Strat sprting claw affects tone?

Couleurs

• Members

This is what a seller on eBay claims:

"The Brass Tremolo Claw is a tonal monster that replaces the cheap pot metal claw that comes with every tremolo. The signal in your tone chain travels from the string to the saddles to the block to the springs to the CLAW to the claw screw to the body. The weakest link in this chain is the spring claw!"

Part of me is rolling on the floor laughing. The other part of me is wondering, is there any truth to this?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"Definitely a must get with the KGC brass tremolo block. Dramatic improvement in sound quality, tone and sustain. I was going to replace/upgrade the pups in my MIM Strat, but after putting this claw and the KGC brass block in there was no need. The stock MIM pups sounded great - thanks KGC!"

HAHA.

• Members

Why is there a heat-shrink insulator for the ground wire lug? Does grounding ground to ground change the tone?

I don't think that has any impact on tone, but I bet it has more than the material the claw is made of.

• Members
:idea: While you are at it you will need to buy the Raw VintageTremolo Springs these things are a steal at 20bucks and because they are Vintage your tone will soar.I don't need to practice I just need to buy these items and I am set.I will sound like Stevie Ray by next tuesday.

• Members

You can put foam in back of the springs so it absorbs all vibration and you wont hear much change at all.

Most of the vibration from the bridge is transmitted to the body and back from the fulcrum point, not from the springs.

• Members

You can put foam in back of the sprongs so it absorbs all vibration and you wont hear much change at all.

Most of the vibration from the bridge is transmitted to the body and back from the fulcrum point, not from the springs.

Taonz is in the Sprongs!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey guys. This is Rick from Killer Guitar Components. I came across this thread this morning and thought I would chime in.

I can tell you with 100% confidence that our solid-milled brass trem claw certainly does offer you a great upgrade in tone, sustain, stability and look. It certainly doesn't have the affect that, say one of our trem blocks do, but I can tell you there are noticeable, positive changes upon installation. This is a super easy upgrade to install and the price is actually very reasonable considering it has to be precision machined from a solid piece of our brass alloy. You may be surprised to hear that our profit margin on these is not that great.

The springs actually carry more vibration than most of you seem to realize. Having cheap, thin, rigid springs can deaden the transfer of vibration from the block, to the claw and into the body of your guitar - which is eventually "heard" by the pickups. This is why we recommend using Raw Vintage Springs. They really DO make a difference. The actual spring steel used to wind these springs is a larger diameter compared to your standard factory springs. Beyond that, the material used is a much better quality - giving you a smoother feel and more transfer of vibration. They really are well worth the $20 for 5 springs - I'm tellin ya. Every one of my customers I have heard back from absolutely LOVE these springs.

Have a peek at this video made by a guy who was on our Facebook and was as skeptical as any of you about our claw. It is actually pretty funny too. I think you will be as impressed and surprised as he was if you give our claw a try.

Here is what he had to say on our FB page after trying the claw...

"ok, guys...time for me to publicly eat crow, i installed the killer brass trem claw on a bog-standard squier strat...and noticed an INSTANTANEOUS improvement in both the tone of the guitar accoustically, and the sustain. amazing. didn't think a trem claw could make a difference..but yours definitely did. so, crow sure tastes like a$$, but the product sounds great.

as soon as i get a chance, will shoot a quick video of it in action. well done...ya got me to put my foot in my mouth!! (tastes like crow) lol...thanks guys. i may have to check out more of your products! ;)

Archived