The new Ibanez premium S's!

dres_x

• Members

Again guys the Premiums are made in a part of the Indo factory bought and operated seperatley in a joint venture by Hoshino and Fujigen, with the Japaneese craftsman training the workers and some of them staying behind to ensure the high level of quality..alot of JCustom features at a much better price...thats the whole idea behind the line.

And ill reiterate that the numerous straight up indo Ibbys ive had have all been good also...so idunno

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Again guys the Premiums are made in a part of the Indo factory bought and operated seperatley in a joint venture by Hoshino and Fujigen, with the Japaneese craftsman training the workers and some of them staying behind to ensure the high level of quality..alot of JCustom features at a much better price...thats the whole idea behind the line.

And ill reiterate that the numerous straight up indo Ibbys ive had have all been good also...so idunno

Didn't you get the memo? Indonesian people aren't actually physically capable of making a guitar as nice as Japanese people can.

Wait, that's a bit racist. Let me rephrase.

Indonesian CNC machines aren't capable of making a guitar as nice of CNC machines in Japan.

• Members

Didn't you get the memo? Indonesian people aren't actually physically capable of making a guitar as nice as Japanese people can.

Indonesian CNC machines aren't capable of making a guitar as nice of CNC machines in Japan.

I don't see how it's 'racist', but Indonesian products don't scream quality. Most instruments are made there for budget reasons and to hit a price point, not for the highly skilled workforce.

• Members

I don't see how it's 'racist', but Indonesian products don't scream quality. Most instruments are made there for budget reasons and to hit a price point, not for the highly skilled workforce.

I'm mainly referring to the fact that people are blatantly ignoring Ibanez' obvious efforts to ensure quality in their premium line simply because it's still MII. That said, I haven't noticed any issues with any MII Ibanez I've tried, other than the {censored} pickups. But that's a given, on any Ibanez that doesn't come stock with dimarzios.

• Members

All I'm saying is that you seem to have a fanatical hatred for the S which is fueled entirely by a top-mounted pickup selector.

I'm saying that you are whining an awful lot over someone else's opinion. You are acting like your child designed it.

But even more than that, you are just acting like a child.

• Members

I guess I know who to poke for a good time now...

Holy butt-hurt forumite, Batman.

Edit: Just to be on topic...

Indonesian CNC and Japanese CNC, both made in Taiwan.

Fit and finish is one thing, but playability out of the box is a crapshoot whenever the guitar in question has had to traverse half the globe to get to you. These Premiums are an attractive guitar for anybody who really doesn't care about country of origin or perhaps wants an upper mid-range priced guitar with some excellent appointments. My only real beef with them is that they're supposed to be J-Customs made in Indonesia, yeah? So where's the RG with the tree of life inlay? Really that inlay is all I want :(

• Members

I'm mainly referring to the fact that people are blatantly ignoring Ibanez' obvious efforts to ensure quality in their premium line simply because it's still MII. That said, I haven't noticed any issues with any MII Ibanez I've tried, other than the {censored} pickups. But that's a given, on any Ibanez that doesn't come stock with dimarzios.

If they want to ensure quality have them manufacture in a country that isn't known for making garbage. I don't mean this as an insult to folks in Indoneisia but that country isn't really known for producing top quality products.

If they (Ibanez) wanted to "ensure quality" they would be producing the guitars in Japan where they have for years. Moving production is a cost cutting move. Plain and simple. It's not about quality, it's about making a bigger profit. That's why most companies are in business but there is nothing noble about moving production to a cheaper labor force or anything that makes me think 'quality' when I see Made in Indonesia.

• Members

lol

• Members

If they want to ensure quality have them manufacture in a country that isn't known for making garbage. I don't mean this as an insult to folks in Indoneisia but that country isn't really known for producing top quality products.

If they (Ibanez) wanted to "ensure quality" they would be producing the guitars in Japan where they have for years. Moving production is a cost cutting move. Plain and simple. It's not about quality, it's about making a bigger profit. That's why most companies are in business but there is nothing noble about moving production to a cheaper labor force or anything that makes me think 'quality' when I see Made in Indonesia.

i hear ya but thats why a premium is 900 and a prestige is 1600...but at least you are getting some high end features for a better price with the premiums...thats all im saying

• Members
i hear ya but thats why a premium is 900 and a prestige is 1600...but at least you are getting some high end features for a better price with the premiums...thats all im saying

No, you're saying they are made to 'ensure quality' when in reality they're made to 'maximize profit' by using inferior materials and cut-rate labor. I don't own any Ibanez guitars. Aside from a George Benson I never have, but I have always thought of them as quality instruments. I guess in the past few years they've nose dived and wrecked the brand name in the same way that Fender has - by putting it on low end junk.

It's a shame. When I buy something that says 'Premium' I expect it to be the best the company has to offer not some low end garbage with a fancy decal. Then again, that's probably a 'racist' statement. :facepalm:

I would rather save the $1600 and buy the real deal. It's too bad companies don't realize when you have to save up to buy something there is something cool about when you buy it and love it that you lose when you can buy the same brand for low money.

