Thin vs. Thick

caveman

• Members

I can't think of a single advantage that a thin pick has over a thick one. That being said, I used thin picks for close to 40 years before finding true enlightenment. Now in my senior years, I just can't remember why I so stubbornly stuck with the thin. :confused:

• Members

all thickness picks have different uses. i use a tortex 1.14 for most stuff. but if i want a sweet strumming sound, then the thinnest possible pick sounds nicest. picking lighter with a heavy pick is not the same. try it.

OTOH i can't imagine a situation where i'd need anything thicker than 1.14mm (depending on material). i'd quite like to try a 2mm nylon

• Members

I can't think of a single advantage that a thin pick has over a thick one. That being said, I used thin picks for close to 40 years before finding true enlightenment. Now in my senior years, I just can't remember why I so stubbornly stuck with the thin.
:confused:

The advantage is they sound different. For beginners they are much easier to use since they flex right over the string. But people who aren't still use them because of lower bass and different attack etc. I prefer picks that are sturdy and hard / glass-like, a lot of times I am just trying to get pack some of the sound of fingernails etc.

Oh yeah, to me tortex and gator grips suck, horrible sound. Don't feel good either.

• Members

I can't think of a single advantage that a thin pick has over a thick one.

Tone.

I used those small black Gibson picks that come in light, medium and heavy gauges for a long time, then switched to big ass dunlop picks (jazz something, i think it was) because they felt better but have now returned to the thinner picks because they give me a slightly more scooped tone, which i just like better atm.

• Members

Perfection,

02D-003F-000H7_129568143650547275y1agpXg

i could live quite happily with just those picks for the rest of my playing life

oddly, just after i read this thread my shipment of picks from Taiwan came through the post. i ordered 50 heavy fender celluloid and, annoyingly, they have sent me medium. which made me think - i do find medium gauges useless pretty much. ideally i'd use heavy picks about 90% of the time and really thin picks for the rest. i would complain but they were super cheap and i doubt i'd get an intelligible answer so they'll go in the emergency spares box

• Members

I to have used thin picks for well over 40 years. It depends on what you do. If you are primarily a soloist thick is good. But iff you mix solos with hybrid picking and strummed chords the way I do thin is the way to go. Clicking can be a problem but that's just something you have to work out between your amp tone and your own attack technique.

Archived