What collection reasonably covers all the bases?

Blackface

• Members

Jim Root strat (which does an impressive acoustic impression).

Which 1 you got,the Black & Ebony or White & Maple? When I read the "Which artists Strat would you own" or whatever the thread is I was looking at those and I think that would be my choice....

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nothing wrong with buying tons of guitars to see the difference between them and educate yourself on the hardware. If I had a lot of money that's what id do. After that I imagine people either go the way of bbreaker; the other extreme or in between. All good.

• Members

Which 1 you got,the Black & Ebony or White & Maple? When I read the "Which artists Strat would you own" or whatever the thread is I was looking at those and I think that would be my choice....

The black one :thu:

Mine is an amazingly light and resonant piece of mahogany and it sounds great! I think I got lucky though because Ive played an identical one that was heavy and sounded dead...

0114545706_frt_wmd_001.jpg

I would of preferred if they had a white body/black guard/ebony board version like they did with the Tele though.

0134444780_frt_wlg_001.jpg

• Members

Nothing wrong with buying tons of guitars to see the difference between them and educate yourself on the hardware. If I had a lot of money that's what id do. After that I imagine people either go the way of bbreaker; the other extreme or in between. All good.

I'm pretty much in the downsize mode these days.

I'd love to own a Teye LaPirata; Fano SP6; pre 1990 PRS Studio; another McInturff empress.............maybe sometime.

I've traded off my consecutive #'s Historic LP TV Specials and don't miss them. I'm thinking about another trade of 4 or 5 of my guitars for another 335. I'm dragging my feet with this one. Not that I'll miss the guitars I'm trading, it's the selling off of the 335 in 10 years or so. I don't want to have the ridiculous haggling going on. WHAT, thinking of selling in a decade?.........Well, yeah, the more I deal with people, the more I meet barnicles that want a yacht for the price of an oar. There's loads of loads out there that are just {censored}in' beggars and those beggars with wads of cash are the biggest turds. Then there's those who call people corksniffers yet they'll cry over a reasonably priced vintage or boutique piece that they really want.

People can be hard to figure and, when you do figure them out, you can't stand them.

I'm down to 105 guitars now.

No tears please.:rolleyes:

I've never owned a Fender Jaguar or Jazzmaster. I always thought they were cool but never pulled the trigger......even when those vintage ones were cheap.

• Members

It really depends on what your goals are musically. For example, I can play convincing country parts on any of my guitars, but they sound better on my tele and my strat.

Sure, I could play in a Metallica cover band with my tele, and drunk members of an audience wouldn't mind, but I would be much happier using my SL-1.

Though I could retune any of my guitars to one of the open tunings I like to use, the intonation, tone, and feel of a guitar is better, to me, when the string gauge and setup are chosen for a specific tuning.

Obviously, one guitar is better than no guitar, but the actual number really depends on the end user.

For me, its 10 (including two basses). Beyond that, maintenance/changing strings becomes too much of an issue.

• Members

One Traditional Tele
One Traditional Les Paul
One traditional Strat
One Variax
One Roland ready stairmaster
One traditional Hollow or semihollow body ,etc
One traditional six string acoustic electric
One traditional twelve string acoustic electric
One traditional four string music man stingray bass
One traditional five string music man bass
One four string Precision deluxe bass
One Traditional five string Precision bass
One traditional five string Jazz Bass
One four string Fretless precision bass
One traditional five string fretless bass
One acoustic five string bass
One traditional upright double bass fiddle
One traditional areas, guarneri, or Amato, model violin/ fiddle
One traditional five string open back banjo
One traditional eight string mandolin
One traditional baby grand piano
One professional high end keyboard work station
One traditional Trumpet
One traditional Tenor Sax
One traditional soprano sax
One traditional alto sax
One traditional Clarinet
One traditional trombone
One traditional tuba
One traditional flute
One chromatic harmonica
Assortment of harmonicas in various keys
Complete assortment of percussion instruments
One traditional xylophone
One traditional penny whistle
One traditional mouth harp, aka juice harp, aka jews harp
One traditional accordion
One complete double bass pop/rock drum kit
One complete electronic drum kit
One autoharp
One washtub bass

I could probably live with a collection such as this

• Members
you need two,one incase something happens to the other
:p
not including acoustics.....

^^^^ this^^^^ now if we could just get my wife to understand why.....
I am compusive about this. If a guitar starts to become my current favorite, I need another that will sound very similar and have an equal output level. Theory being what if it breaks on stage. I haven't played out in almost two years now. Band broke up and then I shattered my kneecap and have had multiple surgerys. Kinda hard to rock out with a leg brace and a heavy dose of painkillers. BUT I STILL NEED THAT BACKUP! lol

• Members

^^^^ this^^^^ now if we could just get my wife to understand why.....

