So how hard is a four fret stretch for you at the 1st fret?

honeyiscool

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I don't have very large hands. Not to be quasi racist or anything, but Americans have larger hands than Asians but my hands are among the smallest that I've seen on American men. Most of my girlfriends/wife (at separate times of course
:)
) have had just slightly smaller hands than I do though my fingers are... meatier.

I have the benefit of having really skinny fingers that can easily play all the way up to the 22nd fret and they can do pretty big stretches because they've been trained from an early age. Since I have a lot flexibility, I prefer having small hands.

• Members

You know, this stretch (used for sixths or ninths, usually)
(see, I used a 25.5" scale guitar).

It's not completely easy but I find this to be a pretty simple stretch. Now, five frets, that's hard (although doable)... six frets is not possible with my hands.

just checked this now. a four-fret stretch is easy. five-frets isn't bad either. six-frets OK. seven-fret stretch is difficult, and completely impractical, but if i ever needed to, i could get there. eight frets is not possible with my hands. true story.

• Members

I can span about 8.5" from pinky to thumb as well. A 180 degree stretch used to be the only way I could reach octaves on a piano

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/1341/photo2lmp.jpg

Letter paper for reference.

You're placing way too much emphasis on fret reach. Watch this video of Shawn Lane. He does a stretch at about :56. It isn't even a difficult stretch. What's more important is the combination of all the aspects of his dexterity and execution.

Put this in perspective. Your fret reach doesn't make you a virtuoso by any stretch. ;)

[video=youtube;uF1rM2dSAZ4]

• Members

I can get 1-5 prett easy, 1-6 with some stretching, but 1-7 requires a slide to get there. At that point, though, why not just play in another position?

I developed more flexibility thanks to the prevalence of the D5 chord in modern worship music. Thanks Hillsong :p

• Members

I can span about 8.5" from pinky to thumb as well. A 180 degree stretch used to be the only way I could reach octaves on a piano

photo2lmp.jpg

Letter paper for reference.

I got 9.5:) But my pinkie doesn't bend that far. And my hands are definately not that large.

So, what's the next step, here:o

Hehe

• Members

4 isn't hard 5 not to bad, my palms are kind of wide but I have short fingers I span 8.75 if I had long fingers I could really stretch. But what does it really matter the late great Randy Rhoads had little hands from what everyone has said EVH claims not to have big hands. Jimi had big hands as well as SRV, Chris Squire the bassist from Yes says he plays bass because of his big hands. You have to play the hand your delt lol.

• Members

My pinky to thumb is 10.5 but really, shouldn't your stretch be from index to pinky? My thumb doesn't come into the equation with long stretches.

You're correct. While some people do use their thumb to fret or mute strings, a decent stretch will have the thumb positioned behind the neck. Therefore, index to pinky is the measure that would matter for guitar fret-hand spread, not thumb to pinky.

The reason this got forked up is that the geek who started this thread is a pianist. The thumb to pinky spread does matter for note reach on a piano. As for guitar, not so much....unless you play like Jeff Healy or Stanley Jordan.

The OP is to blame for this thread derail. I'm officially calling the time of death 1:00 am MST.

• Members

You're correct. While some people do use their thumb to fret or mute strings, a decent stretch will have the thumb positioned behind the neck. Therefore, index to pinky is the measure that would matter for guitar fret-hand spread, not thumb to pinky.

The reason this got forked up is that the geek who started this thread is a pianist. The thumb to pinky spread does matter for note reach on a piano. As for guitar, not so much....unless you play like Jeff Healy or Stanley Jordan.

The OP is to blame for this thread derail. I'm officially calling the time of death 1:00 am MST.

There was a thread on delcamp's classical guitar forum that asked people to measure their hand and say what scale length they preferred. There was a strong correlation between thumb-little finger span and a much weaker correlation with index-little finger span.

Archived