Pink Paisley an Blue Flower MIJ Reissues

Flux Capacitor

• Members

you mean one of these little bad boys?

fenderfamily2.jpg

heres what it sounds like through a JCM 800

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=7064072&q=hi&newref=1

I've had mine forever and it has Jerry Donahue pups... Not sure there value right now its a buyers market.... Id say if its in excellent condition maybe $750 check ebay and see what theyre fetching... I would do the trade if it plays good. I had a 50 cal and I thought it was ok... mine was the 50 cal plus and it was a head.. I think I got $800 for it 2 years ago

• Members

Thanks, fellows. The guy says that the Blue one is in almost perfect condition and has been upgraded with American Standard pickups and a Barden Compensated Bridge. He says the pink one is older and has some nicks.

Any thoughts on the replacement parts? Also, when were the Paisleys made? From what I've seen on the Internet, it looks like they were made in the late 60's, 1985 and 2008. Is this true? If the guitar he says is "older" turns out to be a 1985, should I take it over the 2008 even if it's a little nicked up?

• Members

Now he says the the pink one is considerably older. What should I do?

as with ANY vinatage guitar you must take steps to verifiy its age.

Check the neck date, & check the pot date codes at the very least.. if its a late 60s then you hit the jackpot.

even if its only mid 80s its still worth about the same as the mesa... the 2008 IMHO would require a little boot on his part..

• Members

Thanks, fellows. The guy says that the Blue one is in almost perfect condition and has been upgraded with American Standard pickups and a Barden Compensated Bridge. He says the pink one is older and has some nicks.

Any thoughts on the replacement parts? Also, when were the Paisleys made? From what I've seen on the Internet, it looks like they were made in the late 60's, 1985 and 2008. Is this true? If the guitar he says is "older" turns out to be a 1985, should I take it over the 2008 even if it's a little nicked up?

The original Japanese RI models were sold in the US/Canada from the late '80's into the early '90's. They were dropped with the rest of the Japanese RI line when Fender all be completely replaced the line with the Mexican RI's by the mid '90's (there are no MIM Paisley/Flower models, so like several other models it was dropped completely).

They were still made and available in Asia and Fender did order and distribute bunch in the US in 2008. People who have compared both seem to think the finish wasn't as good in the recent ones compared to the ealrier '80's/'90's models. I'm sure you can find a comparison.

I doubt it's a '68 model, it seems the guy knows what he has.

• Members

They reissued them around 2002 and in 2008. I bought the tele BF in 2003 and the strat PP in 2008. I much preferred the tele for the sustain and the excellent pups. The strat took a lot of work to get it perfect. I didn't like the vintage pups so I replaced them with GFS grey bottoms. Replaced the saddles with Callaham stuff. I put Onyx Forge inserts in the neck due to strippage. I rolled the treble side of the fretboard and put an American 5 way in. Now, it's great and has the pink paisly finish which is why I bought it.

The tele really needed nothing. It plays amazing and sustains forever.

• Members

Thanks, fellows. The guy says that the Blue one is in almost perfect condition and has been
upgraded with American Standard pickups
and a Barden Compensated Bridge. He says the pink one is older and has some nicks.

?

its debatable but some would say thats a downgrade.

• Members

The Barden bridge is a high quality piece and the MIJ RIs are known for, sometimes, not having the best electroincs, so the Am Std pups might have been an upgrade.

In 1985, the MIJ guitars were the best thing Fender was selling, but the US products quickly caught up starting in '86. I don't think we see too many of the 2008 versions here because Fender hasn't been importing MIJ products to the US for a while. They were available from international sellers, but they weren't hanging in stores here. I'm betting they're '02 models and it was those middle-era MIJ guitars that got a rap for so-so electronics, small pots, unremarkable pups. I think I would want the guy to throw in at least $100. Those guitars may have been selling for $8-900 2 years ago, but I bet they wouldn't sell for over $600 today.

Just my 2 cents.

D

• Members

I still kick myself that I didn't buy one when they were in the stores. IIRC, Guitar Showcase in San Jose had one of the teles they were blowing out (this was in the 00-02 timeframe, I think) for about $400, and I just never took the plunge.

Archived