Pete Townshend

honeyiscool

• Members

Yes, it was. PT was indeed cautioned ... but not charged. There is a considerable difference ...

yes he is rather wealthy still..;)

IMO Pete was the low point of the Who; everyone else carried his ass. All his parts would have worked better with a really loud acoustic, he has no real aptitude at electric guitar.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He has some pretty sick leads when he wants to. I particularly like the opening to
Emminence Front

While I love playing the simple rhythm part of "Eminence Front," when he breaks into the lead line before the first verse, I can't touch it. I can get reasonably close, but it's very tricky. I just don't have his feel.

• Members

yes he is rather wealthy still..
;)

IMO Pete was the low point of the Who; everyone else carried his ass. All his parts would have worked better with a really loud acoustic, he has no real aptitude at electric guitar.

He does have an aptitude for bringing out the trolls though.

• Members

..... & Hendrix was the low point of The Experience, Jeff Beck the low point in the Yardbirds/Jeff Beck group..... this guy may be on to something!

• Members

yes he is rather wealthy still..
;)

wow, you know nothing about great song writing then..

lest start with whos next.. there are 2 epic songs on that lp.. and the rest are amazingly strong

or quad, or who are you, or even his solo effort all the best cowboys, or empty glass..pete was never considered a lead guitarist.. his solos last at most a 10 to 20 seconds. but his rhythm playing is some of the best i the business. if you have ever listened to the broken chords in quad.. those quick changes.. the off canter of the beat... carry pete? your allowed an opinion but... you first need to have some point of perspective.. his lead playing was never fantastic.. he played who leads,,, but his is one of the all time great song writers and is ability to play rhythm with in the song and not just hold down a freaking four count... but its falling on def ears.. what ever...

• Members

..... & Hendrix was the low point of The Experience, Jeff Beck the low point in the Yardbirds/Jeff Beck group..... this guy may be on to something!

My stated opinion extended only to Mr. Townsend, post some great Who lead work I am unaware of and I will reconsider.

Pete is not bereft of talent, he simply possessed much less of it than Moon and Entwistle, in my opinion. In addition there is reason to believe he has short eyes, which is distasteful to me.

If you're into windmill strumming and/or child sex, that's fine; to each their own.

• Members

I must disagree with some of the comments on Pete's leads. They always seems to be strongly rhythm based, regardless of melodic content, which I've always dug. His tight, compact, forceful lines don't usually exceed the requirements of the song, very tasteful, except on some longwinded live work. I especially love Pete's early pre-Tommy work, unique gems.

• Members

My stated opinion extended only to Mr. Townsend, post some great Who lead work I am unaware of and I will reconsider.

Pete is not bereft of talent, he simply possessed much less of it than Moon and Entwistle, in my opinion. In addition there is reason to believe he has short eyes, which is distasteful to me.

If you're into windmill strumming and/or child sex, that's fine; to each their own.

Post some clips of Eric Clapton using his pinky.

Everyone has a style. Most of what I posted in this thread is very refined and if you look at even his windmills, there's a science to the whole thing, as in he only does them when it is possible in the context of the song, which isn't all that often.

• Members

the way its told most often is

you have moon just thundering and crashing about like a mad man... in beat or on the side of the beat..

pete is ripping in to HUGE chords and stabbing rhythm and syncopations. and windmills..

daultry is swinging the mic about and doing the lead singer thing..

and the ox... is the anchor.. holding every one at bay... if john was not in the mix.. weaving the desperate parts together.. the whole thing would tumble like a house of cards... there is ox... sanding stock still.. fumble and thumbly amazing intricate bass lines.. getting the whole thing to work.. take away.. one element and its not the who..

it may be great.. but its not the who..

but with all that said i still think wire is a very valid who LP.. and has some really good stuff.. much better the the pop rock of its contemps.. no moon or ox though..

• Members

^^^

No ... just demonstrably not having given grounds for charges to be brought. Despite a technical breach of the law, THERE WAS NO CASE TO ANSWER. We ain't talking Gary Glitter here, remember?

Can we EVER have a thread on here about PT's music without having to wade through all this urban-myth bull{censored}? For what I hope is the last time: PT was never charged, never tried and never convicted.

you can shout NO all you like. I didnt raise the subject. All i pointed out was that if he received a police caution he must admit an offence. They are not allowed to deal with it as a caution otherwise. I know sweet FA about the case apart from that.

• Members

I love Pete Townsend's playing and I love (most) of the Who's albums. You are absolutely spot on about the intelligence inherent in his playing and composition. I really like the fact that he wasn't a typical widdly solo player... however, he really could solo well in his own way - see 'My Generation' on Live at Leeds.

• Members

I love Pete Townsend's playing and I love (most) of the Who's albums. You are absolutely spot on about the intelligence inherent in his playing and composition. I really like the fact that he wasn't a typical widdly solo player... however, he really could solo well in his own way - see 'My Generation' on Live at Leeds.

I do like his soloing, actually. I find it very interesting and refreshing. He comes up with really great chord combinations and neato riffs when he's soloing. I guess it's just weird to hear a classic rock guitarist who can't really nail the traditional blues solo, but I don't find it to be a limitation at all. I think in his case, it's a good thing.

• Members

nice analysis

I will go back to that for a long look later.

I like these kind of exercises because they debunk the commonly held belief that rock is musically uncomplicated.

And speaking of beliefs, you Monday morning lawyers might like consider how you would feel if uninformed judgemental gossip coloured any mention of your talents.

• Members

You know, I read the first page and then skipped what I'm sure is a bunch of back and forth nonsense dribble ( sorry if I missed something important). I will agree with CSM here that is an excellent insightful analysis, bravo!

• Members

The Who are near the top of my list as far as bands go. My dad used to listen to them all the time when I was growing up, and I listened to them a ton in high school (still do). Pete's guitar playing is quite good, and learning his stuff is helpful for any guitarist. They put out a ton of great albums, studio and live. Here are some favorites that I don't think are posted yet...

[video=youtube;awqEiIW7eyo]

[video=youtube;NgYudFmmOl4]

[video=youtube;bhtmzy5L4hw]

[video=youtube;y8b7f0ivzUo]

^^^

I never liked the Tommy album ... it sounded timid and tentative, like they were still working out the arrangements as they recorded it (which was, actually, the case). They played the songs about ten trillion times harder and more confidently after they'd been worked-in on the road -- check the Leeds, Woodstock or Isle Of Wight performances for verification of this claim ...

I love the Live at Leeds version of Tommy. I was stoked when they released the deluxe version of the album with all of Tommy intact.

• Members

For years I played original music and would listen to The Who just like any listener. But a few years ago I joined a cover band and learned Won't Get Fooled Again and Baba O'Reily. It was a revelation learning Townsend parts. You really have to play that stuff violently, there's no other way to do it. And Won't Get Fooled is like a cross between Chuck Berry and Beethoven.

• Members

I hear b-bender on there much clearer than the fully mixed recording. I knew he had a guitar or two equipped with them and that he messed with them, but had never heard it so clearly even though it's always been there. EF has been the ultimate in showing Pete's skill as a lead player and always makes me wonder why he didn't do more.

• Members

So, what's your take on Jimmy Page? Unlike Townshend, who has never been convicted, or even accused, of having sex with an underage person Page is known to have had an affair with a 14 year old girl.

Archived