Strat sprting claw affects tone?

Couleurs

• Members

a great upgrade in tone, sustain, stability and
look.

Oh, well if it makes the inside of the trem cavity LOOK good it must not be total bull{censored}.

It certainly doesn't have the
affect
that,

*facepalm*

the transfer of vibration from the block, to the claw and into the body of your guitar - which is eventually "heard" by the pickups.

3 strikes and yer outtahere.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

^^^^^ You're more likely to hear a change in toanz with dirty underwear.^^^^^

Belva, have you ever tried changing out the claw in one of your guitars? I have had numerous players with a similar attitude to yours (most not quite as utterly dismissive and closed-minded) that I have talked into giving it a try - and every one of them gets back to me with positive and noticeable results. Think what you want, but don't knock it until you've tried it.

• Members

Oh, well if it makes the inside of the trem cavity LOOK good it must not be total bullshit.

*facepalm*

3 strikes and yer outtahere.

THere are many players that leave the back cover off. You gonna tell me this doesn't look pretty sweet?

DSC02528.jpg

• Members

It looks like every Strat trem cavity ever.

Look, I am not here to push my products on you guys. I just wanted to set the record straight that upgrading your cheap, bent sheet metal claw to our solid-milled brass claw DOES make a positive and noticeable change, but clearly all I am going to get is dismissive remarks no matter what I say. Is there nobody here that is even willing to entertain the idea that this could possibly be a good upgrade? Wow...

• Members

Look, I am not here to push my products on you guys. I just wanted to set the record straight that upgrading your cheap, bent sheet metal claw to our solid-milled brass claw DOES make a positive and noticeable change, but clearly all I am going to get is dismissive remarks no matter what I say. Is there nobody here that is even willing to entertain the idea that this could possibly be a good upgrade? Wow...

I'm sure there are people here who care about what their trem cavities look like. Those people are vain, insecure twats.

If you want to prove something, send one of your claws to one of the engineer-types around here and have him do a double-blind oscilloscope test of it vs a normal claw on the same guitar. Otherwise shut the hell up.

• Members

I, for one, am willing to entertain the idea.

You need to get one in the hands of a guy like Eric Johnson (not that he isn't dismissed, too, by a lot of guitarists as being obsessive) because I would like to hear what Eric Johnson would have to say.

• Members

I'm sure there are people here who care about what their trem cavities look like. Those people are vain, insecure twats.

If you want to prove something, send one of your claws to one of the engineer-types around here and have him do a double-blind oscilloscope test of it vs a normal claw on the same guitar. Otherwise shut the hell up.

I am very sorry that I don't have an oscilloscope test for you - but I am certainly willing to submit one for a test. I have already been in contact with some of the guys who demo gear on this website and will certainly be sending one for review. It is unfortunate that you are so closed-minded that you can't even consider that your OPINION could be incorrect.

• Members

I would suggest a better demo video and maybe some mp3 samples. ~2:30 minutes into a 17+ minute video and the guys breaks a string...

THis, I certainly agree with. That's the only video I currently have of a demo. If anyone here is willing to do one, I'd be happy to work with you.... Feel free to contact me on here or via email - rick@killerguitarcomponents.com

• Members

Belva, have you ever tried changing out the claw in one of your guitars? I have had numerous players with a similar attitude to yours (most not quite as utterly dismissive and closed-minded) that I have talked into giving it a try - and every one of them gets back to me with positive and noticeable results. Think what you want, but don't knock it until you've tried it.

So much of it is in the mind. If the mind WANTS to hear a difference, there will be a difference. Total bull{censored} otherwise. Better to spend the money on other things, like new strings.

• Members

I guess if you had a strat that wasn't vintage and everything about it was flawless and of the best quality possible it might make sense to get some really expensive claw. Otherwise, the claw has the number one mechanical device used for dampening (springs) between the bridge and the body and is most likely the most irrelevant part on the guitar aside from maybe the control knobs and pickguard screws.

• Members

I guess if you had a strat that wasn't vintage and everything about it was flawless and of the best quality possible it might make sense to get some really expensive claw. Otherwise, the claw has the number one mechanical device used for dampening (springs) between the bridge and the body and is most likely the most irrelevant part on the guitar aside from maybe the control knobs and pickguard screws.

Why do you want the springs to dampen? Wouldn't you want to create as much vibration transfer as possible?

