The Reverse Bbreaker Thread - Let's see your guitars YOU PAID TOO MUCH for and why?

GAS Man

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

With the "new HCEG" you get e-mails when folks reply to your thread. - So thanks, it was fun to see this one again.

smiley-wink

back from the days when this site rolled like a chat site.

And indeed, if we could have only freed Batotman. One of my top favorite contributors. He bought and flipped gear like a Mad Hatter and his commentary on gear was blunt but light at the same time. Hard to manage that.

• Members

AFAIK, I didn't post to this thread originally so here goes. First, my Alvarez RD10 beater was the first and only guitar I ever bought on eBay. I'd owned Alvarez instruments and thought they were okay. I didn't know at the time it was a POS or that the seller wouldn't ship it after he took my money. I paid $91 shipped and when the guitar finally arrived after six weeks I realized that was too much. I still have the guitar but I wouldn't buy another. Second, my Fernandes Strat copy was my first electric, only $50 on CraigsList, but it needed lots of TLC and it still wouldn't intonate properly when I got rid of it. I sold it for less than I had in it. I hope never again.

• Members

The only one I paid too much for, was a PRS Santana SE. tried to like, I mean really tried to like it. But no matter what I did, it sounded the same, played the same, and felt the same. Ended up selling it for a lot less then I should have, just to get the bad taste out of my mouth.

• Members

The only thing I can think of that I paid too much for was my brand new Gibson Joe Bonamassa that I didn't buy used. Stupid to pay full retail for a Gibson. Gibson owners baby their guitars, then they sell them for a nice discount to buy more. Nice guitar, just could have gotten a better deal. I did the same thing when I bought my Peavey Delta Blues. My $1600 Carvin though, worth every last penny.

• Members

strugglers143_zpsaecf2e6c.jpg

And then there's this one. Handmade by R.C. Allen, who worked for, and then with, Paul Bigsby. Sadly, Mr. Allen passed a couple years ago. I first saw this guitar at a guitar show, put passed. A year later, the same dealer brought the same guitar to that year's show, and I couldn't stop myself. This one is a thin body, semi-hollow. Most of Mr. Allen's guitars are full-body, full hollow jazz boxes, but this one is kind of a hybrid between his jazz guitars and the Paul Bigsby-style smaller body.

Archived