What's everyone's opinions on Dean Guitars?

awd83

• Members

I know they get a lot of crap for their cheap junk, but what do people think of their mid-level up to their USA lines? I've owned 2, a Hardtail Select and a Soltero Standard, both well made, set neck, mahogany/maple cap from the the $600 range, and I love them.

What do you guys think, if you ignored their 1,000,001 Dime versions and the thoughts of metal heads with $199 pointy things flailing away in GC?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I had one (I think it was called the Cadillac) back in the early 90s. Looked kind of stupid (LP meets Explorer) but it was a fantastic guitar. Made in America.

I have only seen the garbage they sell now. Couple that with the fact that Dean Zelinsky doesn't want anything to do with them and draw your own conclusions.

• Members

I bought five low and mid priced Deans between 2000 and 2009. All of them were good quality considering the price. Most of them also had a few very minor things wrong with them from the factory. The fretwork in particular wasn't great.

• Members

I bought five low and mid priced Deans between 2000 and 2009. All of them were good quality considering the price. Most of them also had a few very minor things wrong with them from the factory. The fretwork in particular wasn't great.

My experience has been that the fretwork is the best part of the two I've had. I agree that the Soltero had minor stuff wrong, but mostly cosmetic - like a spot of black under the clearcoat. My hardtail is flawless. Playability on both was superb.

The only reason I ask is because a while back, some on the Dean forum were talking about why they get such a bad rep. Most of it hinged on the really low-end stuff and all of the Dime models. I was curious what a better cross-section of the guitar playing public like here on HCEG thought.

• Members

Had a Dean doubleneck at one point. Great rock guitar with the 6-string neck being one of the best necks I've had. Unfortunately it was a real boat anchor so it had to go but otherwise it didn't have any flaws, even the stock pickups were pretty good.

Hate the all the Dimebag crap though.

• Members

UGLY headstock, STUPID shapes, IDIOTIC paint schemes......pretty much sums up my thoughts.

That's the kind of stereotypical response I expected and for good reason, but that doesn't apply to all of their designs.

• Members

My experience has been that the fretwork is the best part of the two I've had. I agree that the Soltero had minor stuff wrong, but mostly cosmetic - like a spot of black under the clearcoat. My hardtail is flawless. Playability on both was superb.

I think the big thing is that their quality control is really hit and miss. They'll have a run with good frets but bad paint, then good paint but bad wiring, great sounding pickups but the nuts are bad, etc.

• Members

I'm in the minority -- I've always loved the big V headstocks. When they narrowed the headstock sometime in the 80s and made it into a sort of arrow point, it wasn't half as interesting.

I liked the old Vs and Zs and Cadillacs. I don't care for the MLs or the Dimes, although I'm sure some of them are really good guitars. I think the Dime models are the double-wide trailer trash of guitars.

• Members

Nothing I personally would want to own, given my own tastes, but objectively speaking I've always been impressed by their quality. Whether I lik it or not, I love to see difference in the market, too. If I was into the LP style, I'd check out one of the above models. Those and ESP - I like how they both produce a very traditional guitar in an LP veing but with design quirks that immediately set it apart as its on thing rather than a mere copy.

• Members

The USA guitars are great and include your typical double cut and single cuts as well as the V, Z, Caddy and MLs (which I think is the worst shape ever for a guitar). It's a shame that the import stuff on the walls of major guitar retailers and reliance on Darrel Abbot are all folks seem to be what folks know about the company. It reminds me of how BC Rich was only a USA guitar company and was mucked down by introducing a bad import line back in the 80s. Dean Z sold the company back in the mid 80s and came back with the current owner ship (which took over in the late 90s) for a few years before they parted company. Seems that the DBZ folks have somehow managed to remove him from that company as well. I've met the man several times and he was always a pretty pleasant guy, I wish him nothing but the best.

I'm not a big single cut fan, but had a Hardtail Select and still have a USA Hardtail - great guitars for the money.

The USA in action

Picture022.jpg

• Members

I owned a Dean V once, and my tech was also a dealer for a while. They were solid, you get what you pay for at the price range. It was Dime-fever that got the interest up, but in the end, they are just mostly over-embellished, mid-price, reasonable quality guitars.

Kinda meh, really :confused:

• Members

I've played a number of them. Never been a fan, personally, though I don't have any huge reason for it. The headstocks are bleh, their aesthetics don't appeal to me that much. The ones I played, mostly mid-range models, just didn't mesh with me the way Schecter, BC Rich, LTD, or other guitars in that price range did.

• Members

The USA guitars are great and include your typical double cut and single cuts as well as the V, Z, Caddy and MLs (which I think is the worst shape ever for a guitar). It's a shame that the import stuff on the walls of major guitar retailers and reliance on Darrel Abbot are all folks seem to be what folks know about the company. It reminds me of how BC Rich was only a USA guitar company and was mucked down by introducing a bad import line back in the 80s. Dean Z sold the company back in the mid 80s and came back with the current owner ship (which took over in the late 90s) for a few years before they parted company. Seems that the DBZ folks have somehow managed to remove him from that company as well. I've met the man several times and he was always a pretty pleasant guy, I wish him nothing but the best.

I'm not a big single cut fan, but had a Hardtail Select and still have a USA Hardtail - great guitars for the money.

The USA in action

Picture022.jpg

now that looks nice!!

Archived