I am compusive about this. If a guitar starts to become my current favorite, I need another that will sound very similar and have an equal output level. Theory being what if it breaks on stage. I haven't played out in almost two years now. Band broke up and then I shattered my kneecap and have had multiple surgerys. Kinda hard to rock out with a leg brace and a heavy dose of painkillers. BUT I STILL NEED THAT BACKUP! lol

Or you need to restring the Floyd or break a string and don't really feel like it so you grab the hardtail/other guitar and continue on.....

• Members

Carvin/Jackson/Charvel/Ibanez (Superstrat w/Floyd style)

Eww. Do not want.

A few other types I have not in the above:

Electric 12-string: Daisy Retro-H 12

Dano-types (chipboard bolt-neck w/mystery wood center block): x2 (Dano Hodad, Brownsville Choirboy)

Gretsch Jet-style w/Dyna-Sonic type pups: Electromatic Special Jet w/DeArmond 2000s

Ric! (in my case a 620)

• Members

I think a p90 axe with a trem, tele and a hollowbody humbucker guitar with a variety of picks cover a 99% of that electric ground. Really, you could get by with a Taylor GS and a nylon string for the acoustic side. Guitars are a lot more versatile than we give them credit for.

• Members

I have a lot of guitars, but not to "cover the bases." I play in a praise/worship band and we cover everything from rock, to gospel, to syrupy ballads, to traditional hymns, and I only take one guitar... two if I need a acoustic. Sometimes I'll use a LP, sometimes, a tele, sometimes a strat, P-90, even my jazz box. They can all handle anything we play.

What can you play on a Jaguar that a strat or tele can't cover? What can you play on a 335 that a LP can't cover? I'm not saying they all sound the same, and if you "need to cover all the bases" to rationalize multiple guitars, that's fine, but a good LP, strat, 335, tele... you name it, can cover a lot of territory. You don't NEED 12 guitars.

• Members

I have a lot of guitars, but not to "cover the bases." I play in a praise/worship band and we cover everything from rock, to gospel, to syrupy ballads, to traditional hymns, and I only take one guitar... two if I need a acoustic. Sometimes I'll use a LP, sometimes, a tele, sometimes a strat, P-90, even my jazz box. They can all handle anything we play.

What can you play on a Jaguar that a strat or tele can't cover? What can you play on a 335 that a LP can't cover? I'm not saying they all sound the same, and if you "need to cover all the bases" to rationalize multiple guitars, that's fine, but a good LP, strat, 335, tele... you name it, can cover a lot of territory. You don't NEED 12 guitars.

I already said several times that this thread isn't about need. I don't need covering bases to rationalize my guitar purchases either, because I have multiple of some of those and none of others. It's just a thread to ask people what they think they need to cover the general bases of guitar.

• Members

One Traditional Tele

One Traditional Les Paul

One traditional Strat

One Variax

One Roland ready stairmaster

One traditional Hollow or semihollow body ,etc

One traditional six string acoustic electric

One traditional twelve string acoustic electric

One traditional four string music man stingray bass

One traditional five string music man bass

One four string Precision deluxe bass

One Traditional five string Precision bass

One traditional five string Jazz Bass

One four string Fretless precision bass

One traditional five string fretless bass

One acoustic five string bass

One traditional upright double bass fiddle

One traditional areas, guarneri, or Amato, model violin/ fiddle

One traditional five string open back banjo

One traditional eight string mandolin

One traditional baby grand piano

One professional high end keyboard work station

One traditional Trumpet

One traditional Tenor Sax

One traditional soprano sax

One traditional alto sax

One traditional Clarinet

One traditional trombone

One traditional tuba

One traditional flute

One chromatic harmonica

Assortment of harmonicas in various keys

Complete assortment of percussion instruments

One traditional xylophone

One traditional penny whistle

One traditional mouth harp, aka juice harp, aka jews harp

One traditional accordion

One complete double bass pop/rock drum kit

One complete electronic drum kit

One autoharp

One washtub bass

I could probably live with a collection such as this

Not sure I could cope with just one Flute, very limiting.

• Members
ROFL.

Ya know I've made a thread and a post about my new awesome "plastic" guitar. No one cares. Everyone should own a Switch, best guitar I've played for the money and it's plastic, there, i said it again (I almost bought a 60's jaguar last week too, I'd probably rather the Jag neck but the switch still wins overall).
;)

I love the concept of those. The idea of an artificial wood substitute that you can 'fix' the tone of by altering the mix is genius: none of the inherent unpredictability of an organic material like wood. I just wish they would have a broader aesthetic - I really can't get on with the whole dayglo metalhead thing they have going on.

Archived