30 watt or less amp recommendations

venturehead

• Members

I play mostly classic rock and blues through a Mesa F-50. Great amp, versatile and wonderful classic tone, but simply too big/loud for some venues. So I've been looking for something with a little lower output and have been bouncing back and forth between a VOX AC15 and a Peavey Delta Blues. I've played through the Vox, and love the tone, but lack of 2 separate channels is a negative, though I suppose I could use an overdrive pedal. I haven't had a chance to play a Delta Blues, but am hearing great things, and I like what I've heard on YouTube. I bought a Peavey ValveKing about a year ago, and it just isn't working for me. OK in practice and the bedroom, but the tone wasn't working for me at gigs.

I'm looking to spend about $400.

Any thoughts or recommendations? I play everything from Rockabilly, British Invasion, 60s style Garage to heavy blues rock and 70's style hard rock.

Thanks

• Members

Egnater Rebel 30 combo. Has an attenuator that will take it down to 1 watt, 2 channels and nice reverb.

Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue, 15 watts. Just a great all around amp and loud enough for small venues.

• Members

I own a Peavey Delta Blues and really like it. Another option is the Peavey Classic 30 - which is the same 'amp' section as the Delta Blues but without the Trem and with a 12" speaker. And about 10 lbs lighter.

I have heard good things about the Egnator Rebel as well - and I'm guessing that used it might drop down to your price range.

• Members

I just bought a Crate v32 Palominio which is 30 watts and I love it. I had a classic 30 a few years ago and the crate is far better better IMO. I don't know how muh quieter than you f-50 it would be though since it's 30watts class A and therefore is extremely loud. That being said both the clean and distortion are amazing and can't be beat for the price. I paid $360 after tax and shipping. I was also looking at a Vox ac15 before I got the crate and i didn't like the lack of headroom and channels. The Crate has a distortion channel and a clean that has plenty of headroom.

• Members

I was going to say Meas f-30 till I read what you were using. Not sure you would see enough of a difference given that the f-30 is quite loud.

Might want to narrow it down to 15the watt or less. Vox ac15

• Members

The VOX might surprise you when you get more juice cranking through it. It takes a little tweaking to get extra drive and not quite as much treble. The non-top boost channel is not nearly as bright sounding. Even when I've played with amp models through my Line 6 POD, I often find myself liking the VOX models. I haven't had my AC15C at a gig yet, but have really liked the tone. I tend to stay away from very high gain and that is something the VOX by itself does not really do.

I have gigged with a Blues Jr. and it breaks up very nicely at higher volumes.

I think the VOX AC15C has more tonal range than a Blues Jr., but the Blues Jr. is smaller and lighter in weight. Both pack a lot of punch.

• Members

Serious question: Why don't you just turn the volume down on the F-50?

Fair question-the f-50 at low volume on the overdrive channel, not the clean channel, the tone becomes very tinny. There's a sweet spot at about 9:30 that the great tone kicks in. Unfortunately that still can be too much for smaller venues.

I appreciate all the suggestions, thanks.

Also, F-30s are hard to find around here. And I think I'd like to try something different.

• Members

I'm thinking of buying one of those little epiphone 10w heads for the studio.

Those are a gret buy for about $100 and i've heard some recordings done with

them and they really rip at low volume. I got and old Ampeg 10w and a marshall

15w but they're both transistor one trick ponies. you can use effects pedals with

them but thats not much better than recording direct.

Oh and those epis, they had an upgrade on them to convert the heaters to a DC supply

which made them much quieter. the new ones have it but you have to watch out buying used.

If you get it cheap enough then its makes sence to mod it. thay have them as a combo too

but I got more speakers than I know what to do with so I'll save money just buying the head for

$30 or so cheaper.

• Members

Fair question-the f-50 at low volume on the overdrive channel, not the clean channel, the tone becomes very tinny. There's a sweet spot at about 9:30 that the great tone kicks in. Unfortunately that still can be too much for smaller venues.

I appreciate all the suggestions, thanks.

Also, F-30s are hard to find around here. And I think I'd like to try something different.

You could get a set of Yellow Jackest and just swap them for the 6L6's when you want lower power.

• Members

If you like Mesa and can spend a bit more and check around you might consider the Transatlantic TA-15. It is 2 channels, one voxish and one fender/marshall/mesa. Goes 5/15/25 watts and I love mine. I got mine for $750 but that was a while ago and while they are still $900 new I would think there should be some used ones cheaper these days but I really don't know since I got mine I'm done with buying amps

• Members

Two GREAT amps at that level of power: Laney Lionheart 20w head - two very good channels. The clean is glorious. Great reverb on it too.

Orange Dual Terror. Doesn't do cleans quite so well, but the overdrive is to die for and you have switchable between 15 and 30 watts. Best sounding mild-medium overdrive on any amp I have tried more or less.

• Members

I'm thinking of buying one of those little epiphone 10w heads for the studio.

Those are a gret buy for about $100 and i've heard some recordings done with

them and they really rip at low volume.

Oh and those epis, they had an upgrade on them to convert the heaters to a DC supply

which made them much quieter. the new ones have it but you have to watch out buying used.

If you get it cheap enough then its makes sence to mod it. thay have them as a combo too

but I got more speakers than I know what to do with so I'll save money just buying the head for

$30 or so cheaper.

Interesting never heard of these. Are they current?

• Members

Ac 15 is what you want for all those styles of music but they aren't really that Quiet. A Fender Pro Jr are very good no frill Amps. And as far as channel switching goes Just used your volume Knob a go from Clean to distorted and all point inbetween.

Archived