Bob Taylor and the future of Ebony

Help!I'maRock!

• Members

It's a youtube video.....for customers.....

First off...as many have mentioned...the price of the wood is almost completely irrelevant to the cost of the guitar. He's paying very low prices to those guys either way. The little bit more he pays for 2nd grade at the same as first is going to have virtually nothing to do with the end price the consumer pays.

Secondly he's made the choice on the supply side already. People who want a Taylor are going to have to accept that some of them are going to come with ebony that has figuring. And the video is telling you why. That's why it's a great video. He's being polite..but essentially he's saying "all you {censored}ing stuck in your ways asshole guitarists out there need to wise up and realize we all need to try to make a difference". And who's to say he won't make jet black ebony and up charge for the people who want it? I think that would be a reasonable policy...don't you?

As for your last couple points....I'm not really sure why you would expect to hear that kind of information on a video like that. It's beyond the scope. I mean what do you want him to do? Produce an hour long video explaining to every last detail the ins and outs of his forestry business? Sorry but most people don't have that kind of patience.

I'm sure if you really wanted to know you could email him. He seems like the type who would probably respond to customer questions like that. I mean....don't get me wrong...I think guys like this should be held to task. Held to the standards they claim and pushed to go even farther. You're right to want to know these kinds of things. I just think you cynicism is kind of unfocused. It's not like any of us can answer the questions you have. We only know what you know. You should be asking him this stuff directly if you suspect he's not being genuine, not doing enough, or not being clear enough for your liking.

Whoa! I am not denigrating him or his intention. I would love his ideals to succeed. All I did was watch the video and then think OK whats liable to derail this, so we can deal with the issues when they arise. Just because you want something to happen does not mean you have the resources or skills to make it happen.

As I said before - I am with him.

I was just trying to add to the wider debate, without the rose coloured specs.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived