Sky Les Paul

fuzztone

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not the guitar *I* would go for these days, but.... I love knowing that something playable is available at such a low end price. Most parents don't want to spend a fortune on a guitar little Johnny won't stick to, while if the one they do buy is unplayable, he won't....

Yes, it's too bad that SKY can use that headstock shape for their LP copies, but Epiphone can't. I mean golly, Gibson might SUE Epiphone for infringement or something...
:rolleyes:

Heh. I've always speculated it to be a mix of the following:

1] Gibson don't want Epiphones to be too similar that way in case someone uses them as a base to make "fake Gibsons". That said, Fender don't seem to have found this to be an insurmountable problem with Squier / MIM / MIK / MIJ / CIJ / etc being passed off as higher end....

2] "Correct" headstock shape is one of the things that Gibson fans put so much stock in, maybe Gibby feel it would be one less thing that they have to encourage Epi players to "trade up" to their more expensive line.

• Members

I get really confused when folks buy stuff like this. I mean, you can get an Epi used for $200 off CL. Why 'save' money on garbage that is in essence valueless and going to need 100's in parts over time to make it usable? That demo....gah....those pickups sound like old telephone handsets without all the bass the handsets had :)

I will be really curious to see what you think of it when it arrives, but I would 'keep the receipt'...

• Members
I get really confused when folks buy stuff like this. I mean, you can get an Epi used for $200 off CL.I will be really curious to see what you think of it when it arrives, but I would 'keep the receipt'...

Thanks, I like this guitar. I had wanted to get a Cherry Sunburst Les Paul that looks like the one I used to have

DSCF3518-1-1.jpg100_0906_edited-1-1-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

but I didn't want to have to sell my other guitars to buy one. For $139 I can have this guitar and keep my other guitars too.Plus,this guitar has a money back guarantee,something you don't get on Craigslist. :)

DSCF3516-1.jpg

• Members

The question is: could you play a gig with it and not have major problems partway thru the gig? If it's giggable it's a good guitar you can take onstage and not be afraid of it getting stolen or beaten up too badly since replacing it isn't nearly as painful as replacing a stolen '59.

• Members

The question is: could you play a gig with it and not have major problems partway thru the gig? If it's giggable it's a good guitar you can take onstage and not be afraid of it getting stolen or beaten up too badly since replacing it isn't nearly as painful as replacing a stolen '59.

I'm sorry, gig?

• Members

Well, I am anxious to see how it stacks up. Some of the cheap guitars are crazy good now, and your point about the no money back CL guarantee is valid...But, I am old enough to remember stuff like Memphis Strat copies that were just god awful pieces of crap. But when GC puts those little Epi LP Jr's on sale, they are like $89, and they are totally workable as a gig guitar ( where you leave your home or practice space and play music in front of at least one person who is not related to you, or dating you :p...I would not know for sure...:p

• Members

That Sky reminds me of an MRW Les Paul copy I got off CL a few years back. I don't think they have standard gigs for putting these together, so you may find some things now aligned exactly as you may want. I had to get my bridge moved as mine wasn't aligned properly. Pickups sounded great, but were unpotted and squealed pretty bad at higher volumes. And they only put one, thin coat of lacquer on it, so it doesn't take much to cause a chip or 2.

But with a few tweaks these make solid players. Wishing you many happy years together.

• Members

I have just been informed that former HC forumite Ricco Pollan, aka SKYNET, is the owner of the SKY Les Paul company. He could

not use the SKYNET name due to trademark issues, so he shortened the name to "SKY".

Due to this fact you can rest assured that the frets are "GLUED IN", and not simply machine hammered. We all know that glued in

frets for imports are the only way to go.

• Members

Buy 2 or 3, or even 4 of these for gigging guitars.

Tweak them into gig-able instruments and wear them out over a period of a few years.

For the ones that weren't stolen, use those for trading fodder later on.

• Members
I have just been informed that former HC forumite Ricco Pollan, aka SKYNET, is the owner of the SKY Les Paul company. He could

not use the SKYNET name due to trademark issues, so he shortened the name to "SKY".

Due to this fact you can rest assured that the frets are "GLUED IN", and not simply machine hammered. We all know that glued in

frets for imports are the only way to go.

Wow I remember Rico!

MYINVESTIGATORPIC.jpg

5150-KAT-JEWELS-10037.jpg

I also remember Harold Heckuba,lol.

p1.jpg

Archived