Bill Nash fixes the Jazzmaster

Help!I'maRock!

• Members

Yeah, please.

There's an entire thread trashing offsets and people all jumping in, and they're the first ones to get butthurt when their beloved Strats are shown to have faults.

NO IT'S NOT A FAULT THAT MY PINKY KEEPS JAMMING INTO THE VOLUME POT BUT I HAVE AN EXTRA STIFF VOLUME POT SO IT DOESN'T CHANGE THE VOLUME BUT A JAZZMASTER'S BODY IS SO UNBALANCED IT IS {censored} BUT WAIT, MY JAZZ BASS WITH PRETTY MUCH THE SAME OFFSET WAIST IS FINE.

^ That's a Stratter's logic.

They do seem to be able to dish it out but not to be able to take it.

Nevertheless, I wish them all joyous lunches!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

haha...so after 12, do u wish them 'joyous dinners', too??

re; squiers ; they are remarkably better than in yrs past. mabye even better than some MIMs.

and u srsly never heard of nash?? i been knowin them for almost 10 yrs IIRC.

i didnt kno he used warmoth bodies tho.

his neck relic'ing sux imo.

• Members
When Fender approached me to make my own signature Jaguar, I wanted to iron out some of the flaws that I felt the guitar had, and spent months on the road going through as many as fifteen old Jags working out what I liked and didn't like about each one.

• Members

How is it un-Jag, though?

It's got ...a Mustang bridge...

Tee-hee.

All I'm saying is that Nash making changes that he felt were needed is no different than what Johnny Marr, Lee Ranaldo, Cobain, etc. did to their respective instruments. The only glaring issue being is they're actual musicians and Nashy-poo is a builder/assembler. Isn't he just "ironing out the flaws?"

I guess I don't see the problem with what he's doing. He's still a colossal douche though. No disagreement there.

• Members

Tee-hee.

All I'm saying is that Nash making changes that he felt were needed is no different than what Johnny Marr, Lee Ranaldo, Cobain, etc. did to their respective instruments. The only glaring issue being is they're actual musicians and Nashy-poo is a builder/assembler. Isn't he just "ironing out the flaws?"

I guess I don't see the problem with what he's doing. He's still a colossal douche though. No disagreement there.

One key difference is that Nash seems to hate Jazzmasters.

• Moderators

I'm sick of reading about how nobody employs JM/Jag switching or about how it is "unusable". IT WORKS FINE AND I USE IT!

But no, I'm not going to read the six pages of bickering I'm sure this thread entails.

• Members

The thing is that Jazzmaster isn't a perfect guitar. We all know that. Even Django knows that and is just trolling for the sake of trolling when he argues otherwise.

But there are many different ways to make the guitar perfect for each individual player. Some people just use 13 gauge flats and then they find no issues whatsoever. Some use a buzz stop. Some use a Tune-O-Matic. Some people even build their own and add a Bigsby. The modern Jazzmaster player probably has a Mustang style bridge which in my opinion solves 80% of the issues that anybody might experience, and then the 20% that's left can be thought of as character.

For Nash to come up with a set of workarounds, and don't get me wrong, they're not all completely brainless and some of them are things that some Jazz players do to their guitar, but then to claim you FIXED something completely is a remarkably bold thing to do. For one thing, many Jazzmaster players would vomit at the thought of a 12" radius neck, so why does he think this fixes a problem? If anything, most Jazzmaster players find the neck to be the single best feature of the guitar, and I would actually agree with that. Jazzmaster necks are amazing and have no problems that needed to be fixed. And why the Wilkinson style roller bridge? Why not a Mustang styled bridge or a Mastery bridge? I even use the Wilkinson bridge on one of my guitars but I'd consider it to be like maybe the third or fourth most desirable bridge on a Jazzmaster, and if I have a 12" radius neck and a Tune-O-Matic, I'd use a GraphTech bridge.

And the pickup set doesn't "fix" anything, it's just a mentality he believes in. He didn't fix anything. He modified a Jazzmaster, and not in any interesting ways. The Johnny Marr Jaguar actually has a couple of really interesting features that weren't just some aftermarket parts screwed on.

• Members
I'm sick of reading about how nobody employs JM/Jag switching or about how it is "unusable". IT WORKS FINE AND I USE IT!

My issue with the rhythm circuit is that even for someone who used it, they'd be able to use it as equally well if the mud were somewhere in there, rather than a permanent feature of the circuit. What I'm saying is that if there were reasonable pot and cap values in there, then the ones who want mud could set the sweep of the tone pot to where they can dial in the amount of mud they want, and then the rest of the users who don't want the mud could also find something useful about that circuit, too, instead of something where only like one person out of five uses it and has to defend how great it is.

• Moderators

My issue with the rhythm circuit is that even for someone who used it, they'd be able to use it as equally well if the mud were somewhere in there, rather than a permanent feature of the circuit. What I'm saying is that if there were reasonable pot and cap values in there, then the ones who want mud could set the sweep of the tone pot to where they can dial in the amount of mud they want, and then the rest of the users who don't want the mud could also find something useful about that circuit, too, instead of something where only like one person out of five uses it and has to defend how great it is.

I agree the stock values are not ideal for most playing. Aside from changing 'em, I've also, as a fix, simply set my amp brighter and rolled back the tone of the lead circuit a little.

• Members

Every guitar lacks in something. For me, Les Pauls lack in clarity (anybody for whom their LP has enough clarity just doesn't believe in very much of it). Strats lack in playability. Teles lack in styling. SGs suck. Jaguars and Jazzes lack in the bridge and have too many controls. Mustangs lack in nothing, but I always have to explain how great they are to people, which makes me think there's something wrong with them. And half the guitars in the world are too heavy. One-trick ponies lack in versatility. Versatile guitars usually lack in making their many strengths completely accessible.

If you actually think any guitar is perfect for everyone, you must not demand very much out of your guitars.

• Members

The thing is that Jazzmaster isn't a perfect guitar. We all know that. Even Django knows that and is just trolling for the sake of trolling when he argues otherwise.

The Jazzmaster was Leo's first vast improvement over his previous designs. No, it's not perfect. But the Jaguar is essentially the Jazzmaster perfected.

• Members

The Jazzmaster was Leo's first vast improvement over his previous designs. No, it's not perfect. But the Jaguar is essentially the Jazzmaster perfected.

I'd agree, but I'm not a big fan of shortscales. Even though I want a jag and a mustang...

• Members

Play only shortscale for a month. After that 25.5" will feel wrong to you.

YOU HATE THE JAZZMASTER!

In all seriousness, the only good thing to come of Nash dipping his fat toe in the JM waters is the possibility of getting a Sherwood Green Metallic one with matching headstock. Just undo all the Nash changes and voila!

Archived