The new Ibanez premium S's!

dres_x

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Would love to see them ditch the pickup selector plate, but still a sweet a looking axe!

Exactly...'how to make any guitar look cheap' in one quick move.

Not only that, but the output jack is ridiculous too - not as bad as that pickup switch housing but my lord...that is poor design.

• Members

Exactly...'how to make any guitar look cheap' in one quick move.

Not only that, but the output jack is ridiculous too - not as bad as that pickup switch housing but my lord...that is poor design.

The switch housing is because the body at that point is so thin they top-load the switch, something Ibanez has been doing since (or since before) the S-Classic series. Only way to do it-

• Members
The pickups amplify the acoustic tone of your guitar. If it sounds thin unplugged it will sound thin plugged in. I'm not saying they sound bad, but tonally compare it to a les paul. Same amp, same settings and the LP will sound like a MONSTER next to the Ibanez. The ibanez will sound like a toy.

Uh, I've got a Les Paul (pre-'08 '08 Standard) and an '89 S540LTD. You're pathetically misinformed.

• Members

The switch housing is because the body at that point is so thin they top-load the switch, something Ibanez has been doing since (or since before) the S-Classic series. Only way to do it-

It doesn't matter how long they've been doing it or what the reason is. It is ugly and CHEAP looking. They should 'innovate' another way to do it. The first time I saw the housing like that was on a $60 Simon guitar that was made out of sawdust & glue.

• Members

The pickups amplify the acoustic tone of your guitar. If it sounds thin unplugged it will sound thin plugged in. I'm not saying they sound bad, but tonally compare it to a les paul. Same amp, same settings and the LP will sound like a MONSTER next to the Ibanez. The ibanez will sound like a toy.

No they don't. Pickups convert disturbances to their magnetic flux lines into a signal which is sent to your amp. The body of a guitar most certainly has an effect on the way in which the strings vibrate, causing variation in disturbance to those magnetic flux lines....which accounts for why you can get two guitars of the same model that don't have the same life....but they don't amplify the acoustic tone of your guitar.

As for the guitars they are nice...but MII is a deal breaker for me personally.

• Members
It doesn't matter how long they've been doing it or what the reason is. It is ugly and CHEAP looking. They should 'innovate' another way to do it. The first time I saw the housing like that was on a $60 Simon guitar that was made out of sawdust & glue.

If your first time seeing a switch like that was on an S would that have made it ok?

• Members

The only pointy Ibanez which even remotely appealed was the RGA32. Cheap, oiled mahogany and decent spec. And most important-no stupid locking trem! The skinny necks and giant beginners frets never worked for me-felt like playing a ladder.

• Members

Just saying..if the only reason you dismiss these guitars is due to the MII origins, your short changing yourselves.

you're entitled to your opinion, and to spend your money as you see fit....I don't want to support sweatshop labor, and that's more than enough reason for me. I'd be short changing my principles if I did otherwise.

• Members

you're entitled to your opinion, and to spend your money as you see fit....I don't want to support sweatshop labor, and that's more than enough reason for me. I'd be short changing my principles if I did otherwise.

You're assuming 'sweatshop' labour is used to build them. Do you have any evidence to support your assertion?

• Members

You're assuming 'sweatshop' labour is used to build them. Do you have any evidence to support your assertion?

Yep, I am. Why wouldn't I? I know about general labor practices in Indonesia. And I know there is a FAR greater chance that they are running a sweatshop than not. So I choose not to take the risk that I might be supporting it. Especially since the guitar industry is one where it's easy to NOT support that kind of thing.

If Ibanez is somehow policing it's contracted factories in Indonesia to pay decent living wages, having good standards of safety, having proper shift times, and not using quota systems, then good for them. That would be fantastic and I would respect that.

But if I can't know for sure because nobody is ever allowed in to monitor those kinds of factories in countries like that. So it's easier for me to choose to buy made in Japan where I know workers have established good conditions.

• Members

im talking from a quality standpoint....i have no information regarding sweatshop conditions.

and im guessing you all dont have ipads or iphones, cause apple has been accused of sweatshop practices overseas too....again none of wich i have any info on.

this thread has derailed...we were talking about awesome Ibby's.

• Members
  • Members

im talking from a quality standpoint....i have no information regarding sweatshop conditions.

and im guessing you all dont have ipads or iphones, cause apple has been accused of sweatshop practices overseas too....again none of wich i have any info on.

this thread has derailed...we were talking about awesome Ibby's.

you're the one who pressed the issue, by passively responding to my post. I simply said MII is an issue for ME...no matter how good the quality may or may not be. You can do whatever you want.

And just because people may own some sweatshop stuff doesn't mean they can't try to avoid it when possible. It's not an all or nothing game.

• Members

you're the one who pressed the issue, by passively responding to my post. I simply said MII is an issue for ME...no matter how good the quality may or may not be. You can do whatever you want.

And just because people may own some sweatshop stuff doesn't mean they can't try to avoid it when possible. It's not an all or nothing game.

Look whatever i never mentioned the sweatshop stuff...i was clarifying MY opinoin just like you....i like to talk about guitars...you know ELECTRIC GUITARS this is a Guitar forum...thats all.

man this place is getting to be no fun to be around...

• Members

If your first time seeing a switch like that was on an S would that have made it ok?

No, cheap is cheap any way you slice it. The point is that it seems that they adopted it from a model so cheap that they couldn't spend the time figuring out a way to do it cleanly and had to hide it under a hunk of crap.

• Members

No, cheap is cheap any way you slice it. The point is that it seems that they adopted it from a model so cheap that they couldn't spend the time figuring out a way to do it cleanly and had to hide it under a hunk of crap.

Actually, if you'd ever taken one apart, you'd see it's got a double post to hold the housing in place, along with screws to mount it to the body. It also requires some complex maching on the body to mount it. Considering how sturdy and replaceable it is, I'd consider it an upgrade to the 'slot in the body' Fender style, but aesthetics are always subjective.

• Members

Actually, if you'd ever taken one apart, you'd see it's got a double post to hold the housing in place, along with screws to mount it to the body. It also requires some complex maching on the body to mount it. Considering how sturdy and replaceable it is, I'd consider it an upgrade to the 'slot in the body' Fender style, but aesthetics are always subjective.

larry, it is all aesthetics in this case as I certainly wasn't referring to the construction and just in how cheap it looks.

Archived