Bob Taylor and the future of Ebony

Help!I'maRock!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I still fail to understand why they are even using it any more in the first place. Yes, Bob Taylor is doing the lesser of two evils with the key work being evil. What about creating a renewable source for ebony or something of the like? I mean, Bob Taylor is still contributing to the devastation of ebony on a whole only slowing the process down. That does not make him a hero to me.

• Members

Barring a financial meltdown of epic proportions I will be keeping my Taylor acoustic for my entire life.

On another note: Am I the only one who really likes streaky ebony? I like it MUCH better than the very boring plain black ebony.

• Members

He's a slave to the dollar?
People want ebony
. So far none of the fretboard alternatives have gone over too well,
people want the classics

In my opinion, there are too many people of the attitude of "I want what I want and to hell with the consequences". Any viable alternative they refuse to buy. Just look at the Gibson fanboys and the baked maple "controversy".

• Members

Why use the ebony at all if it is endangered? At the end of the day, he is contributing to its demise.

I realize that if he didn't take it someone would but still.

Well....I would hope that to go along with what he said in the video, that his company also has a plan for sustainability as well.

Yes there are a lot of things in the video he doesn't mention...and I'm damn sure what he's doing there is not perfect, but at least it sounds like he cares and is getting the ball rolling on responsibility. He seems to be genuine. Time will hold him accountable.

It's important that even if big corporate leaders aren't being perfect...the ones that are being better than the others, should be supported and trumpeted. It sends an example to the rest of them that this is what consumers want. Causing them to have to up their game, in issues like this.

Hopefully with even more pressure and questions too him, he will explain his companies policy towards sustainability and what they will do to ensure re growth of ebony in places the cut.

• Members
yeah so do I. He didn't mention that but I would think it would be in his companies best interest to do that. Part of the labor is already done.

It would be more in the best interest of the contractor who actually has to go into the jungle to get the tree.

• Members

Keep in mind, he didn't say that Cameroon is the last place for ebony in the world; he said it was the last place it was LEGAL to cut. I believe some of the gist of the video was that there was still ebony grown on other places, but was illegal to log it, and he's not using any underhanded shenanigans to source it.

• Members

It sounds brilliant.

But being pragmatic as a consumer, is the TLDR of this basicly "You, Mr. Consumer, will now get lower quality ebony for the price you once paid for perfect ebony"?

Because thats what it sounds like.

• Members

yeah so do I. He didn't mention that but I would think it would be in his companies best interest to do that. Part of the labor is already done.

unless the loggers were smart enough to split the logs and lift them above the ground, only the most recent cuts would still be worth salvaging.

• Members

Good show Bob.

My '72 Martin has streaked ebony. They dyed it. Stuff came off on my fingers for years .

After 39 years the dye doesn't come off anymore and you can just barely see a streak.

• Members
It sounds brilliant.

But being pragmatic as a consumer, is the TLDR of this basicly "You, Mr. Consumer, will now get lower quality ebony for the price you once paid for perfect ebony"?

Because thats what it sounds like.

The difference is purely cosmetic and can be remedied with a $7 bottle of leather dye.

• Members

The difference is purely cosmetic and can be remedied with a $7 bottle of leather dye.

yep.

i wouldn't be surprised to see new instruments that would have been offered with rosewood now offered with streaked ebony, now that the supply has increased by 900%.

Archived