What's everyone's opinions on Dean Guitars?

awd83

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Cadillacs are amazing-looking.

My first electric was a Dean Avalanche One, Strat-style with 3+3 headstock. I still love playing on that thing. Only problem is that I somehow have managed to crack the wood where the bridge sits, so it won't intonate properly. It has one minor cosmetic flaw. Looks like they wet sanded a bit too much on the upper horn. Great guitar none the less. If it hadn't been for the crack messing up the intonation, it would probably have been my #2.

I also own one of those double-cutaway acoustics. Not crazy about the cutaways, but I remember thinking they were really cool when I bought it. I was 13. The guitar both plays and sounds great, though. Still play it almost every day, and when I have my acoustic-periods, like I've had for the last couple of weeks, it get's played for three to four hours a day.

• Members

I think Dean make some nice, perhaps even some very nice guitars and they make some not so nice guitars but so do most mfrs. I presently own a Dean Boca (12 string) that I've converted to a 6 string so I can get the wide neck. It looks great and is a pretty decent guitar. Is it a Godin Signature Series? No, but it's much better than the $280.00 I paid for it.

DEANBOCA-12STRING.jpg

• Members

I used to sell the mid-priced ones when I managed a music store. Evos, Bocas, etc. They were solid guitars for the money I thought. I actually liked their basses too (Edge series). An old girlfriend owned an old MIA Dean V. Sweet guitar, but I've never gotten over the headstocks.

• Members

I think the USA made and Czech made (discontinued a few years back) were awesome guitars.

I wish I could have gotten one of the Czech EVO Premiums when they were being closed out. Easily on par with a lot of MIJ guitars.

The MIK, MII, MIC etc.. I don't like at all.

I think companies like Fernandes, LTD (ESP), Schecter Diamond, Agile, Michael Kelly put out a better product.

• Members
The head stock is what turns me off but I can easily change the look of the head stock myself, so if I wanted one of those guitars, the big V wouldn't stop me.

For me i associate the big V headstock with my youth. The Cars, Randy Rhoads, Rik Emmett, etc. It's based of an early Gibo design. The problem to me is what Elliot/Armadillo did with flooding the market with crap budget stuff.

• Members

For me i associate the big V headstock with my youth. The Cars, Randy Rhoads, Rik Emmett, etc. It's based of an early Gibo design. The problem to me is what Elliot/Armadillo did with flooding the market with crap budget stuff.

Actually, it's not the look of the head stock that would make me change it, but rather the extra weight as it might contribute to neck dive, at least on my guitars.

• Members

I don't get any neck dive with my Cadillac; it's actually very nicely balanced. I also like how the long lower bout puts a bit of weight below the strings and just ahead of where I'm picking, unlike many guitars where it feels like most of the weight is centered around and behind the bridge. It makes the guitar feel nice and stable without being too heavy, which is good for me because I tend to be a little heavy-handed in my rhythm playing and a lot of my guitars tend to bounce around a lot when I'm doing aggressive palm muting stuff.

• Members

I don't get any neck dive with my Cadillac; it's actually very nicely balanced. I also like how the long lower bout puts a bit of weight below the strings and just ahead of where I'm picking, unlike many guitars where it feels like most of the weight is centered around and behind the bridge. It makes the guitar feel nice and stable without being too heavy, which is good for me because I tend to be a little heavy-handed in my rhythm playing and a lot of my guitars tend to bounce around a lot when I'm doing aggressive palm muting stuff.

Now, that's interesting about the balancing that you mention. You've just made me determined to try one out.

• Members

I picked up a deceiver a few months ago and threw in a set of EMG85's in it. I'm thinking that an 81 in the bridge would be better for what I was trying to do with it, but the damn thing never goes out of tune one bit and the fretwork is flawless. Plays like a dream. I think that it's MIK if memory serves correctly. For the price I paid I don't think that you are going to find a guitar that delivers much more.

And I hate the old v headstock and crap. This actually looks aggressively dignified somehow.

• Members

How would you say your Cadillac stands up to a Les Paul Custom as far as sound goes?

• Members

How would you say your Cadillac stands up to a Les Paul Custom as far as sound goes?

To my ears it sounds better, because the tone isn't being drowned out by someone shouting, "Hey! Get your grubby paws off of my $4,000 guitar!"

Archived