Bob Taylor and the future of Ebony

Help!I'maRock!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Awesome....! Great video. I'm going to take him at his word. This is the kind of honest and open marketing that just doesn't exist with certain other companies.

Lay it out for people. Give them the facts as they stand, and allow consumers to make a choice based on education. I think that nearly everyone..knowing whats really going on will choose to make the ethical choice.

I'm the biggest corporate bashing poster on HCEG, but I have huge respect for companies with leaders who DO understand the reality of what's happening on earth and are taking steps to remold their companies to be conscious and proactive about sustainability, and environmentalism.

They are a small segment...but growing fast in all areas....it is the future.

Spread this video people.

Well-said!

• Members

It sounds brilliant.

But being pragmatic as a consumer, is the TLDR of this basicly "You, Mr. Consumer, will now get lower quality ebony for the price you once paid for perfect ebony"?

Because thats what it sounds like.

No, the "quality" of the ebony as a wood is not confined to its' color. That is the message here.

• Members

Indeed. That is how to run a guitar company!

Taylor gets brand management and customer relations better than any company in the industry. And nothing they do is rocket science:

- great post-sales support (website, service options)

- an interesting quarterly owners magazine that promotes the brand without being annoying

- great factory tour experience

Throw in a transparent and honest CEO who puts out videos like this...all reasons why I'm a diehard Taylor acoustic fan. Yeah, Martin and Gibson and other shops make nice gear, but Taylor just seems to TRY harder than any one else.

• Members

Taylor gets brand management and customer relations better than any company in the industry. And nothing they do is rocket science:

- great post-sales support (website, service options)

- an interesting quarterly owners magazine that promotes the brand without being annoying

- great factory tour experience

Throw in a transparent and honest CEO who puts out videos like this...all reasons why I'm a diehard Taylor acoustic fan. Yeah, Martin and Gibson and other shops make nice gear, but Taylor just seems to TRY harder than any one else.

they have to. they're not Martin and Gibson and simply by virtue of being Taylor, people hold it against them. if they don't try harder, they don't gain market share. same goes for PRS. maybe that's why i own a Taylor and a PRS, and not Martin and Gibson.

• Members

My German cello's finger board is AA/A- (depending on who you buy it from or ask). My electric cello fingerboard is a solid A-. Both have been dyed. Both fingerboards look great and, more importantly, feel perfect. Kudos to Bob Taylor making this push. The idea that ebony has to be AAA grade just to be useful on an instrument was insane in the first place, and is even more so now.

• Members

Not really ready to extoll Bob Taylor as the next Messiah. Seems like a business decision pure and simple to me - Cameroon last country with legal Ebony, better not burn through it too fast. Plus the fact that it's just a fantastic marketing chip as guitarplayers have already been introduced to baked maple and the like in the new eco-economy. I was hoping to hear something more about the custodian aspect and replanting but to me it was just more of a sales pitch. Still, I respect the man and his decision and I've always liked his guitars.

• Members

why are you all worrying about ebony for guitar building when the largest single reason for deforestation on the planet is cutting down South American jungles to make space for cattle ranches to satisfy the US import demand for beef?

Of which a large proportion is cooked and thrown away uneaten, along with many other foodstuffs.

I am all for sensible ecological crusading, but aim for the really big stuff, eh?

Apologies to those of you who do, of course.

• Members

Not really ready to extoll Bob Taylor as the next Messiah. Seems like a business decision pure and simple to me - Cameroon last country with legal Ebony, better not burn through it too fast. Plus the fact that it's just a fantastic marketing chip as guitarplayers have already been introduced to baked maple and the like in the new eco-economy. I was hoping to hear something more about the custodian aspect and replanting but to me it was just more of a sales pitch. Still, I respect the man and his decision and I've always liked his guitars.

Yes. I'm glad someone else sees the big picture.

• Members

why are you all worrying about ebony for guitar building when the largest single reason for deforestation on the planet is cutting down South American jungles to make space for cattle ranches to satisfy the US import demand for beef?

Of which a large proportion is cooked and thrown away uneaten, along with many other foodstuffs.

I am all for sensible ecological crusading, but aim for the really big stuff, eh?

Very true. I never eat at McDonalds or the like. That's a start. I have been vegetarian and did feel good when I did it. I am considering going that route again, this time for more reasons than personal health.

• Members

nobody is saying he's the "messiah"....we're simply saying its nice that a company can market itself honestly. And OF COURSE it's a business decision. A very smart one. It's OK to try to clean up your companies act AND still make money you know. And for many customers this kind of thing matters. How are we to know that they do it, if they don't tell us? Damn rights they should use this kind of thing in their marketing. That's the point. To many other corporate leaders are dinosaurs and just don't get that this type of thing is GREAT marketing for a company. And a money maker FOR them.

To say it's "just a sales pitch" is to allow your own cynicism to blind you to a company that has decided to take a fairly big step in the right direction. And he's not doing it just because he was doing things illegally before and then got busted for it and was FORCED to change to alternative woods. He's being PRO active as opposed to RE active. And I think that is worthy of way {censored}ing more respect than HJ.

And what customers need to do is hold Taylor to account even more...make sure he does what he says, and goes even farther. Push them to outline their plans for re forestation.

This is how it works. {censored} doesn't change until people educate their own ignorant asses...or people get in their faces and MAKE them change their {censored} ways.

• Members

Supply and demand. Trees grow. All you have to do is plant them. Does it take time for them to grow? Yes. If certain woods are scarce and fetch a premium price, at some point it's price will justify reclaiming the land for forestation and investing in tree farms. Apparently those purchasing wood products just don't desire them enough to pay what should be fair market price.

A lot of this is politics. If wood was so rare, and therefore expensive, and therefore profitable, you'd see an investment back into the resources to cultivate the timber instead of stuff like beef. Some governmental entities aren't so much interested in the environment as much as they are controlling the resources for their own gain. Not that there's anything wrong with responsible conservation.

• Members

it's ok to praise people when they take a step in the right direction. yes, that step is a comparative drop in the bucket. but give the man credit for securing his business and supply lines while doing something positive.

• Members

so , is this what we can expect from now on?

ebony streaked taylor - $1600

ebony non streaked - $2400

i assume they will differentiate streaked from non streaked somehow. let's not forget what kind of customers they (we) are dealing with here. cork sniffery must come out of this as well.

• Members

so , is this what we can expect from now on?

ebony streaked taylor - $1600

ebony non streaked - $2400

i assume they will differentiate streaked from non streaked somehow. let's not forget what kind of customers they (we) are dealing with here. cork sniffery must come out of this as well.

i expect the same type of upcharge for black ebony as you would have for highly figured maple.

• Members

i expect the same type of upcharge for black ebony as you would have for highly figured maple.

so you don't think they'll keep the existing pricing for black and make streaked a cheaper alternative to black?

Archived