If you have $199 to spend, you NEED to get this. (Demo)

honeyiscool

• Members

Passions seem to run just as strong on either side of the PC/Mac divide. It has always amazed me. They're just computers.

heresey!!!!!.

devices are a lifestyle statement like a Starbucks coffee cup.

tough times.

how to balance my iPAd, iPhone, coffee cup, etc in only two hands while talking, texting, tweeting and posting on the subway???

I am glad I am not hip.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

iPAd, iPhone, coffee cup, etc in only two hands while talking, texting, tweeting and posting on the subway???

I am glad I am not hip.

Ipad is a large Iphone...... kinda redundant to carry. i'm sure some do.

• Members

I have an H2. I also have a Q3HD. They don't have anywhere near the same sound quality. I wouldn't even say that they're not even in the same ballpark. They're not even playing the same sport. I know these things are subjective but I know what I can hear. The only thing they have on the Apogee in terms of audio is that they're in stereo, but stereo has limited use in multitracking situation. The Apogee MiC is closer to a nice studio microphone than a portable recorder.

Do you want an A/B comparison? I can easily make one for you. I got nothing to hide and I'm actually a big fan of Zoom recorders, I have three of them and I've made several threads demonstrating
their
sound quality as well. My band demos are recorded on a Zoom R16. But their built-in mics are not Apogee quality.

Maybe it's just the operator then? Your demo went downhill pretty quickly the second you flipped on the dirt.

Edit: I suppose it could be the fact you're recording a Peavey Envoy too...

• Members

thank you for the review, honeyiscool. i appreciate it. also, this thread has reminded me why i've considered putting RavenCad on my ignore list. and its confirmed my decision.

Sniff sniff, I'm crying on the inside..

• Members

Passions seem to run just as strong on either side of the PC/Mac divide. It has always amazed me. They're just computers.

I think it's more that the "other side" is tired of hearing/ reading the same inaccurate stuff. I've steered a lot of people away from Apple because they didn't know what they were actually purchasing (more in the PPC days, truthfully). Of course, I've steered a couple in that direction, too. It's all about what you actually want, and most folks aren't tech savvy enough to know.

• Members

OK, I have now officially watched all of the video.. I tried earlier but kept getting interrupted. I don't see the big deal about the mic. Yeah, it's a mic and it worked as expected. For $200, even if it wasn't just for Macs, I would expect better clarity. Neat that it plugs into an ipad, so you can record on the go and all that, but... For $200? There are better solutions to this problem.

• Members

OK, I have now officially watched all of the video.. I tried earlier but kept getting interrupted. I don't see the big deal about the mic. Yeah, it's a mic and it worked as expected. For $200, even if it wasn't just for Macs, I would expect better clarity. Neat that it plugs into an ipad, so you can record on the go and all that, but... For $200? There are better solutions to this problem.

Shhhhh....... there is only one way. Worship the cult of Mac. It is calling you. Like Carvins. It is strong. Like Bull. Like large Russian woman.

• Members

Really? There are cheaper mics that capture better clarity? Like what? An SM57? That does a lot of things well, but clarity wouldn't be the first word that I think of. It's certainly got more clarity from the raw mic output than my trusty Sennheiser e906. Of course, a large part of that's due to having a condenser vs. a dynamic, but an e906 is a pretty damn good dynamic, and it costs $189. If you mean modeling, well, that's a different paradigm altogether, and good for you if it works, but I just don't like it as much.

I mean, I haven't even touched an EQ or any effect yet. This wouldn't go on a record like that.

• Members

I might say a sm57 is a better bang for the 99$ even with having to spend 99$ more for an interface. You can argue which mic is better to your hearts content (I have no idea why you guys love 57's so much, but whatever, lots of people do) but the simple truth is with an interface and a mic, you have more options. two is always better than one, inputs especially., and latency.

• Members

$99 interfaces, though...

And RaVenCAD only buys American so good luck with that one.

That said, I think if I had only one kind of microphone, and I was running a project out of my bedroom, I'd opt for a small condenser over any other kind of mic. I can't think of anything else that sounds so usable on so many different sources.

• Members

I meant that the current version of iTunes won't install, nor will the current versions Opera, Chrome or Flash. There is no "older" version of driver or software for the THR5.

Apparently I am. It may or may not be representative of Apple's future actions, but let's just say I have not gone out and purchased one of those new minis ...

Not a Core 2?

I have been working in IT for pushing 25 years now. Apples's hardware is premium gear. There is PC hardware as good, but in general, PC's are disposable trash. Unfortunately, with PC's, people get hung up on the specs and don't look at the build quality, components, etc. There are tons of really nice PC's out there, but you really have to know what to look for. The only way I run PC's now is when I build them. Then, they are always dual boot with Linux of some flavor because of my inherent distrust of Windows, although Win 7 64 has been rock solid.

