The Reverse Bbreaker Thread - Let's see your guitars YOU PAID TOO MUCH for and why?

GAS Man

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My Gilmour black strat clone. I paid a the guy that built it $1000, which is what an Am Std went for new. And its essentially a partscaster with a mexican neck, albeit a really fecking good one. The guy claimed to have well over that just in parts and it was the best setup, best sounding strat I have ever played. Beautiful, huge sound with the gilmour wiring, and dead quiet. The hand wound pups sound far better than even my BGpups in my other strat (which I love).

Despite all that I till wonder why I paid $1000 for a partscaster!

• Members

My '03 Gibson Les Paul Custom in Silverburst.

Paid full MAP + tax at Sam Ash because, at the time, the Silverburst Custom was a limited run for Sam Ash only and it was the only place to get one. And for some reason, I convinced myself that day I needed to have one.

Had I known within a year or so Gibson was going to reissue Silverburst as a standard color for the Customs (and put out a Silverburst version of just about every model they make), I probably would have waited and got a better deal down the road.

On the upside, MAP for a Custom in '03 was about $2500 and not the $4k that it is today...

Gibson has a nasty habit of doing that sort of thing, don't they?

Nevertheless, I think Flintc wins this one, especially for admitting that he really doesn't play the damn thing all that much.

• Members

DSCF1405.jpg

Paid full retail. $899 plus tax. MIJ. I see em for 650-700 on ebay.

Though I LOVE this guitar, so "too much" is subjective. I gig it a lot, this and the green on a more or less alternating schedule, gigged it Friday actually. So good. There is literally nothing I would change about it. It's perfect.

• Members

Never overpaid for a guitar, but I did overpay for this old Fender amp on purpose. Met the guy at this house, met his wife and little boy just a few days before Christmas a couple of years back. He wanted a fair price for it but they were living in a craphole apartment, they seemed like really nice people that were just down on their luck and this guy was selling his last piece of gear for Christmas money. I gave him an extra hundred and said Merry Christmas.

2011-05-20_19-20-08_450.jpg

• Members

New Fender Custom Shop David Gilmour relic. $3000. Because i'm a fanboy, got $1,800 off and it's an amazing guitar in both weight and tone. Is it worth the price? nope. No guitar is worth that price IMO (coming from builder's perspective anyway). Couldn't i have built this guitar either from scratch or parts cheaper... yes. Again, I'm a fanboy and it rules. Don't care. :D I play this guitar a lot.

DCP_0173.jpg

• Members

I hear ya. That's a tough call. I really wanted one but the price was a deal-breaker for me. Everytime I am reminded of the price I remember that it's a Custom Shop guitar, so that helps justify it.

I think i'm most weirded out by it, because i'm a builder. I'd be less apprehensive to talk about the price if that wasn't so :lol:

That said, I got to talk to the guy(s) who put it together. It was a few years ago, but i think it was Todd Krause and Cary something. They were great guys. Told me a bit about the process, they fixed a minor issue with the cosmetics for free and even sprung for shipping back and forth. Told me it was "the most perfectly balanced Gilmour Strat they have touched in terms of weight". They told me that if anything went wrong, they would have no issue with replacing any parts, etc. Great dudes.

• Members

This whole post is really just mean.

Not really. Without knowing when the items were purchase we have no way of knowing whether $2k was a good deal or not...

If it was last week, obviously a great deal. If it was decades ago, anyone could have picked up the same stuff for that price (more or less).

• Members

I paid too much for my cheapest guitars, not because I paid too much for them compared to the average retail selling price, or even compared to what I may sell them for now used, but because I never play them. I purchased them all on SDOTD or some other such blow-out deal over the years. I'm too lazy to post 'em on Ebay because they won't bring much. Fender Bullet Strat, Squier '51, Epiphone Wilshire, Ibanez Art 100, heck, I may even part with my PRS SE Soapbar II that I snagged as a slight scratch and dent at my GC. Never play them, may or may not get my money back, need to post 'em, pack 'em and ship 'em out. Hassle. Therefore paid too much.

The only super-cheapo guitar that was a really good deal was the Rondo SX Tele style. It's the only cheapie that I play frequently.

• Members

I paid too much for my cheapest guitars, not because I paid too much for them compared to the average retail selling price, or even compared to what I may sell them for now used, but because I never play them. I purchased them all on SDOTD or some other such blow-out deal over the years. I'm too lazy to post 'em on Ebay because they won't bring much. Fender Bullet Strat, Squier '51, Epiphone Wilshire, Ibanez Art 100, heck, I may even part with my PRS SE Soapbar II that I snagged as a slight scratch and dent at my GC. Never play them, may or may not get my money back, need to post 'em, pack 'em and ship 'em out. Hassle. Therefore paid too much.

The only super-cheapo guitar that was a really good deal was the Rondo SX Tele style. It's the only cheapie that I play frequently.

I hear all of this. Over the years I've bought and sold a ton of cheapies, and every time i convince myself I need something that will approximate this or sound like that, and I always regret it.

I've only ever bought one sub 500 guitar I ended up keeping, and honestly I'm surprised it came that low.

• Members

I hear all of this. Over the years I've bought and sold a ton of cheapies, and every time i convince myself I need something that will approximate this or sound like that, and I always regret it.

I've only ever bought one sub 500 guitar I ended up keeping, and honestly I'm surprised it came that low.

Yup. But like every rule, in this case "DON'T BUY A CHEAP GUITAR", it's made to be broken. It's those damned exceptions to the rule that suck you in. I mentioned the Rondo SX, that I alternate tune and keep beside my other players, but I also play a guitar that I bought for $35.00 almost every weekend on my deck. I just leave it out there in the sun for anyone to pick up. I love that stupid guitar, the cheapest I've ever purchased...

402649995.jpg

Archived