Bill Nash fixes the Jazzmaster

Help!I'maRock!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I still don't get why 7.25" radius is unsuitable for lead, anyway. Even {censored}ing Yngwie has no problem with it. Is there any chance the guy is just trying to save money because the Wilkinson style roller bridge is cheaper and doesn't work with 7.25" radius, instead of going to Mastery or something more upscale, which he should be doing at his prices?

NAH.

• Members

It's like, Ooh, I shimmed the neck, I swapped the bridge, I put a buzz-stop on it. It almost reads like "Jazzmaster 101."

You can do all that with a Japanese Jazzmaster for a lot less money and actually pay Fender for a good guitar.

• Members

I still don't get why 7.25" radius is unsuitable for lead, anyway. Even {censored}ing Yngwie has no problem with it. Is there any chance
the guy is just trying to save money
because the Wilkinson style roller bridge is cheaper and doesn't work with 7.25" radius, instead of going to Mastery or something more upscale, which he should be doing at his prices?

NAH.

Bingo. Hence the no-name trem on that white Jazzmaster.

• Members

Funny thing is Wilkinson bridge works fine with a 7.25" radius if you're willing to make height adjustment shims for it by cutting up a Coke can, which I did.

I guess he hasn't figured that one out, and when he does, he'll offer a "vintage radius" option for $150 extra.

• Members

Not a Nash apologist but have owned some his in the past. I think he's a tool who won't respond to emails, but if we're bashing him for making changes to a design he feels are appropriate, shouldn't we be bashing Johnny Marr for his Jaguar changes as well?

Pleasedon'thitme.

• Members

Not a Nash apologist but have owned some his in the past. I think he's a tool who won't respond to emails, but if we're bashing him for making changes to a design he feels are appropriate, shouldn't we be bashing Johnny Marr for his Jaguar changes as well?

Pleasedon'thitme.

Hmm, Marr's changes were based on his personal playing style, and don't really change the essential Jagness of the Jaguar.

Plus they were a lot better thought out. Nash just slapped together the common mods that most indie first position strummers have been doing for decades.

• Members

wait, what?

Look at the picture I posted:

img0313zt.jpg

Notice the little shiny things poking out from under the saddles? Them's the shims.

What you do is you cut up a Coke can, then you make little shims by gluing a few pieces together, then cut them into little rectangles with a little hole in the middle of it. Like this shape:

cherrycoke.png

If you want it to be flatter, add the shims to the outer saddles. If you want it to be more curved, add shims to the inner saddles. To achieve 7.25" radius on the bottoms of the strings (any set), use no shim on the E strings, 2 thickness on the A and B strings, and 3 thickness on the D and G strings. Easy!

I use Cherry Coke, obviously, since I like the fruity flavor. When you use regular Coke, you get a more vintage toan. When you use Diet, you get a tone that seems kind of sweet, but really actually sucks. If you use vanilla Coke, well, then you're too boring.

• Members

he's been on my ignore list for a while. unfortunately, i till see his drivel when other people quote it.

He is the first and only person on my ignore list. I wish other people would stop responding to him.

• Members

Look at the picture I posted:

img0313zt.jpg

Notice the little shiny things poking out from under the saddles? Them's the shims.

What you do is you cut up a Coke can, then you make little shims by gluing a few pieces together, then cut them into little rectangles with a little hole in the middle of it. Like this shape:

cherrycoke.png

If you want it to be flatter, add the shims to the outer saddles. If you want it to be more curved, add shims to the inner saddles. To achieve 7.25" radius on the bottoms of the strings (any set), use no shim on the E strings, 2 thickness on the A and B strings, and 3 thickness on the D and G strings. Easy!

I use Cherry Coke, obviously, since I like the fruity flavor. When you use regular Coke, you get a more vintage toan. When you use Diet, you get a tone that seems kind of sweet, but really actually sucks. If you use vanilla Coke, well, then you're too boring.

oh, i see them now. thanks.

• Members

The original Jazzmaster was not perfect IMO, but then neither was the original Telecaster (couldn't have both pickups on together) or the Stratocaster (no tone control for the bridge pickup). Despite that, what Mr. Nash and quite a few other guitar builders are doing is taking established guitar designs and tweaking them and calling it innovation.

• Members

Whats funny is the way he puts you guys in apoplexy. I've never had the pleasure of owning a JM or Jag, and I find his helperisms informative from the strict traditionalist point of view. As for Nash, yawn. Fenders been doing the same thing forever.

I would argue the Esquire is the perfect design.

6 strings on a plank. No extraneous pickups or vibrato gadgets. Unlike a Junior, doubles as a weapon with no danger of breakage.

• Members

I'm glad that we have a Jaguar troll, of all things.

It's just sort of one of those things you don't expect to exist.

And as someone who loves Fender short scales, I laugh.

That's how I feel. My Blacktop Jaguar HH strung with 9's would probably send Django into apoplexy.

Archived