Anyone who saved for their first Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, etc... back in the days before credit cards were maxed and brands were reduced to garbage will understand what I mean.

• Members
I would rather save the $1600 and buy the real deal. It's too bad companies don't realize when you have to save up to buy something there is something cool about when you buy it and love it that you lose when you can buy the same brand for low money.

Anyone who saved for their first Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, etc... back in the days before credit cards were maxed and brands were reduced to garbage will understand what I mean.

QFT

• Members

Since that's (and more so you're first post) obviously directed at my post......I'm going to make a suggestion to you.....

Go back and actually READ what I said..

I never talked about quality as an issue.

• Members

The only thing I can think of is that ugly switch plate! :LOL

I'm a maple neck lover, and this looks to be a very versatile "super strat" with a maple neck.

I really want that one, but premium ver :D

• Members

Ibanez has been making guitars in Indonesia for quite sometime. I had an early Jet King 2 that was made in Indo. One of the qualities that stood out about the guitar was that it had excellent fit and finish. I know one guitar does not make a trend, but I don't buy into the broad brush strokes that calm any guitar made in country X has to be crap.

Consider that a grain of salt.

• Members

Since that's (and more so you're first post) obviously directed at my post......I'm going to make a suggestion to you.....

Go back and actually READ what I said..

I never talked about quality as an issue.

My posts are obviously directed at BG. Y'know. The guy I've been quoting for most of them. :o

• Members
No, you're saying they are made to 'ensure quality' when in reality they're made to 'maximize profit' by using inferior materials and cut-rate labor. I don't own any Ibanez guitars. Aside from a George Benson I never have, but I have always thought of them as quality instruments. I guess in the past few years they've nose dived and wrecked the brand name in the same way that Fender has - by putting it on low end junk.

It's a shame. When I buy something that says 'Premium' I expect it to be the best the company has to offer not some low end garbage with a fancy decal. Then again, that's probably a 'racist' statement.
:facepalm:

I said that some of the Fujigen employes have stayed there to ensure quality...thats true, dont know what you mean by questiong that?? And to call these low end garbage is crazy man, thats a comment just made to start s**t. Ive had plenty of Gibsons and Fenders too, these days i PREFER Ibanez, not to knock Gibby or Fender but thats my preference, let me just say Gibbys are nice but the Blindness of the snobbery of some of their owners is amazing, i know cause i was one of them...and as far as the meterials..if you call American Basswood inferior...i dunno bro...I dont see why Ibanez is taking so much flack for offering something thats in between the middle of the road and high end...its not like they are labeling these as Prestige...if you wanna save up for a Prestige...more power to ya...dont see what the big to do is??

• Members

Looks like the 'the real deal' also comes with a case while the 'just as good as the real deal' Premium only comes with a gig bag, so that knocks $100 or so off of the price difference as well. I'm sure the Premiums are just fine instruments, I'm just not sure they're worth anywhere near $900, at least not to me. YMMV.

That being said, I think a lot of the Ibanez models (Prestige included) have gotten way too expensive over the last 10 years or so. 10 years ago you could get an RG550 (or RG1550, can't remember what year they changed the model number) for around $600 new, now they're charging over $1000 for essentially the same guitar. That is a pretty big price jump in a ten year period.

• Members

Korea used to be known for making garbage, and now they're considered the high end of imports. China used to be known for making garbage, and look how much they've improved.

My posts are obviously directed at BG. Y'know. The guy I've been quoting for most of them.
:o

Sorry, I don't think of Korea and China as 'Premium Quality'. Moving a few employees there won't help much either unless they move everyone.

Bottom Line - I was looking at an older 80s or 90s 540 with the Custom Made inlay (this should pin down the year) yesterday and it had a BIN of like 600.

I'll bet that guitar is light years better then Ibanez' 'premium' offerings.

Sad they killed the brand.

• Members

Sorry, I don't think of Korea and China as 'Premium Quality'. Moving a few employees there won't help much either unless they move everyone.

Bottom Line - I was looking at an older 80s or 90s 540 with the Custom Made inlay (this should pin down the year) yesterday and it had a BIN of like 600.

Try one of the Chinese Artcore Customs (AS103, etc). The quality is top notch and has beaten all other semi-hollow guitars I've played in terms of fit/finish/playability/everything!

• Members

Honestly, it sounds like it boils to you have a personal problem with your perspective. Ibanez still makes high end guitars in Japan. Their prestige line. Your issue seems to be with them labeling this particular product tier as "premium," which is just petty nit picking. Your little anecdote is meaningless, anyway. What does the price of a single used instrument have to do with anything? Especially when it's a given that Ibanez resale value is {censored}, at least compared to an upscale Gibson or something. And I'm still willing to bet you haven't even had your hands on one of these Premium series guitars.

Archived