconds without months of deliberations on tuner choice, nut width, fretboard radius, pickups, caps, pots, strings and the lack of details about whether this guitar was on a stand, in a case or on a wall hanger, and where did the amp come from etc, and no one even mentioned effects or output leads etc........,

But if you point me to some more I'll do my best:)

It's an acoustic isn't it (I gave my vinyl copy away to an ex 25 years ago). Maybe you should start this thread on HCAG?

Archived