On this mic? Meh. I get why HIC would dig it, but, something like this is far more useful long term. I just can't get behind a mic with a iThing only end on it, and I am 100% mac stuff at home. I'd rather have XLR or USB.

I owned an Alesis IODock briefly. It worked fine, but was so noisy it was unusable.

• Members

Haha.

Really? There are cheaper mics that capture better clarity? Like what? An SM57? That does a lot of things well, but clarity wouldn't be the first word that I think of. It's certainly got more clarity from the raw mic output than my trusty Sennheiser e906. Of course, a large part of that's due to having a condenser vs. a dynamic, but an e906 is a pretty damn good dynamic, and it costs $189. If you mean modeling, well, that's a different paradigm altogether, and good for you if it works, but I just don't like it as much.

I mean, I haven't even touched an EQ or any effect yet. This wouldn't go on a record like that.

Honestly, just because you are super young and so you won't waste your time like I did, debating mics is like debating strings, computer platforms, etc. It's better to give your opinions and why you like it than try to convince someone, cause when it comes right down to it, unless they can use it, they are not gonna be on board with it. If you follow this snippet, I probably just saved you at least three weeks of your life overall. Now if I can just get myself to do as I say not as I do :)

Enough about this! I want more videos of you playing cool music with those adorable chicks!

• Members

Not a Core 2?

I have been working in IT for pushing 25 years now. Apples's hardware is premium gear. There is PC hardware as good, but in general, PC's are disposable trash. Unfortunately, with PC's, people get hung up on the specs and don't look at the build quality, components, etc. There are tons of really nice PC's out there, but you really have to know what to look for. The only way I run PC's now is when I build them. Then, they are always dual boot with Linux of some flavor because of my inherent distrust of Windows, although Win 7 64 has been rock solid.

No, it's an original Mac mini. I guess it was called a PowerPC platform. It wouldn't even run Ubuntu (10.10) for PPC well. I only use home-built PCs as well (other than my notebooks), and more often than not they are multi-boot systems. I don't even care that they are "disposable"; I can generally get four productive years out of a sub $500 system, so I don't care when they reach the end of their productive lives. I only have one system with Windows 7 installed and that's usually operating in Linux mode, but all of my other systems (which are running XP or Vista) can play back 1080p video, do multitrack recording with Audacity, support my USB-to-midi interface, my Yamaha THR5 amp, and perform iTunes syncs with my iPad ...

• Members
On this mic? Meh. I get why HIC would dig it, but, something like
is far more useful long term. I just can't get behind a mic with a iThing only end on it, and I am 100% mac stuff at home. I'd rather have XLR or USB.

I owned an Alesis IODock briefly. It worked fine, but was so noisy it was unusable.

Well, if you think something made by Alesis was unusable, why do you think Griffin would do a better job? I think you missed something here. The Apogee MiC can be plugged into an iPhone/iPod or a Mac, there are two cables in the box, one for USB and one for the Dock connector.

• Members

What is the point of comparing a condenser mic to a dynamic mic? A dynamic mic can take a lot of sound pressure and works for close miking an amp. A condenser mic can't take high sound pressure and works better for distance miking.

If you compared most condenser mic's to a dynamic mic, the condenser will typically perform better in the higher frequencies. That's typical because of the difference in the design and it is NOT a function of quality of one mic vs another.

If I was looking to spend $199 on a condenser mic right now, I think I'd get a Sterling Audio ST55. The way to tell how well the iMic performs is to compare it head-to-head against other condenser mic's. But, it's a little tough to get a fair comparison when most mic's need an interface which plays a part in the sound as well.

• Members
Honestly, just because you are super young and so you won't waste your time like I did, debating mics is like debating strings, computer platforms, etc. It's better to give your opinions and why you like it than try to convince someone, cause when it comes right down to it, unless they can use it, they are not gonna be on board with it. If you follow this snippet, I probably just saved you at least three weeks of your life overall. Now if I can jus get myself to do as I sa not as I do
:)

Enough about this! I want more videos of you playing cool music with those adorable chicks!

Well, yeah, it's just that people here are acting like $199 is a large amount to be spending for a self-powered microphone. There are people on the Internet doing shootouts of the Apogee MiC vs. $3000 Neumann mics, and then there are people here acting like $199 should be able to give them absolute sonic nirvana because it's some large amount.

• Members

there are people here acting like $199 should be able to give them absolute sonic nirvana because it's some large amount.

I'm glad you have so much disposable income, but even with a bank account large enough to buy a luxury automobile I still think 199$ is a lot of money to spend goofing around in the bedroom. Unless she's blonde.

Archived