Bill Nash fixes the Jazzmaster

Help!I'maRock!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That body's been around, how promiscuous.

I think 24" scale is ideal. You usually have to up the string gauge by a half, and Jags and Mustangs play best with the strings high off the body and the neck shimmed a bit (Jazzmasters do as well, IMO). I think Jazz/Jag bridges work best with the saddles high and the bridge slightly lower, but still the neck shimmed, then the strings hold the bridge a lot better. Anybody who plays hard enough to knock the strings out of their grooves should probably be using heavier strings anyway. And the Mastery bridge is always an option.

I love the Jag/Mustang neck a lot because it sticks out from the body more, so you get better upper fret access, and open chords still feel about the same as on a Strat, except that certain intervals are easier to reach. I really see no downside and I don't understand how people complain about feeling cramped when I see people using capos all the time and short scale length is more or less the same idea.

• Members

That body's been around, how promiscuous.

I think 24" scale is ideal. You usually have to up the string gauge by a half, and Jags and Mustangs play best with the strings high off the body and the neck shimmed a bit (Jazzmasters do as well, IMO). I think Jazz/Jag bridges work best with the saddles high and the bridge slightly lower, but still the neck shimmed, then the strings hold the bridge a lot better. Anybody who plays hard enough to knock the strings out of their grooves should probably be using heavier strings anyway. And the Mastery bridge is always an option.

I love the Jag/Mustang neck a lot because it sticks out from the body more, so you get better upper fret access, and open chords still feel about the same as on a Strat, except that certain intervals are easier to reach. I really see no downside and I don't understand how people complain about feeling cramped when I see people using capos all the time and short scale length is more or less the same idea.

I'm in the process of swapping out my 25.5" neck on my resoglass Jetson model for a Jag neck. I've gotten used to it now and 25.5" seems unwieldy.

• Members

My position on Jaguars vs Jazzmasters has been consistent. I'm not sure what work you think you've accomplished.

My goal for Wednesday, the 6th of June, in the year of our Lord 2012, was to get you to concede a point. Any point. On anything. Just wanted that to take place. I can haz concession? Yes...yes, I can.

Admittedly, I aim low. Back to playing my Jag.

• Members

My goal for Wednesday, the 6th of June, in the year of our Lord 2012, was to get you to concede a point. Any point. On anything. Just wanted that to take place. I can haz concession? Yes...yes, I can.

I'm glad I could brighten your day! Has it been joyous?

• Members

You speaketh the truth. Django is one of those who thinks his {censored} don't stink. What you request won't happen.

Not now, not ever,.....NEVER!.

He must be a woman

• Members

Uncorrect.

Foto1.jpg

Sort of OT, but that really is crappy playing technique in the photo. I don't care how cool or rock & roll it looks to sling a guitar down that low, it ergonomically sucks. It bends your wrist at an awkward angle, and really restricts hand movement on the neck.

• Members

Play only shortscale for a month. After that 25.5" will feel wrong to you.

Not necessarily. I have a Jag, and a Gretsch Country Club (which has a 25.5" scale neck). I play both almost equally time-wise. I've never had issues adjusting playing-wise, when switching from one to the other. I didn't even have issues, when I had a Schecter Omen Extreme 7 (7-string guitar), which had a 26.5" scale neck. IMO, it comes down to how much ability have on the instrument. I've talked to other 7 & 8-string players, on the 7-string guitar forum, about this issue (many 7 & 8-string guitars have scale lengths longer than 25.5" - it helps keep the lower strings from feeling loose, or having to resort to telephone cable sized strings, for the low strings [to get decent string tension on them]), and they said the same thing - if you have enough playing ability, switching between different scale length guitars is no big deal.

• Members

Yeah but the 24" scale doesn't work for everyone.

I mean, I think it's the best thing ever, but not everyone has my opinion.

True and it's all relative. I joke about it but I actually do have really large hands, both thickness and length. I can't even play Les Paul scales as a result so whatever, we are all different. The major difference is though, Django can't appreciate anyone's opinion or preference that differs from his own. Thus, revealing control issues and insecurity which result in him behaving arrogantly when really, he doesn't feel good about who is as a person.

• Members

Same thing happened to me w/ RavenCAD once. Ah, the circle of life. Seemed important to me at the time, but I can't remember what it was. Must not have been very important!

• Members
You speaketh the truth. Django is one of those who thinks his {censored} don't stink. What you request won't happen.

Not now, not ever,.....NEVER!.

He must be a woman

That's rich. You're one of the biggest trolls I know of. Bbreaker nor I can start a thread about Craig's List without you chiming in with your strident remarks. :D

• Members

True and it's all relative. I joke about it but I actually do have really large hands, both thickness and length. I can't even play Les Paul scales as a result so whatever, we are all different. The major difference is though, Django can't appreciate anyone's opinion or preference that differs from his own. Thus, revealing control issues and insecurity which result in him behaving arrogantly when really, he doesn't feel good about who is as a person.

Have a blessed late night snack!

• Members

Sort of OT, but that really is crappy playing technique in the photo. I don't care how cool or rock & roll it looks to sling a guitar down that low, it ergonomically sucks. It bends your wrist at an awkward angle, and really restricts hand movement on the neck.

Yeah, but they're the Bradipos IV. So there's that.

• Members

), and they said the same thing - if you have enough playing ability, switching between different scale length guitars is no big deal.

Of course it's no big deal. It's not really anything to do with ability. A rank amateur can easily switch between mandolin and bass. But if you play something exclusively for a while that is not your normal scale, your normal scale will feel strange when you go back to it.

Archived