Pete Townshend

honeyiscool

• Members

I remember riding in a car with my family on vacation and hearing the entirety of the last show of their farewell tour in 89. I was a Who fan from that day forth. I think I was about 8 years old. They really were the worlds greatest live band(sorry Zep Fans) in their day and I wish I had been born 2 or 3 decades earlier.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

One of my all time favorite guitarists, major influence on my decision to concentrate on rhythm guitar, my first love. Saw them the first time they set foot in America at a Brooklyn Paramount Murray The K show (this was just before independent rock tours) on the same bill as the newly emerging Cream & a number of other "acts"..... they each did two songs. As a side note, I was picked in Greenwich Village that night by the sister of the friend I was hanging out with & taken to this show as a surprise treat..... his sister was Laura Nyro (she'll be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame this coming April).

Also saw them soon after on their first independent U.S. tour at a Central Park skating rink concert right after the Monterey Festival.

• Members

Townshend was, usually, too relentlessly cynical for me. Too much of a chip on his shoulder, and a seeming resentment towards the Beatles, which I prefer to listen to if I need a smile put on my face. His writing is good, his guitar playing fine, but....

• Members

if he wasnt Pete Townshend -Rock Star he would be Pete Townshend- Author, Editor, Publisher...so saying hes "just another joe blow" doesnt cut it. He touched on pedophilia in other work so its believable to me he would be researching it for another work. seems pretty obvious really. If anything the opposite is true, go ask keef about how the people in power saw him as a threat and what they did to get rid of him. If the cops wanted to bust Pete they could have easily.

• Members

He has some pretty sick leads when he wants to. I particularly like the opening to Emminence Front. He is easily one of the best rhythm players out there.

I saw them live about 10 years or so ago. His playing was better than ever. He got better, and it seems Page got worse lol.

• Members

Perhaps I'm weird, but Quadrophenia was always my favorite. The lead-in (radio chatter) at the end of side one leading to the crashing initial flurry of "The Punk Meets the Godfather" is, to me, still one of the most articulate musical representations of youthful rage ever. Perhaps I'm influenced that it came out when I was a young teen in high school, and it seemed to almost perfectly speak to me at the time.

• Members

As a kid, I spent a couple of years listening to nothing but The Who and I think initially, I didn't really understand Pete's guitar playing so much, musically speaking. I mean, I loved his antics,
but he could never really solo like the other guys of the time period
. It's only now that I think he just didn't really bother to because honestly, the other guys, they are good, but anybody can play like them. Pete? Not so easy.

Anyone who says Pete can't solo has obviously never listened to this.

[video=youtube;cZtRedcmTIQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZtRedcmTIQ

• Members

He has some pretty sick leads when he wants to. I particularly like the opening to
Emminence Front
. He is easily one of the best rhythm players out there.

I saw them live about 10 years or so ago. His playing was better than ever. He got better, and it seems
Page got worse
lol.

hey now! Not quite fair as Page is more a family man these days, besides The Who crapped out recently-Superbowl Halftime?

But yeah I saw them right after JE died and Petes lead playing was really great.

• Members

Perhaps I'm weird, but Quadrophenia was always my favorite. The lead-in (radio chatter) at the end of side one leading to the crashing initial flurry of "The Punk Meets the Godfather" is, to me, still one of the most articulate musical representations of youthful rage ever. Perhaps I'm influenced that it came out when I was a young teen in high school, and it seemed to almost perfectly speak to me at the time.

I think that Quadrophenia is the greatest Who album also.

• Members

The intro to Baba O'Reily is probably the coolest application of a synthesizer to Rock and Roll. You've got all this busy complexity going on and then he just hits you with those I,IV,IV chords...fantastic creativity.

The story is that Pete Townshend was so shocked and amazed at Hendrix's playing when he came over to England that he decided right then and there that he'd never be a rock guitar god and that he'd better concentrate on writing if he wanted a competitive career. In that respect I think Hendrix did us all a favor.

He was always trying to do something grander, more theatric, and bigger than rock's roots. It's a very difficult goal. While Quadraphenia, Tommy, and Who's Next are fantastic rock albums, they're all kind of half-baked looking at then in terms of musical theater and opera which was the real primary goal.

• Members

How does that track refute anything I said?

His soloing is largely interesting because of the chords and things he's working into it. In the few instances he breaks into pentatonic wanking, he does it at a very manageable tempo and is quite unimpressive, although effective. He never breaks into fulll Jimmy Page or Eric Clapton.

• Members

Awesome OP. Pete can be a pompous ass, in print and from what I gather personally too. But his playing and writing has moments of real brilliance, and I don't mean 'for rock music', I mean period.

My fave is the version of "A Quick One" from the Kids Are Alright movie. It's got it all.

• Members

He has some pretty sick leads when he wants to. I particularly like the opening to
Emminence Front
. He is easily one of the best rhythm players out there.

I saw them live about 10 years or so ago. His playing was better than ever. He got better, and it seems Page got worse lol.

The intro for the 82 Toronto show was tasty.

[video=youtube;0-fw8ODRcG8]

• Members

I think he's one of the cleverest rhythm players in rock history. I have always been inspired by his furious style, and yet, he's never one-dimensional. If he only used the slashing riffs, it would get boring after awhile. But his playing ebbs and flows, builds and crescendos. He always uses contrasts to highlight the anger. He is a master of dynamics.

When I play his stuff, it's ham-handed compared with what he's doing. I play "Substitute" but without any of the interesting note choices he makes. Like honeyiscool alludes to, Pete will play something that sounds heavy but he'll decorate it with something else in the same phrase or chord. He's well worth studying.

Archived