What collection reasonably covers all the bases?

Blackface

• Members

Like has already been pointed out, guitars are definitely not a "need" even when talking about just one.

That said, I could have gotten by just fine with the first 2 guitars I bought (an Epi LP, and an Ibanez Acoustic). I buy other guitars because I want to. Not because I fool myself into thinking i need them, they will make me a better player, or that I need a specific guitar for a specific style/song.

As soon as we all just accept the fact that people by multiple guitars for no other reason than they want to the sooner we can move along to more important topics like the benefits of nitro and boiled strings.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Like has already been pointed out, guitars are definitely not a "need" even when talking about just one.

That said, I could have gotten by just fine with the first 2 guitars I bought (an Epi LP, and an Ibanez Acoustic). I buy other guitars because I want to. Not because I fool myself into thinking i need them, they will make me a better player, or that I need a specific guitar for a specific style/song.

As soon as we all just accept the fact that people by multiple guitars for no other reason than they want to the sooner we can move along to more important topics like the benefits of nitro and boiled strings.

This thread (and pretty much the entire board) is about want, not need.

• Members

Top 2

• Strat

• ES-335/339

Top 5

• Strat

• Tele

• Les Paul Jr (or SG) w/P-90

• ES-335/339

• Ibanez RG

Top 10

• 50s Strat

• 70s Strat

• Tele

• Jazzmaster

• ES-335/339

• Les Paul

• Les Paul Jr (or SG) w/P90

• Ibanez RG with Floyd

• Some sort of Rickenbacker or Gretsch?

Plus a nice acoustic-electric and maybe a classical. :cool:

• Members

How many bases are you trying to cover? Is free jazz included? Industrial? Death metal? Indie slacker punk?

Does any guitar player really, really need to cover all the bases? If I have no interest in jazz, do I really need to cover that base, or am I just buying guitars to say I have all the bases covered?

Is any guitar essential? Or are we stuck in a debate over, as the kids say it, first-world problems?

• Members

It really depends how picky you are and how lazy you are. Electric guitars sound more like each other than different. One is enough to cover a wide range of tones with a little tweaking of volume and tone controls on guitar, pedal and amp.

If you ask me, there is more need for a variaty of acoustics than electrics.

Totally agree with all these points.

I could have encapsulated all my long-winded BS into just these few words if I was good at being succinct like that.

• Members

no.

now let's talk about something that actually matters. like environmental sustainability or something.

There is some crossover in the conversation. For instance, I have started playing only guitars made of reclaimed polyvinylchloride and styrofoam.

• Members

ROFL.

no.

now let's talk about something that actually matters. like environmental sustainability or something.

Ya know I've made a thread and a post about my new awesome "plastic" guitar. No one cares. Everyone should own a Switch, best guitar I've played for the money and it's plastic, there, i said it again (I almost bought a 60's jaguar last week too, I'd probably rather the Jag neck but the switch still wins overall). ;)

• Members

I posted "1. Tele" earlier today, but I have to admit that I just got an SG and I'm kinda diggin' it. Nice and light (compared to my telecaster), fun to play. Missing some of the things I like about my tele, though. Maybe you need two guitars, sufficiently different from each other that you can appreciate the qualities of each. But as many as some of the folks here? People who look under the bed in the spare room and find two Les Pauls and a Strat they forgot they had? Geez.

Some comedian (Robin Williams?) said "Cocaine is God's way of telling you that you have too much money."

• Members

I reckon if I really had to, I could cut my collection down to 3 electrics and still be happy:

Explorer

Jim Root strat (which does an impressive acoustic impression)

Cabronita Tele

Firebird Studio (If i could keep 4)

No acoustics (never really play them) and 2 basses.

Archived