Bill Nash fixes the Jazzmaster

Help!I'maRock!

• Members

You speaketh the truth. Django is one of those who thinks his {censored} don't stink. What you request won't happen.

Not now, not ever,.....NEVER!.

He must be a woman

Fascinating. Are you implying that women are fundamentally wrong regarding matters of musical gear? Or are they axiomatically incapable of holding valid opinions on any subject in general. Or are you simply invoking the female gender as some sort of insult? An overarching invective, if you will? If so, does this disdain extend more generally? Do you hate women? Are you solely comfortable with men.

We're not judging. This is a safe place.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You speaketh the truth. Django is one of those who thinks his {censored} don't stink. What you request won't happen.

Not now, not ever,.....NEVER!.

He must be a woman

Fascinating. Are you implying that women are fundamentally wrong regarding matters of musical gear? Or are they axiomatically incapable of holding valid opinions on any subject in general. Or are you simply invoking the female gender as some sort of insult? An overarching invective, if you will? If so, does this disdain extend more generally? Do you hate women? Are you solely comfortable with men?

We're not judging. This is a safe place.

• Members

Sort of OT, but that really is crappy playing technique in the photo. I don't care how cool or rock & roll it looks to sling a guitar down that low, it ergonomically sucks. It bends your wrist at an awkward angle, and really restricts hand movement on the neck.

It's pretty common among rock and pop guitarists. Not that that excuses {censored}ty technique on their parts.

• Members

Of course it's no big deal. It's not really anything to do with ability. A rank amateur can easily switch between mandolin and bass. But if you play something exclusively for a while that is not your normal scale, your normal scale will feel strange when you go back to it.

Perhaps, but I would think that it shouldn't take more than an hour or two of playing the "different" guitar, for that feeling to go away. BTW, I hope you're not making the erroneous assumption that "really proficient players never switch guitars". Your statement above, seems to imply that. Many times, switching guitars (with or without different scale lengths) playing-wise, can give you a different sonic and/or playing perspective which can help break out of musical ruts. Also, the term "your normal scale" is kind of a misnomer. What it should be, is preferred scale (of the player).

• Members

Perhaps, but I would think that it shouldn't take more than an hour or two of playing the "different" guitar, for that feeling to go away. BTW, I hope you're not making the erroneous assumption that "really proficient players never switch guitars". Your statement above, seems to imply that. Many times, switching guitars (with or without different scale lengths) playing-wise, can give you a different sonic and/or playing perspective which can help break out of musical ruts. Also, the term "your normal scale" is kind of a misnomer. What it should be, is preferred scale (of the player).

I never stated nor implied that "really proficient players never switch guitars." "Your normal scale" isn't a misnomer. It's synonymous with your phrasing, "preferred scale."

• Members

I thought the Jazzmaster and the Jaguar were the same basic guitar except for scale length and pickups?!?

They're quite similar. The bass horn is narrower on the Jaguar. The pickups and scale length are different. The Jaguar's rhythm circuit uses a smaller value capacitor, and the Jaguar also features a high-pass filter switch. Obviously the Jaguar has much more chrome as well.

The biggest improvement of the Jaguar over the Jazzmaster is, IMO, the pickups. They're the least noisy single coils ever designed by fender. They also sound a bit more focused, though some of that is down to the 24" scale length as well.

• Members

Hit, meet nail head.

Except Bill Nash is obviously quite incompetent. You can get away with that, building scratched up Tele partsmasters. They're simple guitars. But he obviously doesn't know anything about Jazzmasters, as evidenced by his sub-Squier quality past builds.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I like Jazzmaster and Jaguars but the design is far from perfect. I'll take a Mastery Bridge over an original bridge any day of the week.

A Mastery bridge is far from perfect especially since you can't intonate individual strings.  Almost like taking two steps back.  Best Jazzmaster bridge is a Mustang bridge or Tune-o-matic, PERIOD!

Archived