For $50, you can upgrade your trem with our Killer Brass Claw and a set of Raw Vintage Springs. You guys all think this is BS, but the reality is that this really is a worthwhile upgrade for any tremolo-equipped guitar. That is why we stand behind our products 100% - our guarantee states that even if you plain don't like our product, it can be returned for a full refund within 30 days. I can't wait for one of you to try one and realize that you have all been overlooking the claw and springs for a long time.

• Members

Why do you want the springs to dampen? Wouldn't you want to create as much vibration transfer as possible?

For $50, you can upgrade your trem with our Killer Brass Claw and a set of Raw Vintage Springs. You guys all think this is BS, but the reality is that this really is a worthwhile upgrade for any tremolo-equipped guitar. That is why we stand behind our products 100% - our guarantee states that even if you plain don't like our product, it can be returned for a full refund within 30 days. I can't wait for one of you to try one and realize that you have all been overlooking the claw and springs for a long time.

I didn't say I wanted them to dampen, I said mechanically, that's what they do. And mechanically why a claw wouldn't have much impact on tone.

• Members

i noticed a slight change when i replaced the stock claws in both my PRS and Ibanez with a Tremol-no. with the unit disengaged, the difference was far less than changing string brands or gauges. did it have an effect? sure. but it was very slight. with the unit engaged, i noticed a significant change in sustain. it made those guitars respond more like a hardtail, which is exactly what it's designed to do.

• Members

I understand being skeptical of stuff, but just bashing a poor guy who's trying to make a living? Some people have no {censored}ing class, I swear.

Since you're here, do you have any shallow blocks that won't stick out of a guitar? I think there's a market for improved blocks that aren't full sized, for Squiers and certain import guitars and things like Jagmasters and such.

• Members

I understand being skeptical of stuff, but just bashing a poor guy who's trying to make a living? Some people have no {censored}ing class, I swear.

Since you're here, do you have any shallow blocks that won't stick out of a guitar? I think there's a market for improved blocks that aren't full sized, for Squiers and certain import guitars and things like Jagmasters and such.

Thank You! Yes, we offer the shorter blocks that fit the different Squiers and other import models. You can check them out - here http://www.killerguitarcomponents.com/virtue-mart?page=shop.browse&category_id=7

• Members

Once again, HIC evidences wisdom beyond his years.

(But that cat is too young to smoke.)

• Members

Thank You! Yes, we offer the shorter blocks that fit the different Squiers and other import models. You can check them out - here

Well I see that you have one for the twin pivot but the other one says 2". I've never seen a Squier with a 2" string spacing. Is that actually 2 1/16" ? Also does it only fit a Squier style plate or will an MIM work?

• Members

I didn't say I wanted them to dampen, I said mechanically, that's what they do. And mechanically why a claw wouldn't have much impact on tone.

This is part of the idea behind the Raw Vintage Springs - they allow for less dampening of vibration due to the material and the size of the spring steel used for winding them.

• Members

Well I see that you have one for the twin pivot but the other one says 2". I've never seen a Squier with a 2" string spacing. Is that actually 2 1/16" ? Also does it only fit a Squier style plate or will an MIM work?

Some of the older, Indonesian Squiers have 2" spacing - not any of the Squiers made today - at least for all I know. The bridges generally used on the Squiers made today are either the Synchronous orr the Synchronous Twin Pivot - both of which are different than the MIM block but they do both have 2 1/16" E to E spacing.

• Members

Hmm, you should make short blocks an option, or just sell a Squier upgrade bridge with short blocks.

I think thanks to Affinity Strats, as well as lots of Strat knockoffs, there's some sort of market for shorter upgrade 6-screw trem blocks.

• Members

Hmm, you should make short blocks an option, or just sell a Squier upgrade bridge with short blocks.

I think thanks to Affinity Strats, as well as lots of Strat knockoffs, there's some sort of market for shorter upgrade 6-screw trem blocks.

Both the Squier Synchronous and Synchronous Twin pivot blocks ARE shorter than your standard Strat block - so the option is there. We are a custom machine shop, so if anyone needs something different - we can do it!

• Members

This is part of the idea behind the Raw Vintage Springs - they allow for less dampening of vibration due to the material and the size of the spring steel used for winding them.

I would assume those make the vibrato arm a lot stiffer?

Archived